4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 06:39 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Default burning oil

I just installed mac l/t headers, o/r prochamber, cat back and now i am burining oil and have lots of smoke from the exhaust. I have read on other forums that these headers cause oil seep through the valve seals due to lack of back pressure. I welded a set of cats on trying to put a little restriction in the system. I dont think it worked. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you fix it. Thanks in advanced.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:16 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default RE: burning oil

what kinda car and how many miles on it? my 97 GT has 112k and my valve seals are shot as hell... no headers tho.. I will be making a writeup on how to replace the seals in about a week and a half.

I don't know how lack of backpressure could effect the valve seals tho... usually those either leak or they don't, and when they do you use a lot of oil and get startup smoke
Old 06-02-2006, 09:32 PM
BatMobile00
2nd Gear Member

Oil burning is a problem with my 2000 Gt too. And i spun a rod bearing cuz i didnt notice. Tought me a lesson the hard way it did. DONT TRUST THE OIL PRESSURE GUAGE!
Old 06-02-2006, 09:40 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

i got an aftermarket oil pressure gauge that is excellent because it is more than a yes/no gauge, it tells u what you have

i betchu the valve seals ar ethe most common leak point on this engine... look for my writeup in a few weeks!
Old 06-02-2006, 10:10 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

its an 04 gt with only 22k miles on it. it has been sitting for the past 8 months cause i have been in iraq. It didnt smoke at all before we installed the headers. we did delete the EGR only because my friend bent it while unbolting it. I put an oil seperator inline on the pvc hose. I dont know what is causing this smoke when i get on it and it burned almost 4 qts of oil in 4 days.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:28 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

try running some high milage oil as they have some additives that make the seals swell... it just sounds like the car didn't like sitting that long.... did anyone run it periodically while it was sitting?

in theory though that should not hurt it.... that's weird, and it's an 04 with 22k, that should be covered under warranty BUTTTT u got headers on it... dang
Old 06-05-2006, 06:34 AM
FDNYBullitt
2nd Gear Member

Installing headers won't cause this problem. It could be that the rings are stuck from sitting, they are a low pressure ring, meaning that they don't push out against the walls very hard. Try a compression test and if it shows bad then thats probably it. You can try running a 1/2 quart of Marvel Mystery oil in it for about an hour, it may losen them up. IF all else fails, I would replace the O/R pipe and fix the EGR, then bring it back to Ford. The headers won't void your warranty as long as they have the 02 sensors in them. The Moss/Magneson act forces the dealer to Prove that the headers caused this problem, good luck.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:27 AM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BatMobile00

Oil burning is a problem with my 2000 Gt too. And i spun a rod bearing cuz i didnt notice. Tought me a lesson the hard way it did. DONT TRUST THE OIL PRESSURE GUAGE!
F'IN A RIGHT!!!! Cost me too...
Old 06-05-2006, 10:35 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

A lot of people fail to realize, that new exhausts have a coating on the inside that needs to burn off. Usually it smells sort of funny, and takes a week or 2 of driving to get rid of it...

If this is still not that case, then it's not because you put on the exhaust that it does this. However, if you do have a drastic oil leak, it's not coated your brand new exhaust w/ oil.

JT
Old 06-05-2006, 12:09 PM
jfor441
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GodAmGT00

A lot of people fail to realize, that new exhausts have a coating on the inside that needs to burn off. Usually it smells sort of funny, and takes a week or 2 of driving to get rid of it...

If this is still not that case, then it's not because you put on the exhaust that it does this. However, if you do have a drastic oil leak, it's not coated your brand new exhaust w/ oil.

JT
Well..... He did mention he has burned 4 qts in 4 days.

Quick Reply: burning oil