4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:11 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement - tips/tricks/advice please

Old 05-18-2006, 12:19 PM
Wes8398
1st Gear Member

Default Front Wheel Bearing Replacement - tips/tricks/advice please

I think I posted in the wrong area first time (General Tech), so mods can go ahead and delete that thread if they want to. I'll see if I can delete it myself.

Anyway ...

First off - yes I bought the car. Why I was unsure can be read about HERE, but be prepared to read a lot if you want the story. lol. There isn't a thing wrong with the car besides this wheel bearing .. I had a mechanic check it out for me, he drove it, hoisted it, etc ... said the car's in great shape .. just needed the wheel bearing and I'd be golden. So, I bought it (this afternoon).
Anyway, I got the bearing from NAPA for $80 (CAD) and I want to do the job myself if it's not too difficlut. I did lots of work with my old car, but that was just a 4-banger import P.O.S. I bought a Haynze (I know, it's no Helm's ... but it'll help at least) and it makes it sound pretty simple to change the bearing. I just wanted to check with those of you who have done it, see what tips and tricks you have and make sure that special tools aren't needed and so on. Any help would be greatly appreciated because the Haynze is VERY brief and lacks detail.
Like I said in the title, it's a front bearing. I'm not positive which one it is, but I think it's the passenger side because the sound goes away when you're on a right hand bank/turn ... is that right? Or do I have it backwards?

Thanks!!!
Old 05-18-2006, 01:44 PM
cobrapony27
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Front Wheel Bearing Replacement - tips/tricks/advice please

Very easy, half hour at the most, jack it up, pull wheel off, take your caliper, bracket off, slide the brake rotor off, then they might be a black dust cover on the end so may have to pop it off, if i remember the nut is either 34 or 38MM, take it loose old wheal bearing slides off slide your new one on and put everything back on. Also if you have a toque wrench or maybe a friend has one, be sure to torque it to the proper specs, if its not then it will fail again rather quickly. And if it has ABS be careful not to damage the sensor that sticks out.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:39 AM
Wes8398
1st Gear Member

Thanks!!
If I don't have and can't find a torque wrench, what are your suggestions? I know it's important to have the hub nut tightened to specs, so I don't wanna mess around. As for the ABS, I was reading about that in my Haynze ... I'll be careful.
Oh, and can you verify for me ... if the sound goes away on a RIGHT hand turn/bank ... that indicates which side bearing?
Old 05-19-2006, 02:22 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

If you're turning right, and the sound goes away, that means that it's your right wheel bearing. You're taking pressure off of that wheel, eliminating the slop in the bearing unit..

The torque specs for the bearing is 253ft/lbs... That's a TON!!! In fact, the best way to do it is to use a torque wrench... Another good tip is to get it on tight, back it off a few turns, and then re-torque.. It's going to take serious effort, even w/ a long handled-wrench.. Don't forget to inspect the spindle, and lightly re-grease it.

JT
Old 05-19-2006, 04:33 PM
Wes8398
1st Gear Member

LIke I said in my previous post, is there a way to do it without the torque wrench? ... since i don't have any access to one. I just didn't know if you could say tighten finger tight, then a certain amount of turns is spec ... somethin' like that...?
Old 05-19-2006, 07:26 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GodAmGT00

If you're turning right, and the sound goes away, that means that it's your right wheel bearing. You're taking pressure off of that wheel, eliminating the slop in the bearing unit..

The torque specs for the bearing is 253ft/lbs... That's a TON!!! In fact, the best way to do it is to use a torque wrench... Another good tip is to get it on tight, back it off a few turns, and then re-torque.. It's going to take serious effort, even w/ a long handled-wrench.. Don't forget to inspect the spindle, and lightly re-grease it.

JT
*********WRONG******** IF YOU TURN RIGHT AND THE SOUND GOES AWAY....IT'S YOUR DRIVER SIDE BEARING.
WHICH EVER SIDE GETS THE LOAD PRESSURE IS THE SIDE THATS BAD.
AND YES YOU DEFINATELY WANT TO USE A TORQUE WRENCH. OVERTIGHTENING WILL CAUSE THE BEARING TO GO BAD...TOO LOOSED YOUR WHEEL CAN FALL OFF.....THE SPECS CALL FOR 212-253.....TORQUE THE BEARINGS TO 225FT.LBS. THAT'S WHAT I DID WITH MINE.
AS FOR THE TORQUE WRENCH, BUY ONE.....USE IT AND THEN RETURN IT. SAY YOU BOUGHT IT AS A GIFT FOR FATHERS DAY, AND CHANGED YOUR MIND.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:09 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

If you turn right, your driver's side wheel gains the pressure load and suspension compression, thus alleviating pressure on the bad bearing, essentially making it float in the housing, instead of rubbing against the raceways...

Bearing noise is usually caused by a lack of lubrication or an increased clearance between bearing races, thus changing thrust angle....

JT
Old 05-21-2006, 07:36 PM
yuengling910
1st Gear Member

shake the wheel up and down, (grab behind top and bottom of tire) if bearing is blown, you should feel it. it will almost feel like a slight popping in the up and down motion.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:34 AM
Wes8398
1st Gear Member

yuengling910 > I'll see if I can feel any difference between the 2 once I get 'er jacked up. If not:

lol Oh boy .. here we go. One person says it's one thing, another says it's the opposite. hahaha Logical thinking tells me that you might be wrong 97Targa ... when turning right, the pressure comes off of the right wheel and causes the sound to stop because of the lack of pressure on that joint .... that's what makes sence to me. Any others want to give their opinions?