4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

To buy 5.0 or 4.6?

Old 06-14-2006, 01:39 AM
jmat2407
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: To buy 5.0 or 4.6?

lol yea same here ( as well as picken on the occasional ricer that thinks he has a fast car) But all in all i gotta admit i LOVE driving my dads maro and handing it to c5 zo6's that roam around here in florida, havnt had a chance at a 06 zo6 yet but we'll see how that goes when the time comes
Old 06-14-2006, 01:42 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jmat2407

ORIGINAL: blueherd02gt

after not putting anything out for 4 or 5 years most of the camaro's I'm seeing nowadays look like dogs
friggen fiberglass looks like crap after too many close calls with curbs etc. + the fact that there arent any new ones to catch your eye
oh wait the gto's replaced the maro's
Um i love stang but DO NOT start hating on my beloved maro's. From what i recal those "old" maras that came out 4 years ago in 02 can STILL put a whoopin on 06 stangs that are FOUR years newer[8D]

Oh and for you guys that only know bolt ons and don't really know anything about true drag times and real motors. Those Ls1's that ya are so impressed by are turds compared to an old school 350 big block that is capable of up to 1000 hp when properly assembled with the right parts and by a good mechanic.
ummmm.... apparently you are one of the people that is clueless. the 350 is not a "big block". There is no such thing as a 350 big block.

And the LS1 engine family is worlds above any of the previous 350~ CI enigines (the LS1 isn't even a 350 anyway). 390+ WHP with just boltons and a cam, capable of 550+ on the stock shortblock with nitrous, awsome (for factory) heads and a high compression ratio from the factory.

And you can build a LS1 to make more power and be more streetable than any "old school" 350 V8. The flow numbers on even ported stock LS1s are just insane.

Now if your talking acutal big blocks... well yeah. I mean, its more CI. However, when you can make 600+ with boltons and cam in a LS7 motor....

Point being is, pound for pound nothing responds like the new engine family, and you are going to have to go with BIG cubic inches to start making it worth it. If you wanna talk 454s or 502s then we are in a totally different ballpark (price and setup wise)

EDIT: They have stock head LS1 cars in the 10s now with no power adders. Hell, there are stock engine 4v cars with FI running 9s in 3500+ pound cars.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:43 AM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

High 9's
thats a friggin beast, is it a trailer queen?
Old 06-14-2006, 01:46 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Its down in the video secition (one of em anyway) 1100+ RWHP with a set of TTs. That car has a worked engine though.

There are several cobras on a diet (getting down aroudn 3500, still pig heavy) making 850+ WHP with turbos/KB 2.4s that are running high 9s and still drive on the street
Old 06-14-2006, 01:48 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Oh and for you guys that only know bolt ons and don't really know anything about true drag times and real motors
There's a forum for that discussion on this site
calm down bud I wasnt callin you out but you did kinda start spoutin off here
No prob man i understand, wasn't trying to be an *** or anything, My vote is all for the cobra. I just wanted to inform him that (since he said it was not a DD and it was just for speed) if he truely just wanted a car to go as fast as possible then an old maro is a perfect choice to see single digit 1/4 mile times.
Well, either that or you could build a notch fox and run 9s in street trim

EFI is simply the only way to go anymore. The advancements in even the last 6-9 months are incredable. There are just too many 1000+ RWHP cars that are "streetable" (not exactly a DD but for a 1000 whp car....) running around now.

Look at that salleen that was posted awhile back. 1000 WHP and he sits in 90 degree weather idling with the air conditioner on/.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:49 AM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

there are a few here with 650horses running low 10's but they aint pretty
Old 06-14-2006, 02:05 AM
jmat2407
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

after not putting anything out for 4 or 5 years most of the camaro's I'm seeing nowadays look like dogs
friggen fiberglass looks like crap after too many close calls with curbs etc. + the fact that there arent any new ones to catch your eye
Um i love stang but DO NOT start hating on my beloved maro's. From what i recal those "old" maras that came out 4 years ago in 02 can STILL put a whoopin on 06 stangs that are FOUR years newer[8D]

Oh and for you guys that only know bolt ons and don't really know anything about true drag times and real motors. Those Ls1's that ya are so impressed by are turds compared to an old school 350 big block that is capable of up to 1000 hp when properly assembled with the right parts and by a good mechanic.
ummmm.... apparently you are one of the people that is clueless. the 350 is not a "big block". There is no such thing as a 350 big block.

And the LS1 engine family is worlds above any of the previous 350~ CI enigines (the LS1 isn't even a 350 anyway). 390+ WHP with just boltons and a cam, capable of 550+ on the stock shortblock with nitrous, awsome (for factory) heads and a high compression ratio from the factory.

