4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

TB/Plenums: Accufab or BBK-advice please

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 12:42 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: TB/Plenums: Accufab or BBK-advice please

ORIGINAL: sweet99

I am new and doing a LOT of research and searching. I am interested in opinions of the two combo's I mentioned. The Accufab appears to have nicer machining and finish while the BBK is a well known name and is $100. cheaper. Also Mustangtuning has a CAI for just $85. and how much difference is there between CAI's? I read they are only good for 2-4RWHP as it is so why spend more, any reason? I have a '99 Convertible w/auto tranny. Not in the title but RPMoutlet has gears and tuners for $449. I am still not totally clear on the tuners but this is a good price. Thanks for helping as I will be having a lot of questions so I do this right the first time! Mark
If you are looking for a CAI/MAF/inlet setup I will sell ya the C&L stuff for 150 bucks plus shipping (10 bucks?) used.

Cost me 355+ shipping new. I took it off to put the blower on.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:43 AM
Master
3rd Gear Member

accufab is better
Old 06-19-2006, 01:04 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Master

accufab is better
IMO there isn't a butt dyno made that will tell the difference.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:24 AM
Master
3rd Gear Member

i dont remember how long ago but 5.0 magazine did a plenum test and the accufab was top dog... i would assume not by very on a non supercharged motor but i look at it this way, the sky is the limit and sooner or later i will see more gains cause of the parts i used and when i get my supercharger someday ill gain that much more from it
Old 06-19-2006, 09:57 AM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xxkazp3rxxi was told by a few good sources that the MAF's are useless for bolt on cars... I'd go with atleast BBK - no pro products. Again about the tuners... you should find a speed shop near you and find out what they use. This way if you really do go with a dyno tune in the future like if you put on FI, Cams, Nitrous, etc., you are compatible with your shop.. The tuner will crispen your shifts, as will a shift kit and a stall converter this way you can slam it at higher rpms once you get suspension to handle that...
Here is what I plan to do:
1. CAI-not sure what model, Brenspeed has a nice looking one but it's $170. Other good ones?
2. TB/Plenum-I am leaning towards the Accufab 75mm.
3. Gears and tuner. I need to find a shop that can do the complete gear change, not many guys can set-up gears. Then for the tune I guess I send them my mods and probably pay for an extra tune for the planned mods.
4.Exhuast would be last and I need cats, possibly Pypes front section?
5. Wheels. There is a special at one of the vendors for Bullitt's, 9" front and 10.5" rears. $679.!?
Sorry for the long post but I wanted you guys to see the whole plan. I do not plan to get into the motor as I had my fill on the Talon:&gt Thanks, Mark
Old 06-19-2006, 01:00 PM
hack_239
1st Gear Member

May I ask why exhaust is last? You can have all the air in the world flowing through that new plenum/TB but if you keep the exhaust stock, you won't see much, if any, benefit of the new intake setup. I have heard others on this site say an engine is an air pump, the more air you let in, the more air that needs to get out. I personally have the BBK 75mm TB/plenum on the way. My next mods will be headers and a catted X. (assuming I can convince my wife that headers and a midpipe won't void my extended warrenty...any suggestions on this feat will greatly appreciated) I am waiting until last for gears and a tuner. I know that most would say I should have done that first, but that's just my personal preference.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:41 PM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hack_239

May I ask why exhaust is last? You can have all the air in the world flowing through that new plenum/TB but if you keep the exhaust stock, you won't see much, if any, benefit of the new intake setup. I have heard others on this site say an engine is an air pump, the more air you let in, the more air that needs to get out. I personally have the BBK 75mm TB/plenum on the way. My next mods will be headers and a catted X. (assuming I can convince my wife that headers and a midpipe won't void my extended warrenty...any suggestions on this feat will greatly appreciated) I am waiting until last for gears and a tuner. I know that most would say I should have done that first, but that's just my personal preference.
With all of the intake done and stock exhaust it will be like blowing into a straw. I would spend the money on exhaust first, I did, and then when I finally got the intake done I really noticed a difference, but my intake included a Vortech I'll sell you my BBK CAI for $75 including shipping.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:12 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

Well I just lost $20K on my Talon. I had about $26K in it and parted it out as I could not sell it with a cracked cylinder. Maybe I got $8K. back so the loss would be $18K. The exhausts are expensive and I have not learned which is the best yet. Pypes? One guy with a supercharged 2000 said to get a Bassani? I am 53 so I don't want a noisy system either.
I was told headers are an 8 hour job and it might even be necessary to raise the motor to install them. Long tubes are the only way to go IMHO.
So I need to do more research.
Like the BBK system offered, the used one. Does the filter sit completely outside the engine compartment? Send me pics at marksweet@webtv.net
Do ALL of the factory hoses and such fit onto the BBK?
Now I may do the exhaust before the gears as I don't know where to begin to find a shop that can set up gears. the one guy I know wants the center section removed and brought to him, NOT! I need to find a shop to do it all.
As for the exhaust and the wife, just give her the same amount you are spending for herself to spend on her hobby. If she drives the car equally give her 50%. Good Luck!
You guys are helping me narrow down the products that I will use and it's appreciated. I may do CAI and then exhaust if I get the info I need on what system to buy. What would I need? The exhaust pipes with cats and a cat-back? Are these pipes 2.5" as I have not seen sizes mentioned by the vendors or I missed it. Please keep the advice/suggestions and even criticism coming. mark
Old 06-19-2006, 03:16 PM
bsteen81
3rd Gear Member

Pro mustang perfromance 75mm TB & Plenum combo, same performance for half thr price!
Old 06-19-2006, 03:24 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

Pro Mustang Performance, is that the dealer? If not what vendor? Thanks, Mark
PS: Also what are UDP's, some kind of downpipes?
I need advice from experienced stang owners. I saw a guy on this forum who had 340HP in his sig. I would like to find him and see what mods he has! Mark

Quick Reply: TB/Plenums: Accufab or BBK-advice please