4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Vortech vs. Procharger

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 08:57 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Vortech vs. Procharger

ORIGINAL: stang2000

I have the Procharger P-1SC. I have a 2-core air-air intercooler. I recommend PC all the way. Unless you like it quieter and tapping into the oil pan. Vortech and PC were the last 2 I was debating on last year and went with PC. Their tech line was very open about what I didn't need for my specific setup. I got no infor from Vtech at all. It's like they didn't care.

You're money, do plenty of research. Me, I love just hooking it up and going without oil pan tapping and I love the whine.

Mine with 8psi, 2-core intercooler, MAF, Fuel Injectors and SCT Tuner and DynoTune came to $4767.99. I know the exact price, because I have all my receipts. I did the install myself. Took me about 6 hrs.
Tapping the oil pan is not even close to the worst/hardest part of a blower install. Honestly the acutal part about tapping the pan should not even be part of your decision. Everyone makes it out to be a huge deal but it was really quite easy and simple.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:57 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Yea your right well my DD is a lightning and I wouldnt waste that kinda cash on the stang but @ the end of june the KB will be on the truck and I'll post the #'s
Same difference. You are going to pay buttloads more cash for the same or lower level of performance with the twin screw.

The entire point is I was able to do all of these other mods while he is running around in a 360~ WHP blown mustang with a K&N filter, midpipe, and catback, while spending the same amount of money basically as I did.

The thing that always strikes me as so funny is that 99.99 percent of hte people that recommend KB don't have a KB
Old 06-12-2006, 09:04 PM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

i see people with intercooled prochargers making around 360 rwhp. wtf, thats it?
I want to get a procharger on 8 psi intercooled and make around 420 wrhp.

What kind of numbers should I expect to see with a procharger and full boltons?
Old 06-12-2006, 09:06 PM
Mt Twigbert
4th Gear Member

You guys are giving me SUPER feedback.. Spending $6,000 isn't coming easy for me..

I don't care if the unit is self contained or not.. The car is a 99 and has 10k miles.. I only drive it 1-2 times a week for short trips to the store on warm summer days.. I'm thinking the car will only see maybe 2k miles a year..

I was told by the Vortech installer that the V2 is rather quite.. With the hood down and standing next to the car I will only hear a slight wine.. However, the V1 is rather loud (maybe similar to the Procharger).. He said he could get me a V1 but he would have to order it, meaning not many people choose the model because of the noise..

Me personally, I know I have a 99 Cobra that IS NOT superchargered so I kinda wanna show off that I am speding the money.. I kinda want people to know I've invensted some ching into the motor and it will move..
Old 06-12-2006, 09:14 PM
stang2000
5th Gear Member

Yes I'm making 360 RWHP. I could be doing 400, but I intend on keeping the car for awhile and am thinking about the longevity of my engine. I could easily have had it tuned with all my bolt ons for 400 or more, but I choose to keep it safe, away from detonation and away from having to do internals. Believe me the guy doing my tune has been doing it for years and he's seen cars roll out of there after the customer wanted it maxed out, just to see the numbers on paper and blow the engine because it was overkill. Forget it. My 360 is fine, plus my car is bad *** like all of ours, but again I choose to remove some HP for my sake.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:18 PM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Im a big Procharger fan so my vote is Procharger with air to air intercooler.

Kennebell would be next choice.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:31 PM
stang2000
5th Gear Member

Also be cautious as to what Vortech says about their HP gains. Put it this way, they reduced the HP % gains. More info below.
[hr]
From Prochargers website.

http://www.procharger.com/competitor...hpdetail.shtml

[hr]

Just want to make suer you're getting what they're saying you're supposed to get if you go by their numbers.

Old 06-12-2006, 10:04 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Also be cautious as to what Vortech says about their HP gains. Put it this way, they reduced the HP % gains. More info below.
[hr]

[hr]

Just want to make suer you're getting what they're saying you're supposed to get if you go by their numbers.

I dunno about all of that, but I think I am making very good numbers for my setup.

You see 360~ WHP cars running around with 8 PSI because they do not have much done but the blower, or they are not running good tunes, or they are scared

420~ WHP on a good tune is dead safe. Its ALL in the tune.

BTW, I wouldn't put to much into prochargers website. Seriously, putting up **** like that about a competitor? And what about that huge article about the differen't efficentcys of centrifgual blowers? If you acutally read all 10 pages it ends up saying that the paxton/vortech designs are MORE efficent lol.

EDIT: If you really have to have that loud blower sound, just order a S instead of a SQ. The SQ is designed to be quiet. But don't think that with any centri blower you are gonna hear it like the eaton/KB models, it just doesn't work that way.

Also, I would not count out paxton. The Novi 2000 blowers really are insane. More than capable of running great on a 400~ WHP car, but capable of making 1000~ RWHP with the proper setup!
Old 06-12-2006, 10:22 PM
stang2000
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

[hr]

[hr]

I dunno about all of that, but I think I am making very good numbers for my setup.

You see 360~ WHP cars running around with 8 PSI because they do not have much done but the blower, or they are not running good tunes, or they are scared

BTW, I wouldn't put to much into prochargers website. Seriously, putting up **** like that about a competitor? And what about that huge article about the differen't efficentcys of centrifgual blowers? If you acutally read all 10 pages it ends up saying that the paxton/vortech designs are MORE efficent lol.

EDIT: If you really have to have that loud blower sound, just order a S instead of a SQ. The SQ is designed to be quiet. But don't think that with any centri blower you are gonna hear it like the eaton/KB models, it just doesn't work that way.

Well I have over $6600.00 done to the motor. And again I am running a good tune. And it's not ALL in the tune, but we all have different opinions, so it's not going to matter. Again I'll stick with my 360. When you 400+ guys blow something, maybe you'll understand. If you're lucky enough not to blow the engine or something, then that's great. But I don't feel like playing russian rouelette with my motor. If I have a forged SB and internals to back it up, then I'd punch the 400HP, but without strengthening the internals, 360 is safe for me. But this isn't about me or you, it's about PC VS VTECH for Mt Twigbert.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:34 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

[hr]

[hr]

Well I have over $6600.00 done to the motor. And again I am running a good tune. And it's not ALL in the tune, but we all have different opinions, so it's not going to matter. Again I'll stick with my 360. When you 400+ guys blow something, maybe you'll understand. If you're lucky enough not to blow the engine or something, then that's great. But I don't feel like playing russian rouelette with my motor. If I have a forged SB and internals to back it up, then I'd punch the 400HP, but without strengthening the internals, 360 is safe for me. But this isn't about me or you, it's about PC VS VTECH for Mt Twigbert.

it IS all in the tune. This is not a matter of opinion, its just fact. The two biggest things that kill supercharged engines are bad tunes, and too much RPM. Using common sense you will not destroy the engine just because of too much RWHP.

I have had my blower on for a few thousand miles now with no troubles. Nakani is making 400+ with his at 10 PSI for over a year (I think his is a DD). There are also several guys on www.stlmustangs.com (aka local to me)who are making 420+ on daily driven cars.

I have spent quite a bit of time on MPH's forums, and I have never seen a case where they lost a engine to too much RWHP. Hell, i have not ever heard of them loosing a motor period. They are routinely building cars with well over 400 WHP with no problems. Hell, they have one car in the 445~ WHP range with no intercooler!

Trust me, its ALL in the tune. I could have bought my supercharger kit from one of a hundred online websites, and probably saved some cash over MPH. I could have also gotten a local shop to sell me the stuff with no shipping costs. I went with the MPH kit simply because the tune rocks.

Quick Reply: Vortech vs. Procharger