4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

A quick FYI for us MODULAR guys...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 10:38 AM
70 MACH I
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: A quick FYI for us MODULAR guys...

Dan,
If I'm not mistaken there is a hydraulic fulcrum, that supports one end of the cam follower, the other contacts the valve tip. The hydraulic fulcrum acts like a lifter in the sense that it maintains zero lash. The whole deal works like a second class lever. If that hydraulic fulcrum sticks or gets gummed up, you will get valve noise.

John
Old 07-13-2006, 10:14 PM
99GT99
1st Gear Member

so i have a question so do modular engines have flux capacitors??? like the dalorian........ in back to the future hahahahahhahah sorry...................
Old 07-14-2006, 12:56 AM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

i figured out why people keep asking bout lifters. people see on steedas website. "timing chain & lifters" so yea..
Old 07-25-2006, 08:03 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 70 MACH I

Dan,
If I'm not mistaken there is a hydraulic fulcrum, that supports one end of the cam follower, the other contacts the valve tip. The hydraulic fulcrum acts like a lifter in the sense that it maintains zero lash. The whole deal works like a second class lever. If that hydraulic fulcrum sticks or gets gummed up, you will get valve noise.

John
This guys right... There called "hydraulic lash adjusters" from what I know them as. They may be called hydraulic fulcrum, but what ever there called there there. They are positioned on one end of the roller rocker arm, while the other side of the roller rocker arm's tip lies on the valve... The roller, lays underneath the cam. The purpose as 70 Mach 1 said, is to adjust for 0 valve lash. This is probably the reason why we cant rev up past 6500rpm or around there on cobra or GT motors... I am guessing they get experience the same type of valve float as regular cam in block motors with hydraulic lifters experience. See you can see in my picture, when I was replacing my cams... There the little nipples that are infront of each one of the cams lobes... Then you can see the valve and springs behind the lobes... Then the roller rocker goes underneath the cam and is supported on either end, but the hydraulic lash adjuster and valve tip... Just try to imagine it... Its ture thought...
Old 07-25-2006, 10:59 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

Here are the Hydraulic Lash Adjuster:

From here. http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/...edb3ced210478a

Also heres the Roller Rocker:

From Here... http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/...edb3ced210478a

From what I remember the part on the left where the resses is where the valve stem goes. The other side where there is a channel goes the hydraulic lash adjuster pushes up against. Then the cam rolls over ontop.

All these pictures were from Sean Hyland Motorsports website.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:45 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

I think it's the other way around.. The domed, recessed part is where the HLA goes, as you can see the little port on the rocker arm, and the little nipple on the HLA. That's the oil port..

I think the reason our engines don't like going over 6500 RPMs is because the Rods/Wrist pins, not the valve train being Hydraulic..

Look at Hondas, OHC, yet their redline is 7800+ RPMs. Why?? Not immediately because of valvetrain, but because of the bottom end..

JT
Old 07-26-2006, 01:26 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GodAmGT00

I think it's the other way around.. The domed, recessed part is where the HLA goes, as you can see the little port on the rocker arm, and the little nipple on the HLA. That's the oil port..

I think the reason our engines don't like going over 6500 RPMs is because the Rods/Wrist pins, not the valve train being Hydraulic..

Look at Hondas, OHC, yet their redline is 7800+ RPMs. Why?? Not immediately because of valvetrain, but because of the bottom end..

JT
Yeah I dont remember which side went on which.. But its there. I dont know much about hondas valve train. Do they have hydralic lash adjusters too? Do you think they sell solid lash adjusters? I know the weak link is the rods and pin, but if that was replaced...
Old 07-26-2006, 01:27 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

yeah be pretty interesting to see lifters on an overhead cam, lol
Old 07-26-2006, 03:11 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

I'm pretty sure that most OHC cars use HLA's, since the technology is proven and inexpensive.. My old Pontiac had HLA's, and it was something like $15 for each HLA, and $8 for rocker arms.. Now, for a solid lash adjuster, I'm not sure... I'm not even sure how a solid one would work..

Would it have a separate manual adjustment rather than a automatic hydraulic adjustment??

Also, thanks for the pictures.. It will hopefully help others understand what is being mentioned here...

JT
Old 08-04-2006, 04:42 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

And that SOB sold me 16 lifters and a six pack of snake oil.

Quick Reply: A quick FYI for us MODULAR guys...