4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Buying headers, whats needed for install?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 04:16 AM
Black98GT
1st Gear Member

Default Buying headers, whats needed for install?

Thanks to my new management position at work and my raise I'll have enough money within the next couple weeks to start some major upgrades (also considering i just paid for my shelled out rearend - 1108.02). I'm gonna go with BBK LT's, Mac O/R-X and then SLP LM'1s. My question is for those of you who have already swapped the stocker manifolds for headers. What all is needed to change it out, tools wise. Its been lowered 1.5" so I'm taking it as common sense that I will need to lift it off the ground but how far will i need to go? Is it really that big of a pain to put them in? Thanks, any pictures of an install, information I will need when getting into it, prices from cheaper sites, would be very very very greatly appreciated.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:24 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Buying headers, whats needed for install?

ORIGINAL: Black98GT

Thanks to my new management position at work and my raise I'll have enough money within the next couple weeks to start some major upgrades (also considering i just paid for my shelled out rearend - 1108.02). I'm gonna go with BBK LT's, Mac O/R-X and then SLP LM'1s. My question is for those of you who have already swapped the stocker manifolds for headers. What all is needed to change it out, tools wise. Its been lowered 1.5" so I'm taking it as common sense that I will need to lift it off the ground but how far will i need to go? Is it really that big of a pain to put them in? Thanks, any pictures of an install, information I will need when getting into it, prices from cheaper sites, would be very very very greatly appreciated.
If you haven't done this or something similar before, its a huge job. You really really need the car as far up in the air as possible.

With 2 experenced mechanics helping me, and the car 5+ feet in the air (lifted by forklifts rofl) it was still a major pain in the ***. There are lots of tight spaces you can barely get to, and its just a general PITA.

If you can afford it, get someone else to put it on. Also, I would recommend the BBK or anything else but MAC o/r X. I personally have not heard much good and lots of bad things about MAC. The BBK x isn't the best peice in the world, but I refuse to put anythign with "mac" on it in my car.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:35 AM
geetee03
5th Gear Member

gaskets, heard the ones that come with the headers are no good. also o2 sensor extentions.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:58 AM
HaV
5th Gear Member

LT's? I havent done mine yet.. but from the sounds of it you need atleast 4 bottles of KY, a rabbits foot, a priest, and a little luck if your gonna do them with out atleast lifting the motor.

Ive done headers on two other stangs, and did turbo back exhaust on my friends WRX the other day (talk about a job... we shoulda just pulled the motor.. heat shielding is my worst enemy as of now.)

Anyways, if you unbolt from your motor mounts and put the floor jack under your kmember, and jack it up a few inches it should help a LOT... and you will need some rust removal spray as well to hit the bolts with and pray they come out without force... we have had to have one person holding the socket on, and another laying on their back kicking it as hard as they could to even budge the bolts... and some people end up breaking out the torch to heat them up to try and take them out.