4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

EIBACH SPRING INSTALL - HOW TO

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 05:15 PM
mightyb28
2nd Gear Member

Default EIBACH SPRING INSTALL - HOW TO

So i wanted to share this with you all as I just did the install this weekend myself. Took a crap load of time after i figured it out, but I re adjusted the springs on Sunday, all four wheels, and took me 1.5 hours total.

THIS IS FOR A 99-05 MUSTANG

TOOLS:
Crescent wrench
Pliers
4 lb sledge with a short handle
Rubber Mallet

INSTALL STEPS: (NO PICS)
Install Time: (4 springs 1.5 hours)

INSTALL
1. Loosen all lug nuts on the front two wheels,
2. Jack up car and place on jack stands
3. Remove wheels
4. Put jack under control arm and crank till spring is loaded and pressure is off the control arm.
5. Take nut off the Turn Steer Arm (it has a pin through it that is bent at the ends). Remove pin and remove bolt.
6. Unbolt sway bar (you do not have to remove the sway bar from the car, but it needs to be lifted off the bolt/mount.
7. The caliper will now be able to rotate on the knuckle so rotate it so you can access the 1" nut below the shock/strut.
8. Remove the 1" nut with the crescent wrench. You might have to hit the wrench with the sledge to crack the seal.
9. Loosen the break line attached to the fender.
10. after all bolts are removed lower the jack slowly so the spring is unloaded and fully extended.
11. With the sledge or Rubber Mallet hit the knuckle for the steering arm till it drops out.
12. This is the part that took a good explanation of my mechanic friend to understand and why i say YOU HAVE TO HAVE a 4lb sledge hammer. Hit the knuckle where the 1" bolt was once or twice with the sledge.
13. With the sledge hit the Control arm once or twice and it will drop to the floor giving full access to the spring.
14. Use your foot to push down on the control arm so you can pull the spring out.

EASY AS PIE!

On the re-install make sure you use the jack, under the control arm, to load the spring and direct the Control Arm bolt back into the knuckle.

I think from there you will know how to crank everything else down.

MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THE BRAKE LINES ARE REATTACHED AND THERE IS NO LEAKING.

Hope this helps some of you out.

Just know the four pound sledge is key to break that fitment at the control arm knuckle.

Make not of how the pigtails of the spring are sitting as you want to install your new springs in the same manner.
MAKE SURE YOU USE THE RUBBER SPRING CUSIONS AND INSTALL ON NEW SPRINGS SAME AS THEY ARE ON THE ONES YOU JUST REMOVED.

What I also found was if the upper pigtail is pointing towards the back of the car you will get another 1/4 inch drop.

Now after this is done and you want to make sure those springs settle in nicely I found a road that i know that has little bumps over it and i drove it about five times till the springs seemed like that had a good settle. I hate waiting 1000 miles for this to happen otherwise, so that is why i went this route.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:18 PM
mightyb28
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: EIBACH SPRING INSTALL - HOW TO

[quote]ORIGINAL: mightyb28

THIS IS FOR A 99-05 MUSTANG

My fat fingers, 99-04 Mustangs
Old 06-12-2006, 05:54 PM
jmmorgan82
3rd Gear Member

Great write-up! Do you have any before and after pics?
Old 06-12-2006, 07:33 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

send it to mitch (code3gt) or sam (acer) and you might get a contributor tag even though we already have a basic suspension how to...
Old 06-12-2006, 07:48 PM
mightyb28
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rbstang

send it to mitch (code3gt) or sam (acer) and you might get a contributor tag even though we already have a basic suspension how to...
That suspension how to fits the pre 99's not the 99-04. Different control arm setup.

I am going to try some spring mods this saturday (if i told you I would get **** on the forum), so i will take pics this time for you.

Old 06-12-2006, 07:48 PM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jmmorgan82

Great write-up! Do you have any before and after pics?
+1
Old 06-12-2006, 07:51 PM
djdalfaro
2nd Gear Member

Thank you for the how to, I have my springs, and I'm waiting on my isolators, but I am stupid and still confused... so I don't need compressors?
Old 06-12-2006, 08:43 PM
mightyb28
2nd Gear Member

Hell no. Waste of $$ and they will not fit through the drain hole or the outside of the spring as there isn't enought space.

After you use the sledge (4lb no less) and bang the control arm down you will only need to push the control arm down with your foot or hand and pull the spring out.

The Hanes manual is for the 98 and later model years.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:43 PM
jpmustanggt
5th Gear Member

I used compressors on my back two springs but not on my front.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:49 PM
mightyb28
2nd Gear Member

Just can't see the waste of time or hassle of getting them on.

Trust me, after you do this install once you understand your whole suspension setup better. After i figured out the sledge issue (thx Russ) I think the whole neighborhood heard my screams of joy.

Now those control arms need an impact wrench. I could probably do them with a breaker bar, but room is tight.

Quick Reply: EIBACH SPRING INSTALL - HOW TO