4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Bolt-On Part testing on dyno, for all to read

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 12:30 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

Default Bolt-On Part testing on dyno, for all to read

Ok, im currently a student at the Universal Technical Institute in Chicago, IL. Im currently enrolled in a street legal performance class, where I have the chance to work on an 02 Mustang GT, 5 spd. The car has 45000 miles on it. The color is gunmetal, and is completely stock when i start.

Alright, Day 1, we tested the car with a 5-Gas machine, we are running a little lean but nothing that will hurt the stang. I have two exhaust leaks where the stock h-pipe connects to the mufflers, enough to hcange the O2 output on the 5-gas but opnce again, nothing going to hurt the stang. I checked all fluid levels, rear differential fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid, engine oil, transmission fluid, and engine coolant. I also went through the car with a Modis scanner and made sure there were no codes in the system.

Once all completed i put the stang on the Dyno. We use a Dynojet system. We baselined the car at 221 Horsepower and 254 Ft/Lbs Torque. We did a second run to make sure it was accurate and came up with numbers of 218 Horsepower and 251 Ft/Lbs Torque. Ok accurate enough.

There are numerous mods i will be performing and testing on the Dyno within the next two weeks on the mustang. Some of them include as simple as changing an air filter, taking off the air box, or as big as NOS and also a Vortex supercharger. There will also be exhaust modifications, seen as how this is a street legal course, we will have a chance to add high flow cats and will be able to change out to different mufflers.

I will try to post as often as possible as I do these mods and run the stang on the dyno. I will post pictures of the Dyno pulls and we will see if changing an air filter, exhaust, or adding a power adder will make your PI Mustang any faster than it is.

Will
Old 04-27-2006, 01:06 AM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Bolt-On Part testing on dyno, for all to read

I cant wait to hear more.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:28 PM
Acer2428
Site Mod

Default RE: Bolt-On Part testing on dyno, for all to read

Ok guys, sorry i didnt get a dyno slip for this one, forgot my camera. but i wrote down the numbers and yes they are accurate.

For our first dyno test we installed a 75 mm BBK throttle body along with a BBK High Flow Plenum. BBK says it has posted up to a 15 HP and 20 ft/lbs gain when used together. Installation was relatively easy. All it takes is some basic hand tools and basic knowlegde of them. We pulled off the old plenum and thorttle body in about 30 min and had the new ones installed in about the same time. After this we took the car for a drive to make sure the car learned that we have modified the intake and gave it time to re calibrate the engine. Ford says to drive for up to 10 miles so we gave it about 15 miles. We pulled back in and started right up on our dyno run.

After three pulls on the dyno we discovered we had lost about 1 hp and about 3 ft/lbs of torque on average. After comparing the runs to the baseline tests we had done, we discovered we had gained a little more on the low end torque but it pretty much equaled out on the top end of our naturally aspirated engine.

After this test we have another Mustang GT 2003 we are able to use. This one has a Vortech Supercharger on it, a v-2 s-trim, pushing 8 psi. We will save the HP rating for this car later on in the tests. After installing the same setup of intake plenum and thorttle body onto this car, we saw much more dramatic increases in HP. BBK said they say up to 15 hp gained and 20 ft/lbs gained, well with this setup we saw a dramatic 18 hp gained and 21 ft/lbs on this forced induction mustang.

And once again sorry for not including the dyno sheets as i was not able to get them.

Will
Old 09-29-2008, 02:49 PM
Alias3800
1st Gear Member

man I wish I had that class here at my school!

Either way, it seems awesome.. I'll be keeping up with this too, very interested.

Rob
Old 09-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Alias3800
1st Gear Member

I'm like.. 2 years late.

Damn
Old 09-29-2008, 04:33 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

This is why I hate the search function......
Old 09-29-2008, 05:18 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Too bad, it would have been great to see some real, unbiased numbers. The TB/Plenum "gains" do not surprise me in the least, without a tune intake mods are good for nothing...
Old 09-29-2008, 05:29 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by Alias3800
I'm like.. 2 years late.

Damn
Yea you are!
Old 09-29-2008, 06:46 PM
avlon06
5th Gear Member

some pretty good info, keep up the good work!
Old 09-29-2008, 07:01 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

I'm sure he will keep up the work on this two year old thread. Nice zombie though

Quick Reply: Bolt-On Part testing on dyno, for all to read