4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

A quick FYI for us MODULAR guys...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 07:37 PM
Uglet90GT

Default lash adjusters to be clear.

Originally Posted by Dan04COBRA
Modular motors don't have lifters.

I've corrected this about 5 times in 2 weeks. Just thought I'd clear that up for everyone, so there isn't anymore misinformation passed around...
Anyone interested should look up yoyoparts.com, you'll see how many cars with a similar valve train have the exact same part. the manager at auto zone showed me this one. Cam in block = push rods. Overhead cam = no lifter/ no push rods.
However you'll find a hydraulic valve lash adjuster part numbers vary, but if you cross reference Elgin (HL7000) or Sealed Power (HT-2271) you might find others.
It's NOT a lifter!!! In my opinion it shouldn't even be hydraulic... It's really just a pivot point for the rocker. Not my idea. If you want more HP and more TQ with consistency just Google "4.7l solid lash adjuster" and you'll see what I'm using.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:01 PM
VTX1800N1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Uglet90GT

Anyone interested should look up yoyoparts.com, you'll see how many cars with a similar valve train have the exact same part. the manager at auto zone showed me this one. Cam in block = push rods. Overhead cam = no lifter/ no push rods.
However you'll find a hydraulic valve lash adjuster part numbers vary, but if you cross reference Elgin (HL7000) or Sealed Power (HT-2271) you might find others.
It's NOT a lifter!!! In my opinion it shouldn't even be hydraulic... It's really just a pivot point for the rocker. Not my idea. If you want more HP and more TQ with consistency just Google "4.7l solid lash adjuster" and you'll see what I'm using.
If it were not hydraulic, you would have to open the valve covers and make periodic adjustments for cam follower to valve clearance. I have to do this on my motorcycle with solid lash adjusters. It's not fun. Be thankful they are hydraulic.

Sent from my XT1080 using IB AutoGroup
Old 10-19-2014, 01:35 PM
Uglet90GT

So if i get this right, would you prefer to have hydraulic and non adjustable. You are used to the opposite end of the problem. If your bike were hydraulic and prone to catastrophic failure. The thought of a random lash adjuster sticking full open and the rocker arm falling off. No need to explain that.
I would rather keep an eye (or ear) on another component that will increase hp & tq that I can anticipate... Even if I have to go in occasionally and adjust. If they made that part so it wouldn't fail out of the blue I might not have ever needed to go in and tear it up.
Who doesn't wanna work on their Stang
Old 10-19-2014, 02:22 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

I believe both solid and hydraulic lifters/lash adjusters have they're place. Lets not be a bunch of key board warriors here.......
Old 10-19-2014, 03:43 PM
VTX1800N1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Uglet90GT
So if i get this right, would you prefer to have hydraulic and non adjustable. You are used to the opposite end of the problem. If your bike were hydraulic and prone to catastrophic failure. The thought of a random lash adjuster sticking full open and the rocker arm falling off. No need to explain that.
I would rather keep an eye (or ear) on another component that will increase hp & tq that I can anticipate... Even if I have to go in occasionally and adjust. If they made that part so it wouldn't fail out of the blue I might not have ever needed to go in and tear it up.
Who doesn't wanna work on their Stang
The frequency of failure of a lash adjusters or lifters (they both work the same way and for the same purpose) is extremely low with modern technology. There are hundreds of millions of cars with hundreds of trillions of miles using this tech that have absolutely zero problems. Given engine / chassis packaging in not just the Mustang, but all types of vehicles, it would be an absolute nightmare if we didn't have this tech and they were all solid lifter engines. Worse, buying a used car or truck, would you be able to trust that this critical periodic maintenance was always performed on time (example, every 8K miles on my motorcycle) and correctly without dealer documentation? No, you wouldn't. Solid lifters have their place still in an extremely limited number of applications, but I'll take maintenance free hydraulic lifters every time, given the choice.

As far as working on a Mustang, give me a break...... https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...e-rebuild.html

Sent from my XT1080 using IB AutoGroup

Last edited by VTX1800N1; 10-19-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:38 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

bump an 8yr old thread to argue the name of the lash adjusters in a mod motor

everyone go home, you're all drunk
Old 10-25-2014, 07:43 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

This thread..... lash adjuster failure causing catastrophic damage in these motors is about the same chance of getting struck by lightening. Sure u might get a ticker but thays about it