4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Lifting car ?s

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 10:51 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Lifting car ?s

I got a great basic 3 ton jack from sears for $100. well my mom treated me to it. it works great, and I have 2 delco stands and 2 random stands from my buddy's house ( he has 2 of my others)

sometimes you will need to do unique things to get it up. When I have had my car in a shop I worked at and at school, some full line shop lifts can't even go low enough to get under my car! lowered 2" as well

But yeah, if you do get it to jack up, DO NOT work under the car with just the jack there. Have at least a stand under the corner you're working on if not two for the front/rear. What you can do, is with the stands in place have the jack there for extra support.

sometimes jacks can slowly leak and thus slowly let the car down
Old 05-22-2006, 11:02 AM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

I went to sears and got a craftsman 3 ton jack for 80 bucks. Nothing crazy, but its quality and it works. Id recommend getting one with a larger contact piece. By contact piece I mean the part of the jack that actually contacts the car. I dont know what that part is technically called but all you have to do is look at the jacks. The one I got was about 5" in diameter. Some of the cheaper ones were like 2 or 3 inches.

Your problem will be the 2" drop. I have a saleen kit w/standard ride height and I have trouble getting the jack under the car. I dont really have any advice to give you on that. But if you want a decent jack you can go to sears and get one. Actually you can get a 3 ton jack, 2 jack stands and a creeper in a package deal for $130 there. They also have jack stands separately. I wouldn't skimp on anything like this because your safety is at stake. Even when you jack up the car you still have to get partially under it to set up the stands. Always spend the extra time to put stands under it.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:06 PM
bluepony4.6
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mark99GT

I went to sears and got a craftsman 3 ton jack for 80 bucks. Nothing crazy, but its quality and it works. Id recommend getting one with a larger contact piece. By contact piece I mean the part of the jack that actually contacts the car. I dont know what that part is technically called but all you have to do is look at the jacks. The one I got was about 5" in diameter. Some of the cheaper ones were like 2 or 3 inches.

Your problem will be the 2" drop. I have a saleen kit w/standard ride height and I have trouble getting the jack under the car. I dont really have any advice to give you on that. But if you want a decent jack you can go to sears and get one. Actually you can get a 3 ton jack, 2 jack stands and a creeper in a package deal for $130 there. They also have jack stands separately. I wouldn't skimp on anything like this because your safety is at stake. Even when you jack up the car you still have to get partially under it to set up the stands. Always spend the extra time to put stands under it.
Think of it this way. When you crawl under your car, your life depends on the quality of equipment you use to get it in the air. If you value your life, spend the big bucks. If you don't care, buy the cheap stuff. I bought the cheap hydraulic jack twice and both of them broke on me. I now use my friend's craftsman jacks and stands. He told me that one time a jack failed on him while under the car and if he wife wasn't there to jack it back up, he'd be dead. That stuck with me.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:58 PM
Mark11
2nd Gear Member

alright you guys are making me nervous, I recently bought a package from discount auto for like 30 bucks with a 2 ton hydro jack and two 2 ton jack stands I was just gonna get some ramps in addition... do you think I should return them and get someting more expensive????? Dont they all have to pass safety inspections or is it not that extensive????
Old 05-22-2006, 01:25 PM
shadowfoxx
3rd Gear Member

alright you guys are making me nervous, I recently bought a package from discount auto for like 30 bucks with a 2 ton hydro jack and two 2 ton jack stands I was just gonna get some ramps in addition... do you think I should return them and get someting more expensive????? Dont they all have to pass safety inspections or is it not that extensive????
2000lbs = 1ton

stock mustang weight - 3450 lbs give or take a couple hundred lbs. you also have to remember that neither one jack nor one jack stand is holding the entire car up.. only about half of the cars weight is being held by the jack or stands... 2ton should be fine.. everyone is just concerned over the "its better to over estimate then under estimate" rule..

you should be fine... just do like these guys said and always prop the car up using the stands and never depend of the jack alone to keep the car up.

I myself have craftsman 2 ¼ ton jack and stands from sears.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:33 PM
macdaddyslomo
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: monkeydude3

sometimes you will need to do unique things to get it up.

No one else found this hilarious ???
Old 05-22-2006, 01:38 PM
Mark11
2nd Gear Member

I didnt read that but that is pretty funny I just laughed out loud in a library and everyone gave me a dirty look
Old 05-22-2006, 01:50 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

where do you jack it up from? a arm? k member? my car isnt lowered but the chin spoiler hanges pretty low and the jack wont start jacking.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:24 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

I jack in on the k-member. lol. anyways, yeah thats where i do it with the lever between the bumper and tire. Theres enough room there, just be careful not to scrape the pait on the bumper.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:28 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

ORIGINAL: wwmost

where do you jack it up from? a arm? k member? my car isnt lowered but the chin spoiler hanges pretty low and the jack wont start jacking.
my guess is that you need to tighten the check valve on the jack.

jacking jokes withheld because this is a family site. [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Quick Reply: Lifting car ?s