4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

bbk exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 10:58 PM
5speedstang
4th Gear Member

Default bbk exhaust

i looked at prices for longtube headers and an o/r x pipe on summit. the price comes up to 678.00 thats not that bad i dont think. now. will long tube headers sound differnt than short tubes? are they a bitch to put on? hp. gains on long tubes and short tubes are they differnt. i new to all this so i may have repeative threads so deal with me please. i dont want to go over 850-900 on headers to mufflers. will they sound fine with flowmaster 40's?

question number 2
o/r x compared to an h. are the gains differnt? sound i know will be. is one better than the other? just for street use and some track when i get a daily driver.

some opp. please
Old 06-18-2006, 11:01 PM
Albizo66
4th Gear Member

Default RE: bbk exhaust

longtubes sound deeper that shortys, although shorties may be louder at idle, longtubes sound amazing at WOT..and are very deep while cruising...i think an o/r h would sound better than an o/r x with your flows..flows sound horrible with an x IMO..you will gain 12-15 rwhp from the full exhaust as compared to 8~ with the shorties
Old 06-18-2006, 11:03 PM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

Go longtubes or don't do headers at all imo. Yes, longtubes are a pain to install, so if your not mechanically inclined I would find someone else to install them. Get the o/r h pipe with your flows it will sound like sex. And with a full exhaust set up you should see around 20rwhp.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:05 PM
Rusmisel01GT
5th Gear Member

Only a handfull of people on this website have put on there own LT headers.... it is a 12 hour process, literaly, and some will say its worth doing yourself and others will say have a shop do it... just letting you know its gonna be a HUGE hassle. but well worth it in the end.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:08 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

i looked at prices for longtube headers and an o/r x pipe on summit. the price comes up to 678.00 thats not that bad i dont think. now. will long tube headers sound differnt than short tubes? are they a bitch to put on? hp. gains on long tubes and short tubes are they differnt. i new to all this so i may have repeative threads so deal with me please. i dont want to go over 850-900 on headers to mufflers. will they sound fine with flowmaster 40's?

question number 2
o/r x compared to an h. are the gains differnt? sound i know will be. is one better than the other? just for street use and some track when i get a daily driver.
Ok here we go...

You should pay about $500 for BBK LT Ceramic COATED Headers. Do NOT get chrome. And an o/r midpipe should be about $180 so your pricing is right. I have the BBK LTs on my stang and they are awesome, they treat me well. The sound is quite amazing, and Im sure the gains are pretty accurate too, even though I was never dynoed.

Shorty Headers are worthless on our cars, forget about them... But just to answer your question, they sounds are most likely slightly different, LTs being deeper... Probably not too noticable though. Gains between the 2 are dyno proven. Shorties = 3-5 RWHP and LT's = 15-18 RWHP ALONE. With a full exhaust + LTs you will see around 20 to the wheels. So again, Shorties are worthless to us.

ALL types of headers are a complete BITCH to put on. I paid to have mine put on, but now I kind of wish I would have tried myself because I would have saved $600. You need to lift the car and the motor, and the space is TIGHT. If you have the tools and lift and whatnot, I would try it yourself first, you will save A LOT of $$.

O/R X pipe is LOOOUDD. O/R pipe is deep. Off road pipes are really for the track only, lol... So pick which ever one you like the best. Neither of them are suppose to be on the road! The gains are basically the same, X picks up 1-2 more HP over the band, H gives 1-2 more pounds of torque in the lower RPMs.

The sound difference is basically this. X is much louder than H. H is deeper than the X, but for me... The X is far deep enough in the low RPMs where it needs to have a nice roar. They BOTH are choppy and crackle. The H will "pop" more than the X, but both sound somewhat the same at WOT, the X is just a lot louder... More magnified.

Hope this helps!

-Mike
Old 06-18-2006, 11:21 PM
Albizo66
4th Gear Member

meebix..where is our soundclip? lol
Old 06-18-2006, 11:25 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

meebix..where is our soundclip? lol
Coming as soon as school ends this week, and as long as the new owner lets me

Just been busy finishing up school, working, and with my new ride! [8D]
Old 06-18-2006, 11:34 PM
Albizo66
4th Gear Member

i hear ya on the school thing man
Old 06-19-2006, 10:54 AM
Dragon02GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Albizo66

longtubes sound deeper that shortys, although shorties may be louder at idle, longtubes sound amazing at WOT..and are very deep while cruising...i think an o/r h would sound better than an o/r x with your flows..flows sound horrible with an x IMO..you will gain 12-15 rwhp from the full exhaust as compared to 8~ with the shorties
+1,000,000
Old 06-19-2006, 10:58 AM
Dragon02GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rusmisel01GT

Only a handfull of people on this website have put on there own LT headers.... it is a 12 hour process, literaly, and some will say its worth doing yourself and others will say have a shop do it... just letting you know its gonna be a HUGE hassle. but well worth it in the end.
I put them on myself. Took about 14 hours by myself. I would definantly do it myself just to save the $600 install fee, yes it is a pain but worth it in the end.

Quick Reply: bbk exhaust