4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

*2nd UPDATE/ PICS / loosing coolant

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 02:35 AM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

Default *2nd UPDATE/ PICS / loosing coolant

ok so my radiator light comes on for the 34th time. Ive been having to fill it up once a week. I check the level of water and by GOD its almost all gone , i had just filled it up ONE DAY ago , so i refill it up with like 4 cups of water. in one day whats causeing it to loose so much coolant. Somone suggested its the INtake Manifold and my car is gonna die soon [&:]
Old 05-16-2006, 02:42 AM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

Default RE: loosing coolant BAD!

start looking for the leak, if your not confident have a mechanic do it, prolly is the manifold, but it could be many things. no white smoke out of the exhaust i assume? if not then either a hose, radiator or intake manifold.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:48 AM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

check your carpet under your glove ccompartment. if its wet then your heater core is the problem. also check the front/back of the intake manifol especially the thermostat housing. if the intake is fine check the hoses on your radiator and the radiator itself. it should be real obvious where the leak is if youre lossing that much.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:06 AM
miglet
2nd Gear Member

i had the same problem..

it was my water pump.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:50 AM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

I guess until i can really get this fixed iam gonan need more then just a bottle of **** in the glove box. ill need water

HA ( MF inside joke)
Old 05-16-2006, 12:07 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

ok so i just checked the coolant this morning and its GONE very very low again , there is no mosture on the carpet under the glove box. Being such a fast leak if should be easy to find. The car hasnt been started since i filled up the collant last night.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:18 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

ok so the puddle is a dead giveaway( there really hasent been a puddle til today) the leak is coming from the left side (facing the car head on) of the radiator. Looks like there is some rust on it half way down where it has been doing this for a while. What should i do, take the whole thing out and try to patch it? I have a second car to drive so taken stuff apart is no problem. I just dont know where to beging on fixing this. [&:]
Old 05-16-2006, 12:18 PM
red2k1gt
5th Gear Member

if you didnt start it and it lost all that just look under the car and see where its leaking from.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:25 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Check the bottom of the coolant resevoir. I had this problem, the plastic resevoir sits in a metal bracket with a "tounge", stresses of driving the car cause the resevoir to move back and forth, and stress the plastic, depending on the angle the level of the leak will vary. also pour straight water (cause it's free!) and see if the radiator itself leaks. You can pretty much rule out head gasket because it drained wtith the car off. Another place is the lower radiator hose. Gravity is working for you here, because it's narrowing down what the problem can be :P
Old 05-16-2006, 12:29 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SXGT

......... the leak is coming from the left side (facing the car head on) of the radiator. Looks like there is some rust on it half way down where it has been doing this for a while. What should i do, take the whole thing out and try to patch it? I have a second car to drive so taken stuff apart is no problem. I just dont know where to beging on fixing this. [&:]

is there a hose on the bottem on this side?

Quick Reply: *2nd UPDATE/ PICS / loosing coolant