4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Which would you recommend first?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 04:32 PM
fastsilverstang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Which would you recommend first?!?!

drop it likes it HOT!!!! LOL
Old 06-15-2006, 05:08 PM
suzukidragracer
2nd Gear Member

Ok, I think I'm gonna drop it first.

That way I can just replace the control arm bushings while I'm in there.

The car will look, ride, and handle better than before.

I am definitely going to get gears, just can't decide if I want a catback/mid-pipe first!

But I'll save that question for later......

Thanks guys,
Vince Woska

PS: check me out here: http://www.brocksperformance.com/champions.htm
Old 06-15-2006, 05:27 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Ok, now that I know you have no fear of going fast.......and nailing corners......... definitly reinforce the car FIRST. All those braces I mentioned, and maybe even a 4point cage. I had an 89 LX that I literally cracked my dash down the center goin around a corner, 90* off camber that I hit at roughly 60. These cars flex A LOT, as for shocks/struts get adjustables, (koni,tokico) that way youre not stuck with only one rate of dampening. Then do the exhaust, gears, etc.
-P.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:59 PM
bsteen81
3rd Gear Member

Sounds good but where are you really gonna use all that suspension??? Dont you think that straight line speed would be more practical for an everyday driver? I meen your not racing on a track are you?
Old 06-15-2006, 06:01 PM
hack_239
1st Gear Member

I would definitely FIX problems before worrying about exhaust, gears, or anything else. Fast and loud doesn't do you any good if the vehicle isn't in good mechanical condition first. Besides you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone by getting the handling you desire while at the same time eliminating the old, worn out parts. I personally went exhaust first, but I only have 27k now, and I have had the Magnapacks for 6 months. BTW...I love them and would recommend them to anyone.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:05 PM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

Gears then drop it.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:47 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bsteen81

Sounds good but where are you really gonna use all that suspension??? Dont you think that straight line speed would be more practical for an everyday driver? I meen your not racing on a track are you?
Well thats the thing, it is actually MORE practical to have a car that can corner for the street. Theres countless times where ppl have cut me off and Ive managed to avoid hitting someone/something cuz I can quickly maneuver. Straight line cars dont handle for ****, you crank the wheel to get outta the way and nothin happens, it just slides. Also, the reason I suggested the adjustable shocks is so if youre going on a long trip somewhere you can crank it down and still have a comfortable ride, or if you wanna go to the road race course crank it up, or you can even adjust it for the strip.
-P.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:00 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Well, if you wanna look like your fast drop it. If you wanna be fast, add gears. Unless you plan on racing around a circuit track, I wouldnt touch the suspension for a while. Also, if you do go with gears, go with the 3:73 if you are gonna want big HP in the future, and 4:10 if you are just gonna do full bolt-ons or close to it. You will lose 1st gear if you go with 4:10 and high HP.
you have obviously had no gear experience with the T-3650, if i had his exact car, i personally would put 4.30s in there

http://www.stangnet.com/Tech-Article...d-Answers.html
Old 06-15-2006, 07:13 PM
40thgtfl
3rd Gear Member

some people like to race over 110 mhp.....
Old 06-15-2006, 07:27 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustangman02232

Well, if you wanna look like your fast drop it. If you wanna be fast, add gears. Unless you plan on racing around a circuit track, I wouldnt touch the suspension for a while. Also, if you do go with gears, go with the 3:73 if you are gonna want big HP in the future, and 4:10 if you are just gonna do full bolt-ons or close to it. You will lose 1st gear if you go with 4:10 and high HP.
you have obviously had no gear experience with the T-3650, if i had his exact car, i personally would put 4.30s in there
That would be great for a strip car, in my opinion, especially a bone stock strip car. But for a mainly street car thats just too much, not to mention your gas milage is gonna suffer tremendously. I cant imagine that ANY v-8 (other than the ones that shut down 4 cylinders)will get good gas milage above 3000 rpm, unless youre going 100mph. Also, drive that thing in the rain see how much tirespin you get. Hell my 4 cyl. would spin the tires no problem in the rain with decent tires (comp t/a). And those 2.3's had no *****. I believe it had a 3.45 gear.
Id say put a 3.73 in, its a good all around gear, decent for the strip, good for the street. Just my opinion, Im not a drag racer, so I dont go extreme with my gearing. When I do build a dedicated strip car itll have 4.56 gears.
-P.

Quick Reply: Which would you recommend first?!?!