4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

i finally got a boost reading

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 06:33 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: i finally got a boost reading

ORIGINAL: mustang_montana

the vacuum at idle is still really low, dont think i can fix that unless the dyno tune can compensate for the blower cams. for alls i know the vac pressure is normal though, otherwise id be having some serious issues.
You are INSANE for driving around flooring your car without the dyno tune in it. Honestly I dunno WTF you are thinking. Simply asking for a blown engine man.

I have seen this at least 3 times, people figured screw it what can go wrong, and then BOOM.

Stop risking it and go get a tune!
Old 06-14-2006, 02:38 AM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

the vacuum at idle is still really low, dont think i can fix that unless the dyno tune can compensate for the blower cams. for alls i know the vac pressure is normal though, otherwise id be having some serious issues.
You are INSANE for driving around flooring your car without the dyno tune in it. Honestly I dunno WTF you are thinking. Simply asking for a blown engine man.

I have seen this at least 3 times, people figured screw it what can go wrong, and then BOOM.

i figured someone would try calling me an idiot. first I AM getting a dyno tune, asap. second, this was a one time only test run to check everything out and it runs ****ing fantastic thank you. the tune is amazingly accurate and the motor never skipped a beat. third, i was under the impression it was the 3.60 pulley...my bad, i was expecting 6 psi not 10. i know im new to blowers, but calm down dude... going into boost 2 or 3 times didnt hurt anything in my forged motor, and i didnt hear one hint of pinging/detonation. props to the guys at md, the tune will definetly get me to the dyno.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:53 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

forged motor plus pretty close tune = good times

i'm sure you can probably pick up some horsepower with a dyno tune

so jealous of your car!
Old 06-14-2006, 04:18 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

i figured someone would try calling me an idiot. first I AM getting a dyno tune, asap. second, this was a one time only test run to check everything out and it runs ****ing fantastic thank you. the tune is amazingly accurate and the motor never skipped a beat. third, i was under the impression it was the 3.60 pulley...my bad, i was expecting 6 psi not 10. i know im new to blowers, but calm down dude... going into boost 2 or 3 times didnt hurt anything in my forged motor, and i didnt hear one hint of pinging/detonation. props to the guys at md, the tune will definetly get me to the dyno.
I'm not calling you a idiot dude, I'm trying to save ya from buying yet another shortblock.

My tune ended up being dead on right out of the box to. But my car NEVER saw above 3000 RPM before it was on the dyno. I drove 2 hours to the dyno shop, but thats what they are doing giving you the tune, GETTING you to the shop. Not getting you to the shop while you see how much boost your making.

The problem is, you could have a bad injector. You could have a bad fuel pump. Something could be wrong with the install. Something could be loose, you could be having a MAF problem. The MAF could be calibrated wrong..

Etc etc etc

It is just INSANE even trying it once. This is exactly what the guys I have heard of did and popped motors. A guy down at custom muffler has a 99 sitting without a engine in the bay because he did it "just once" to "try it out".

I know how tempting it is, trust me. Like I said, it was a 2 hour drive to get to the dyno shop. And 3/4 of the way there I had a C5 vette that wanted to play BAD. Resist the temptation man

EDIT: On a supercharged 4.6, "Close" isn't good enough, even with a forged assembly.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:44 AM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

i had no choice man, i cant put it on a dyno if its not working right. it was the only way to see if i had fixed the problem. i wasnt about to drop 300$ on a dyno tune for a car that wasnt making any boost. to me it was worth the risk, cause otherwise i would have put it on the dyno just for them to tell me something is wrong and its not getting boost. i just had to be 100% sure it was working 100% before i drove 1 and a half hours to a dyno, possibly missing some work. you're absoluetly right though, and im glad its a centrifugal and easy to keep out of boost.