4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

TB/Plenums: Accufab or BBK-advice please

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 03:28 PM
djdalfaro
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: TB/Plenums: Accufab or BBK-advice please

I've got the 75 Accufab combo.. I love it. Don't know if you will or not, but I do.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:42 PM
mightyb28
2nd Gear Member

Professonal Products from blue oval industries on ebay. 2/3 the price of the others and nice and perty on the inside. Add in a CAI and get some really noticeable power.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:45 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sweet99

Pro Mustang Performance, is that the dealer? If not what vendor? Thanks, Mark
PS: Also what are UDP's, some kind of downpipes?
I need advice from experienced stang owners. I saw a guy on this forum who had 340HP in his sig. I would like to find him and see what mods he has! Mark
You're probably talking about Code3gt. Hes got some SERIOUS money invested in his car. UDPs are under drive pulleys.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:49 PM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sweet99

Pro Mustang Performance, is that the dealer? If not what vendor? Thanks, Mark
PS: Also what are UDP's, some kind of downpipes?
I need advice from experienced stang owners. I saw a guy on this forum who had 340HP in his sig. I would like to find him and see what mods he has! Mark
UDP's are Underdrive Pullies.
The guy with 340rwhp you are referring to is probably Code3gt, he has spent ALOT of money to get their. And you will need alot more than bolt-ons. The longer you use these boards the more familiar you will become with the people who know what they are talking about. I leeched ALOT of info off of this site and now I couldn't be happier.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:54 PM
bsteen81
3rd Gear Member

No guys, pro mustang performance is a sponsored vendor here. At the top of the home page is the site. Here it is http://www.promustangperformance.com/
Old 06-20-2006, 09:36 AM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blackbetty01
ORIGINAL: hack_239May I ask why exhaust is last? You can have all the air in the world flowing through that new plenum/TB but if you keep the exhaust stock, you won't see much, if any, benefit of the new intake setup. I have heard others on this site say an engine is an air pump, the more air you let in, the more air that needs to get out. I personally have the BBK 75mm TB/plenum on the way. My next mods will be headers and a catted X. (assuming I can convince my wife that headers and a midpipe won't void my extended warrenty...any suggestions on this feat will greatly appreciated) I am waiting until last for gears and a tuner. I know that most would say I should have done that first, but that's just my personal preference.
With all of the intake done and stock exhaust it will be like blowing into a straw. I would spend the money on exhaust first, I did, and then when I finally got the intake done I really noticed a difference, but my intake included a Vortech I'll sell you my BBK CAI for $75 including shipping.
I'll take it but I lost your email and did not get pics so I will PM you. Thanks. Mark
PS: Do the under drive pulleys require a different serpentine belt or does the stock one fit? Also it looks like nthe stock crank pulley needs na puller. Where do you guys get that? Do you have a Ford garage change the pulleys? And last does it upset nthe balance of the rotating assembly having a different weight crank pulley? The ones I am looking at are from Summit and are anodized aluminum for $99. Mark
Old 06-20-2006, 10:27 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Remember though about the exhaust, without headers... you're only going to see a handful of rwhp from the exhaust. 5-7rwhp at the most, same with the cai (3-5rwhp), and the tb/plenum combo (7-10rwhp). Bassani exhaust is the best imo, but it's also the most expensive. Go to that mustangexhaust.com website and you can hear one that you'll eventually get. The UDP will free up 5-8rwhp, while not much by themselves they all do add up. X pipe is louder then H pipe - h pipe gives you better low end power, while x pipe is better mid range power. I would stay away from the pro products tb/plenum - i've had to many people tell me that they bought it, and it's really a cheap knock off of the trickflow brand, but not as neat. A lot of people had to sand them down of sorts in order to smooth it out. Still I think the first 3-4 mods you should be doing is: gears/tune, then intake setup, then exhaust. Worry about the pulleys and stuff later. Gears and tune however are going to be the best bang for your buck... You have an automatic convert., i'd say 4.10's would be about right.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:42 AM
SleepingGT
2nd Gear Member

no matter which one you get you're better off if you port and polish the inside before you put it on, i would go with the accufab 75mm tb/plen and polish up the inside a little bit if they're are any edges that need it

keep in mind however,
accufab 75mm tb/plen $450---- possible as much as 10 rwhp n/a
nitrous express wet kit $500---- possible 150(+ if you run race gas) rwhp
Old 06-20-2006, 07:20 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

Guys I just came off a high HP run that cost a lot of cash and time. My Talon was making 400AWHP, maybe more doing high 11's at 120mph. Too expensive, painful as I am disabled and dangerous. I want a nice highway cruiser that will have more power than stock and like I said do a 13.5 1/4 mile.
I was at a show where a guy had a beautiful black 2000 with a lot of Saleen parts including the supercharger and he would NOT put headers on because of the 8 hour install and then the possibility of blown gaskets and another 8 hour job. I have a friend with a heavy 1965 Chrysler 300L. It has a 413c.i. motor, rebuilt, no headers and it does 13.7's. With 3 guys in it we pulled on a '71 Javelin with a 401 built with headers and just the driver at 125mph. 1400lb weight difference and the chrysler won. The motor made the difference, better build and proper parts selection.
That brings me to the RPMoutlet offer of gears and a tuner for $449. even has the gear install kit. But what tuner, the SCT cal2 or Predator?
I can't see $500. headers with a $400.+ install fee and then possible gaskets blowing. I am looking for a more casual modded ride. No nitrous either! I need to contact RPM. Thanks for the input guys, it's all appreciated. mark
Old 06-20-2006, 07:39 PM
djdalfaro
2nd Gear Member

well if you're getting pulleys, from what I've heard you want steeda's pulleys, not anything less than ~180.00, because anything less is "piggyback", and you stand the risk of messing stuff up.

Quick Reply: TB/Plenums: Accufab or BBK-advice please