4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Throttle Position Sensor ~ 02 GT

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 03:16 PM
djdalfaro
2nd Gear Member

Default Throttle Position Sensor ~ 02 GT

Is it easy? Will it help? How do I do it? Thanks in advance.

~Alf
Old 04-28-2006, 03:21 PM
Tac2cul
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Throttle Position Sensor ~ 02 GT

so um whats the question again?
Old 04-28-2006, 03:28 PM
djdalfaro
2nd Gear Member

Well the question was how do I adjust the throttle position sensor, but I found the information on Accufab's website. I will post the information here. Thanks anyways.

To adjust the TPS, please refer to the following:

Disconnect the ground cable from the battery.

Remove the TPS from the original throttle body and install it on the new Accufab throttle body. If new screws have been provided in the package from Accufab, use these screws (they are shorter). If not, reuse the original or stock screws.

Reconnect the TPS to the wire harness.

Reconnect the battery.

Now, the TPS needs to be adjusted to achieve the correct voltage at idle. Changes to the idle speed can ONLY be made by adjusting the TPS.

DO NOT ADJUST THE STOP SCREW ON THE THROTTLE BODY UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. This screw has been pre-set at the factory to insure a proper air gap around the throttle blade in the fully closed position. If by chance this stop screw has been adjusted in the field, please call our TechLine for further assistance.

The TPS is connected to the main wire harness with three separate, color coded wires:

Gray & Red

Gray & White

Brown & White

The gray & red wire is the ground wire (could also be a black wire).

The gray & white wire provides the voltage information to the ECM (could also be a green wire).

The brown & white wire provides a 5-volt reference signal WITH THE KEY ON (could also be an orange wire).

If you have any problems identifying the different colors or if the wires are different colors from those described, check inside the plastic quick disconnect plug. The plug connection tangs should have an “Aâ€, “Bâ€, and “C†next to each tang.

A = gray & red wire

B = gray & white wire

C = brown & white wire

Because of the different suppliers of TPS’s, and the potential for different wire colors, you may need to “poke around†on the wires in order to determine the positive and negative leads. An easy way to take voltage readings is to stick a safety pin through the individual wires, and then make contact with your Volt Meter probes to the safety pins.

To check voltage, THE IGNITION KEY NEEDS TO BE IN THE ON POSITION BUT THE ENGINE MUST NOT BE RUNNING. With the positive (+) lead from your voltmeter, pierce the gray & white wire. With the negative (-) lead from your voltmeter, pierce the gray and red wire. The voltmeter should read no less than .98 volts nor more than 1.0 volts. If the voltage is too high, loosen, but do not remove, the two screws holding the TPS to the throttle body, and rotate the unit counter-clockwise, until the voltage is correct. Rotating the unit clockwise will increase the corresponding voltage. When the voltage is correct, retighten the two screws. The only adjustment is the “slop†between the inside diameter of the holes and the outside diameter of the screws, so we are dealing with just a few degrees of rotation.

~Alf
Old 04-28-2006, 04:33 PM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

My TPS is so effed up my car barely even runs. That article was very helpful tho.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:52 PM
2VNA
4th Gear Member

get another, there cheep, mine broke.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:18 PM
Tac2cul
3rd Gear Member

wow i just removed mine from old TB and put on new TB with no issues...hmmmmm
Old 04-28-2006, 06:21 PM
2VNA
4th Gear Member

I had too many beers and steped on mine, that's how it broke. LOL that was a fun night.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:22 PM
Tac2cul
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2VNA

I had too many beers and steped on mine, that's how it broke. LOL that was a fun night.

lol damn.... what else did ya step on throughout the night?
Old 04-28-2006, 06:25 PM
2VNA
4th Gear Member

on a diffrent day my friend came driving up and ran over my mass air sencer. I got a new one at pick a part. same car same color just had the passanger side door in the drivers seat. But i did fall out of my shed that nigt too.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:26 PM
Tac2cul
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2VNA

on a diffrent day my friend came driving up and ran over my mass air sencer. I got a new one at pick a part. same car same color just had the passanger side door in the drivers seat. But i did fall out of my shed that nigt too.

sounds like a fun night lol

Quick Reply: Throttle Position Sensor ~ 02 GT