4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I'ma bout ready to shoot my stang...'nother random noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 11:36 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default I'ma bout ready to shoot my stang...'nother random noise

Hey all~
I'm about to put a stick of dynamite in my gas tank because of this ODDDD noise yet again. It used to only be when it was very hot and completely warmed up, but now it rears it's ugly head whenever it fu**ing pleases. I found that increasing the load on the engine makes it more obvious..... I took my buddy, his g/f and my g/f for a ride and the noise was louddd.

Primarily in 2nd gear, but can also come up in 1st or 3rd is this odd vibrational squeaking noise coming from under the car. it usually happens loudest at around 1400 rpm and gets louder until about 2800 rpm where it 'goes away' or the exhaust is just too loud to hear the noise.
Now between me and my buddy we heard a handful of places it could have been coming from. Sometimes it sounded like directly under us, in front of us, behind us... not quite sure. It is not an internal transmission noise, and I don't think it's the throwout bearing. I have had a look at the TOB and it is still clean and solid w/o any problems.

I have several suspecsts, the first is possibly the rear end, and maybe the bearings in my diff. are starting to go out, or in the LSD? It seemed to get especially loud when I would launch hard on it (did a few 1st-2nd-3rd roars with it). We also think maybe an exhaust part is scraping underneath somewhere, but we shake the exhaust and get no noise, and I put the stock pipes back in exactly as they are supposed to be.

Anyone have ANY input or any ideas as to what this could be(maybe you had a similar noise) or if you have ways i could test various components. Also, I tried putting mild pressure on the clutch pedal while driving to see if pressure on the TOB made it change, and it DID NOT

The thing is, if I could not hear anything (if I was deaf) the car would feel perfectly smooth and solid.

George
Old 05-22-2006, 12:30 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default RE: I'ma bout ready to shoot my stang...'nother random noise

*bump* i'm gonna take it on the road later tonight again and I hope nothing takes a dump. I'm thinkin it might be a pulley or the tensioner or something or something with the exhaust. i could car less so long as the car doesn't die. I'm SERIOUSLY considering trading it in at the dealer i work at and financing something not gay
Old 05-22-2006, 12:45 AM
domesticfan
3rd Gear Member

do u have a big subwoofer or stero system? it could be your alternator. they can get very loud and annoying and low rpms.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:59 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

nope. stock stereo with fugged up speakers.

as a matter of fact, tonight took the bit** out to take my girl home. I know notice when it is making the squeak sound I get a vibration, and it sounds like the sound is coming from a bit behind/under the shifter (right near the front of the drive shaft)

Could it be that I have a bad U joint?? I am gonna jack up this fix or repair daily tomorrow and have a look see underneath and shake it all down and posibly pull the drive shaft and see the condition of the U joints. Now I am scared to drive because if I blow a front U joint, driveshaft= falls and probably rips rear axle off and theregoes my mustang plans
Old 05-22-2006, 02:03 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

okay this is making me worried, I think I need new U joints and bad

http://www.samscars.com/mage10.html

A severely damaged U-joint can make a repeated 'chirping' or squeak at very low speeds.

that's exactly the noise I get primarily when I hit the gas. UGH I'm gonna pull the drive shaft fo shizzle tomorrow and see what's up. If they are bad I gotta land lock the beast temporarily and see about getting them replaced... S.O.B.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:08 AM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

only noises ive had were tob, cats rattling at heatshield or rubbing agaist the frame (despite asbout a quarter inch clearance, and loose rear o2 sensors. yeah the 02 sensors made me laugh my *** off, they were rattling around and it sounded so friggin weird, took me a day or so to figure out it was them. other than that i hope it aint your u join or anything, if its your diff then get some gears for that son bitch.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:11 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

okay i've been doing some googling and it describes the exact symptoms I have with regards to U joints being bad.

It describes it as a squeaking under acceleration (tada!) and a clicking sound under decel when in gear... (tada!)

sooo... I think tomorrow I am gonna let big bubba out of his nest and drive him around while I get the U joints replaced. Maybe if I throw the drive shaft in my trunk I can take it to work and a dealer tech can help me out? we'll see but at any rate tomorrow I'm inspecting the car and NOT driving it.

(i too thought if I have to go into the diff I'm gettin gears) i'm really thinking it's the U joints now in which case if they go i'm Fukked because if the front one goes so does half the suspension
Old 05-22-2006, 02:20 AM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

i think im in the same boat actually, i get this squeaking on occasion from under my car. usually when its wet out, but it happens when im letting off the clutch. it sounds like its towards the center . no clicking noise though. if that **** goes bad i seriously am selling my stang. haha, seriously though im fed up with this disaster of a blower project.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:21 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

all right so a U joint is about $12 from autozone so I figure i may do both of them so that's like $24 plus tax so a bit under $30.

I guess I'm gonna have fun for a few days driving an 8mpg beast. Here I am ready to fix my oil burning problem and something else shats. stupid ford
Old 05-22-2006, 02:22 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

dude a U joint is cheap and relatively simple to replace. I sincerely hope when I pull off my driveshaft the u joints are total **** so I can know it's the problem

Quick Reply: I'ma bout ready to shoot my stang...'nother random noise