4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Should I go to Walmart???

Old 06-11-2006, 05:16 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Should I go to Walmart???

If you want to buy a fishing pole but don't want to pay to much, go to Walmart. If you want to have your car serviced as inexpensively as a huge corporation can do it, go to Walmart. Yes they use the cheapest oil filters they can buy in bulk and yes they use the cheapest oil they can buy in bulk. No their "mechanics" are not certified and no they do not have experienced personnel to do the work you need done. Kragen, Pep Boys, Auto Zone, they all suck too. 80% of the independent shops in your neighborhood suck as well. Do it yourself. That way if anything goes wrong, you have no one else to blame but you.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:32 AM
STANGLVR
1st Gear Member

Boycott WalMart! I went there once with my Bronco, back when I still lived in Montana, and they didn't put the oil cap back on, while I was driving home I could smell burning oil but I thought maybe they just spilled a little or somethin and I only lived a couple miles from there so when I got home I popped the hood and oil was everywhere under my hood and my oil cap was just lying there ( they are soo lucky it didn't get lost!). They had also pulled out the plug to my core heater, for God knows what reason, from where I had zip tied it to the grill and I ended up dragging the mother fu**er all the home, ruined it. I called to complain and there response was "wazn't us". I haven't stepped foot inside of WalMart in 3 years.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:33 AM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

WALMART DIDNT PUT MY 710 CAP BACK ON AND IT GOT CAUGHT IN THE BELTS AND KNOCKED THEM OFF AND I LOST WATER PUMP , POWER STEERING AND BRAKES AND ALMOSTED DIED [sm=badbadbad.gif] i charged then $500 in repairs to fix it.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:34 AM
STANGLVR
1st Gear Member

And if you want to buy household items cheap shop at K-mart, same low prices without the huge crowds of idiots stopping in the middle of the busiest isles to chat with one another

BTW my Ford dealer does oil changes for $35. That's not a bad price and its work you can trust
Old 06-11-2006, 08:37 AM
70 MACH I
3rd Gear Member

Anyone with minimal skill can change the oil on a GT Mustang. Time to get to know your car, buy a drain pail, simple socket set, and filter wrench. Change it yourself, know it is done right. The only mistake you can make is leaving the old gasket on the engine from the oil filter, make sure that is off and tossed, and you are good to go. No one is going to take the care you will, with your own car. There are only a handful of times ANYTHING was done on my cars by anyone else. Mostly, AC evacuation/recharge and alignments. Ask my wife, in 30 years we haven't had to walk yet. (owning only Fords helps too)

John
Old 06-11-2006, 09:32 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

Wow, all of you guys are Walmart haters, well I am too after working there for 3 years. But I have to admit, I have been getting my oil changed, tires rotated, and fuel injection cleaned by them for a few years and I've never had a problem and they're cheap. The use name brand oil filters just like autozone and other quick little shops. And they do take their oil off the shelf and they have good oil there, I use the cheap Motorcraft for my Stang and expensive Castrol Synthetic in my Celica. I know most of the people who work at Walmart since I used to work there, and about 90% of them are certified in what they do and about 75% of them have worked in shops most of their life, so I trust these guys. Theres like 4 other Walmarts within a 10 mile radius and this is the only one I go too.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:14 AM
stang2000
5th Gear Member

That's another thing I was going to say, why anyone would take their cars to get an oil change. It's not that difficult. Actually the word difficult isn't even in the sentence. lol. After you've driven the car, go home, jack it up, put the drain pan under to catch the oil, pull the plug, gonna be hot (but do it when it's hot), let it drain(lower the jack to get the best drain, raise it back up, pull the filter, put new one on, drop it down after tightening everything, put your 5 qts of oil in, start in and be done. Why oh Why pay to have it done. NO ONE touches my car unless I know them very very well. Anywho, by now you may have already gone and had the oil changed, lol.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:35 PM
Flyingmau5
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stang2000

That's another thing I was going to say, why anyone would take their cars to get an oil change. It's not that difficult. Actually the word difficult isn't even in the sentence. lol. After you've driven the car, go home, jack it up, put the drain pan under to catch the oil, pull the plug, gonna be hot (but do it when it's hot), let it drain(lower the jack to get the best drain, raise it back up, pull the filter, put new one on, drop it down after tightening everything, put your 5 qts of oil in, start in and be done. Why oh Why pay to have it done. NO ONE touches my car unless I know them very very well. Anywho, by now you may have already gone and had the oil changed, lol.
it would be kinda difficult if u dont have the right tools u t00l :P and it would not be applicable to us who live in complexes :P it is just a few bucks :P why get all the oil on yourself? :P
Old 06-11-2006, 04:39 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

the dealer I work at charges around $35 as well. It's only a few dollars more... i mean for a few bucks more you have a dealer certified tech do it, and they actually give a damn about your car too
Old 06-11-2006, 04:44 PM
Flyingmau5
5th Gear Member

i just think stang2000 is trying to save every penny after his mods [:-]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I go to Walmart???