4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Why do I spend my life savings just to enter the race?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 08:22 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Why do I spend my life savings just to enter the race?

ORIGINAL: Sonicpilz

Cams, nitrous, or S/C = $1000 - $5000. Investing that much money just to have a stock Mach or cobra (maybe) by a car length or two seems a little extreme don't ya think??
The cams are not a huge bang/buck kind of thing, but going from 265~ RHWP to 290+ RWHP is a big difference.

On the nitrous or blower route, I have to guess you have never ridden in a aftermarket supercharged 4.6? Even a all stock GT with a blower will simply eat a stock mach 1 alive.

There is simply no comparsion of my car before and after the blower. I think my LS1 video proved that. Its not so much a matter of a few "cars" as it is busslenthgs

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/D...EDFA8BF75E.htm

BTW the first run is by far the closest of our runs. Usually from a roll I could put a few cars on him and then he would hang back there.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:25 PM
ScorpiuS
2nd Gear Member

Well instead of buying your GT, you shoulda just bought a mach 1 (which would have been maybe bout the same as your GT+5-7k) but it would be bone stock and you wouldn't feel the pleasure of knowing you have modded a car that you customized and beefed up yourself. It's just depressing seeing people so dissapointed. Don't blame anyone,especially your GT, just blame yourself because you dont have the cash flow you need for your own satisfaction.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:27 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

well, in the other thread, you said you spent $2000. you spent it on the wrong stuff if you wanted to be as fast as a mach1.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:28 PM
03redGT
3rd Gear Member

start racing slower cars
Old 05-12-2006, 08:29 PM
Sonicpilz
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ScorpiuS

Well instead of buying your GT, you shoulda just bought a mach 1 (which would have been maybe bout the same as your GT+5-7k) but it would be bone stock and you wouldn't feel the pleasure of knowing you have modded a car that you customized and beefed up yourself. It's just depressing seeing people so dissapointed. Don't blame anyone,especially your GT, just blame yourself because you dont have the cash flow you need for your own satisfaction.

Good point. Supercharger just isn't something in my budget. I don't want to finance engine parts for my already financed mustang. And NO I've never been in a sprayed or supercharged 4.6. I LOVE that video every time I watch it. I think I'm gonna go buy a few lottery tickets tonight..
Old 05-12-2006, 08:30 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Hell, the simple fact is the competition has gotten pretty rough the past few years. We are in another musclecar era, where even the import cars are making 300 horsepower from the factory.

I mean, low 13 second ls1s, evos, STI, 400 horsepower stock 03 cobras, the c5 z06, the c6, and c6 zo6.

Its a rough world out there, if you want to play with the big boys you have to spend some serious cash one way or the other. The only question is, do you want to build it up yourself, or spend a little more over a longer period (payments) and be fast in a stock car?
Old 05-12-2006, 08:31 PM
PearlRyde

There's ways to offset that cost, I'm sure you know all know you can make alot of money parting out a car. For example: My 3000gt was NA 161hp. I searched for 6months for a wrecked vr4 with a good front clip. Found one rear end smashed by a semi for $1500. I took the motor, ecu, wiring and transferred it to my NA 3000gt. Parted out the rest of the good parts from the vr4 and my old motor and made $3500. I had $2000 to play with and now my 16 sec 3000gt runs 12's, and not one penny of it came from my pocket (With exception to the initial $1500 investment I made) I'm working on doing the same thing for the mustang now.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:32 PM
Sonicpilz
2nd Gear Member

Yeah but with Nitrous, or a S/C I can't pull up beside somebody and say "I've only got exhaust", then throw rocks in their windshield as I wiz by. I like being kinda "stealth" about my mods.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:35 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sonicpilz

ORIGINAL: ScorpiuS

Good point. Supercharger just isn't something in my budget. I don't want to finance engine parts for my already financed mustang. And NO I've never been in a sprayed or supercharged 4.6. I LOVE that video every time I watch it. I think I'm gonna go buy a few lottery tickets tonight..
Just don't go out there and try to take on 400+ HP cars IF you just get LTs and some sticky tires you should be able to play with most of the cars you will run into stoplight to stoplight.

Being completely honest here, I have only gone down twice since I owned my car. I have never been one to back down from a streetrace. How often are you acutally getting to line up with something that is putting you away hard? I dunno about where you live, but around here they seem to be fairly few and far between.

If I was on a limited budget, I would either buy a foxbody, or spray a small shot on my car. I would stay around a 75 shot (just take it easy) and get a good tune for the nitrous. If you get beat with the bottle close ask em to pull over for a minute to talk, and then race again
Old 05-12-2006, 08:35 PM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

I think you should be driving an econo box.

Quick Reply: Why do I spend my life savings just to enter the race?