4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Looking at this car

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 01:52 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Looking at this car

Personally, I would never buy a built car. If it's built, then it's been abused, and you don't know to what extent. That's just my .02
Old 05-22-2006, 02:37 AM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xxkazp3rxx

Personally, I would never buy a built car. If it's built, then it's been abused, and you don't know to what extent. That's just my .02
+1
Old 05-22-2006, 04:02 AM
so1o2k3
4th Gear Member

him driving through water is probably complete BS. Don't buy it, water damage + a salvage title is bad news.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:27 AM
hdawg06
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

Unless you are willing to problem solve and possibly spend some money for a couple months or even longer to get the car running properly, I say no.

Body kits are a tell all sign of a car that's had body damage. Every friend with a body kit on his/her car and every body kitted car I've had a chance to look at (a lot actually), I've found repair work on every single one. While it's pretty common for a car to need some touch up paint or simply got backed into....better to be safe than sorry.

While it's probably a fun car and appealing to the eye, be smart and let someone else buy the car.

The fact that it has a 'restored' title, which is also called a SALVAGE title in other states, along with him saying the motor was replaced because he drove through some water...sounds like he ain't the brightest guy.
This cracks me up. "Body kits are a tell all sign of a car that's had body damage." LOL. Obviously you haven't left your safehouse in a while. I'm sorry to say, most Imports look better with body kits. Yes, some are just nasty, but most kits for supras/rx7/300zxs/evo are better looking that the stock kits. It is all about taste. Some people go for the cheap stuff, while others dish out $3000 for a wide body kit.

The mustang body kits are pretty bad, except for a few. The saleen/cobra kits look good, but some others are iffy at best. Don't base getting a car on it having a body kit, people that say that it has damage are full of ****.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:55 AM
tripsevn7
Moderating with Angels

where does the guy say the car is from? the front end would have to go under water to get enough water to blow it . if he has receipt on the engine and documentation of the work done, might be a great deal. check under the dash for rust, look for blend lines and overspray which are the easiest ways to i.d body work done. if its never been wrecked, and has a new engine and everything checks out buy it. if you find out its been in la or ms areound the end of august, run away from it
Old 05-22-2006, 05:41 AM
miglet
2nd Gear Member

ive gone through a big *** puddle by accident before.. i was driving down the road while it was raining, and i didnt know this road dipped so much, there was people all around so i had to go through this puddle.. only thinking it was just a surface puddle i didnt slow down.. wow big mistake lol ... had a good 50 foot wave luckily it didnt move me aroudn too much, otherwise i woulda been in an accident.. but it did waste my air filter... stalled my car and was smoking like mad (got on the engine and the exhaust).. didnt really do anything.. its been a month now.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:02 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

mig - consider yourself lucky... I had a friends with a 2001 Mustang and we hit a puddle like that... water got into his fenderwall intake, and flooded his engine. I mean, he ended up needing a whole new engine.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:03 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

oh and I forgot to add.. make sure his water damage wasn't caused by Hurricane Rita, or Katrina...
Old 05-22-2006, 12:12 PM
djb1187
5th Gear Member

what i am looking at is that he ran 11 psi. 11 psi on a stock bottom end is not good, that engine might burn pretty soon...
Old 05-22-2006, 12:20 PM
bull2368`

dude run a carfax, its cheap insurance. if you have anydoublt what soever in your mind, then dont do it. but to be safe carfax it, they offer a buyback gurantee and it only 25 bucks, i mean your getting ready to shell out 11000 after taxes and such so 25 bucks is nothing.

Quick Reply: Looking at this car