4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Removing my stock Midpipe help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 04:59 PM
mustangGTdude1031
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Removing my stock Midpipe help!

ORIGINAL: Sebski

How much would it be for a muffler shop to do a mid pipe install... guestimating?
Its not just having them install it. They would have to try and cut that bolt off some how. And that is where it might get pricey. I was thinking of getting a torch and rethreader. Would that just be a waist of money?
Old 06-04-2006, 05:02 PM
Sebski
2nd Gear Member

well in general how much would a shop usually charge... i was planning on doin my H pipe install but ive usted one to many knuckles in the past and recently developed a severe case of roid rage every now and then... jkz but does anyone know?
Old 06-04-2006, 05:10 PM
mustangGTdude1031
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sebski

well in general how much would a shop usually charge... i was planning on doin my H pipe install but ive usted one to many knuckles in the past and recently developed a severe case of roid rage every now and then... jkz but does anyone know?
use a phone and call a muffler shop?
Old 06-04-2006, 07:57 PM
mustangGTdude1031
4th Gear Member

Do you guys know if the stud that connects the bolt can be replaced? I was wondering if I could just remove the whole stud, and then buy another stud and put it back in. I didnt know if the studs were hammered inor what. Or if they are a dealership only part.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:06 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

Remove the K-member; you can get access to that bolt real easy doing it that way.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:34 PM
mustangGTdude1031
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: czwalga00gt

Remove the K-member; you can get access to that bolt real easy doing it that way.
Ya, we might try that. I just dont see how this one freakin bolt can stay on there. We have been workin at it for 2 whole days now. Dang!
Old 06-04-2006, 08:34 PM
Yellow GT

If you go to Autozone ask for a stud remover,they have them in the loan a tool program.pay a deposit and get your money back when you take it back.You can use the stud remover if you get the nut off.It's like a socket that fit's over the stud and will remove it.Best thing to do is heat the nut drive a socket on then remove.PB Blaster is the best stuff on earth to get rusty bolts and nuts off!!!!!
Old 06-04-2006, 08:37 PM
mustangGTdude1031
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Yellow GT

If you go to Autozone ask for a stud remover,they have them in the loan a tool program.pay a deposit and get your money back when you take it back.You can use the stud remover if you get the nut off.It's like a socket that fit's over the stud and will remove it.Best thing to do is heat the nut drive a socket on then remove.PB Blaster is the best stuff on earth to get rusty bolts and nuts off!!!!!
thats the thing. I dont think the bolt is rust on there. We have just been going at it at an angle too much and it has completely stripped out. I dont even see how to get on the bolt straight.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:51 PM
Yellow GT

When I did mine I know the socket with the joint was on a angle.Could not budge with the 3/8 rachet had to break out the big gun to remove the nut.Autozone also has nutremovers made by Irwin but I think you might have tried them,kind of a backwards twisted socket that drives on to the nut.Other that cutting off the stud drilling it out witch would be a mother ****** I dont know?
Old 06-05-2006, 12:18 AM
mustangGTdude1031
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Yellow GT

When I did mine I know the socket with the joint was on a angle.Could not budge with the 3/8 rachet had to break out the big gun to remove the nut.Autozone also has nutremovers made by Irwin but I think you might have tried them,kind of a backwards twisted socket that drives on to the nut.Other that cutting off the stud drilling it out witch would be a mother ****** I dont know?
Ya, we've tried just about everything. I think we are gonna have to take it to a shop now. The nut and stud are just completely destroyed pretty much. I will try and see how much it will cost for them to just get that bolt off and get a new one on. Then I will put the H pipe on myself back at the house. I just hope they wont charge out the ****. If they have to put a new stud in, then who knows how expensive that will be.

Quick Reply: Removing my stock Midpipe help!