And you can build a LS1 to make more power and be more streetable than any "old school" 350 V8. The flow numbers on even ported stock LS1s are just insane.

Now if your talking acutal big blocks... well yeah. I mean, its more CI. However, when you can make 600+ with boltons and cam in a LS7 motor....

Point being is, pound for pound nothing responds like the new engine family, and you are going to have to go with BIG cubic inches to start making it worth it. If you wanna talk 454s or 502s then we are in a totally different ballpark (price and setup wise)

EDIT: They have stock head LS1 cars in the 10s now with no power adders. Hell, there are stock engine 4v cars with FI running 9s in 3500+ pound cars.
haha my bad, kinda need 2 pay a lil more attention to what im doing. restart- Ok the 350 shortblock is still a beast in itself. You take your Ls1 and put 15k+ into jus the engine and I'll take my 350 and for a 3rd the price I'll put up WAY better numbers then you all day long at the track. Now if you want to pull this twin turbo rice crap out ur *** then we will just move up to the big blocks. Your tt stang against a 70 chev gutted of all uncessisary, wheight, packing rough 1350 hp running 6's and 7's, hmm i wonder whos going to win...he'll even this Ls7 ur talking about is still not going to run with the old school big blocks without putting in MANY times the amount of money for the car and the motor

OH and i never once stated the Ls1 as a 350...also that this thread was for fast and performance not luxury
Old 06-14-2006, 03:58 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

haha my bad, kinda need 2 pay a lil more attention to what im doing. restart- Ok the 350 shortblock is still a beast in itself. You take your Ls1 and put 15k+ into jus the engine and I'll take my 350 and for a 3rd the price I'll put up WAY better numbers then you all day long at the track. Now if you want to pull this twin turbo rice crap out ur *** then we will just move up to the big blocks. Your tt stang against a 70 chev gutted of all uncessisary, wheight, packing rough 1350 hp running 6's and 7's, hmm i wonder whos going to win...he'll even this Ls7 ur talking about is still not going to run with the old school big blocks without putting in MANY times the amount of money for the car and the motor

OH and i never once stated the Ls1 as a 350...also that this thread was for fast and performance not luxury
Hell, lets see a 5K "old school" 350 chevy making even 400 WHP on all motor with the "beast" stock shortblock. I have not seen it done. Also, lets see a 7-8 second N/A 350 motor, or even one based on a 350. NOT gonna happen. And I can't even figure out where you would spend 15K on a LS1 engine. I think you need to spend some time on a few of the LS1 forums before you start talking ****. Seriously, 10s on the STOCK heads/intake/shortblock! And this is on a 3000LB + car with a/c thats totally streetable! Some of the stock heads/intake/shortblock LS1 guys are running NINES on the juice!!

Sure, you can gut the **** out of a car and run a BB on nitrous, and run some great times, but you can't look cool with no a/c. And you WONT be running around on the street with a 8 second BB all motor car, that is for dammed sure. It might race on the street, but it pulls up on a trailer and leaves right afterwards.

Seriously, there is no comparson. My father owns a 69 mach 1 w/ a 351W. Its quite a machine, but you won't see him driving it down to florida or letting it idle in 100 degree weather. Speaking of dad, him and my brothers had the same additude you have about new engines and technology. I say "had" because this all changed the first time I took the car up there with the blower installed. I kept hearing "its just a different level of horsepower" etc until they drove it for the first time. For some reason, the mach didn't come out of the garage that weekend.

There is just NO comparason between a gutted not street leagal car and a DD 700+ WHP car with full interior and a/c. Even most of the "old school" guys that want to make big numbers on the street are going EFI. This is why you see 60s camaros with LS1 swaps and your "old school" 350s with EFI.

I can even argue with your statements about big blocks etc. Check out the times the "rice" turbocharged foxbodys are turning at WFC 9. Hell, take a look at your big GM races. That big hole in the bumper isn't for letting air into a N/A engine.

Most of your comments MIGHT have been valid say 5-6 years ago, but EFI and the "new" motors have come a LONG way.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:15 AM
Rusmisel01GT
5th Gear Member

You cant get any "punani" in a fox body....
Old 06-14-2006, 04:17 AM
cobrapony27
1st Gear Member

Im with 2000GT4.6 on this, the LS series motors are just about standard of the industry now, you can get alot hp out of them easily, and their very streetable, as well as other EFI cars. Thats why just about all forms of racing except NA$CRAP (Which their not even runing "old school" 350's, they run alot of the new SBC2.2 stuff) has went to the LS series. the only probelms with them are they have the oil drain backs right above the crank so the oil gets airated, thats why they went dry sump on ls7.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: To buy 5.0 or 4.6?