4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

mods=no increase in mpg

Old 05-30-2006, 11:38 PM
timi
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: mods=no increase in mpg

thanks for the tips guys. 96cobra10101, it was just a mere concern that's all. i am happy with the increase in power from the mods so far. no need to be a smart *** about it.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:42 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

This is another one of those myths that I have no idea how it got started.

It doesn't take your computer any time to "learn" anything. There isn't anything for the computer to learn anyway.

You can take a car, install a blower (or any mod), download the tune, and mash it to the floor on the very first start (after the mod) and so long as the tune is dead on it will not get any better with time.

With just basic intake/exhaust mods, IF the tune is still dead on, and IF you can keep your foot out of it you should pick up a small amount of MPG, simply because the car is making more power and doesn't have to work as hard.

With your diablo tuner though I would not expect gains. My mail order tune from diablo was making the car to rich, so I acutally lost MPG and power.
Glad you tackled this one. I've tried explaining this and was told I was crazy.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:46 PM
BBond007
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BBond007

keep in mind that after you re-program or reset the computer it takes several tanks of gas before the computer rebuilds its strategy...

The exhaust mods will help you... at least they helped me...

It doesn't take your computer any time to "learn" anything. There isn't anything for the computer to learn anyway.

You can take a car, install a blower (or any mod), download the tune, and mash it to the floor on the very first start (after the mod) and so long as the tune is dead on it will not get any better with time.

With just basic intake/exhaust mods, IF the tune is still dead on, and IF you can keep your foot out of it you should pick up a small amount of MPG, simply because the car is making more power and doesn't have to work as hard.

With your diablo tuner though I would not expect gains. My mail order tune from diablo was making the car to rich, so I acutally lost MPG and power.

Perhaps you are correct, but my car always runs rich (and the idle is inconsistent) the first 100 miles or so after I unplug the battery.

I don't like anything about the XTC tune I got from v8power except the ability to set the temp the fan kicks into low or high speed.

Their tune leans out my car and causes pinging. I totally loose low-end grunt and rpms hang like forever, so I don't run it.

I would sell the device but I fugure I'll wait until I get more mods and a dyno-tune.

I think its a good device and may serve some purpose in my future, but I am skeptical about "mail-order" tunes.

Old 05-30-2006, 11:53 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Their tune leans out my car and causes pinging. I totally loose low-end grunt and rpms hang like forever, so I don't run it.

I would sell the device but I fugure I'll wait until I get more mods and a dyno-tune.

I think its a good device and may serve some purpose in my future, but I am skeptical about "mail-order" tunes.

Are you sure it's not a Timing advance that's caused a lot of Pinging?? I've seen a lot of tuning done, and many of the "pre-set" tunes that are either loaded on a Hand-held, or are flashed onto EPROMs run rich to prevent destruction to your engine...

As you mentioned though, a dyno-tune is probably the best way to get your fuel/timing curve close to 100%...

JT
Old 05-31-2006, 12:03 AM
06mustang88
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 96cobra10101

um, okay. If you want gas mileage go get toyota. I am lucky if I get 200 miles to a tank and I can only use 93 or better. Oh, and I am happy with it. What next, save the whales and trees?

i'm lucky to get 200 to a tank and i'm not blown and stay off it for the most part [&:]
Old 05-31-2006, 12:08 AM
dan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustang_montana

im not quite sure i follow. so youre dissapointed your mpg hasnt increased? 93 octane wont make a huge difference except about 30 extra cents pergallo. as for increasing you gas mileage, most of your mods are intake related so figure that the more air you add the more gas will be added to compensate.
wait, so if you clog up your air filter by rubbing dirt all over it, you will get better gas mileage because it will use less gas?
Old 05-31-2006, 12:28 AM
BBond007
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GodAmGT00

Are you sure it's not a Timing advance that's caused a lot of Pinging?? I've seen a lot of tuning done, and many of the "pre-set" tunes that are either loaded on a Hand-held, or are flashed onto EPROMs run rich to prevent destruction to your engine...

As you mentioned though, a dyno-tune is probably the best way to get your fuel/timing curve close to 100%...

JT
The tuner allows me to back off on the timing or advance it in 3 RPM ranges .

It takes increments of 2 below 2000 rpm, then increments of 1 for 2000-4000 and 4000+.

It does not allow me to set the fuel ratio for anything other than wide open throttle. And even that’s another +/- situation, +/- from what baseline?

Anyway, if the thing came with my STOCK tune from Ford, and allowed me to tweak it from there I’d be much happier.

I thought it was timing too, so I used a timing light and tried to tweak the tune so it was the same timing as the stock tune through the various rpm ranges.

No good…. The thing is worthless until you get a real tune anyway…

Old 05-31-2006, 12:53 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

keep in mind that after you re-program or reset the computer it takes several tanks of gas before the computer rebuilds its strategy...

The exhaust mods will help you... at least they helped me...

Perhaps you are correct, but my car always runs rich (and the idle is inconsistent) the first 100 miles or so after I unplug the battery.

I don't like anything about the XTC tune I got from v8power except the ability to set the temp the fan kicks into low or high speed.

I think it is all in your head (the 100 miles thing).

Once the computer is set, it's set. There is nothing to "learn". This is along the same lines as people recommending you pull the battery cable for 10 min and then plug it back in to fix a problem. It might make the check engine light go out and kick the car out of limp mode, but only if the problem itself has gone away (whatever made the CE light come on)

Your computer tune tells the computer how much timing to use at what RPM and throttle condition, and how much fuel to add for each part of incoming air. There is more to it (IAT etc) but basically thats it.

Old 05-31-2006, 10:01 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Back to the original post...

ORIGINAL: timi

with all my mods my mpg hasn't increased 1 single frickn gallon. and i'm asking myself why i'm waisting my money on 93 octane. i'm on my 3rd tank of gas now. the first tank 93 no change so i went down to mid grade, no change, no pinging, now back to 93.

wondering if i'm rich or lean, would that make a difference. i'm not really driving any harder now then before the mods.

what gives?
timi, I think pulleys may help the issue somewhat. And I agree with SXGT that shifting at 2000 rpm saves fuel and it doesn't lug my engine down at all. With my mods and this driving strategy, I went from 17.5 mpg to 21 mpg city. To get 21, I have to drive like granny, but the traffic here sucks so I can't go really fast anyway. With the timing advanced, I upgraded to 89 octane, not 93. No knock or ping thus far, but I keep an eye on it.

BTW, if I hammer the throttle, I still get 19 mpg city.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:25 AM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

Glad you tackled this one. I've tried explaining this and was told I was crazy.
Thank you, I'm gettinga S/C installed and having my car dyno tuned, someone told me I will need to take it easy for a few days so my car can learn it's new tune. They are chips, they cannot learn!
As far as not improving your gas mileage, I hate to be the one to say it but I spent alot of money on bolt-ons and I got minimal gains, and no real improvement in gas mileage.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: mods=no increase in mpg