4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

cleaning the heads?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 03:30 AM
damdanger
2nd Gear Member

Default cleaning the heads?

when i took the valve covers off my passenger side head was just filled with crusty burnt oil, driver side isnt to bad, what is the best way to clean this without screwin sumthing up
Old 06-21-2006, 03:32 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: cleaning the heads?

Why did you pull the valve covers off?
Old 06-21-2006, 03:34 AM
damdanger
2nd Gear Member

timing chain was takin a dump, had way to much slack, was makin a racket
Old 06-21-2006, 03:38 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

You are not going to be able to do anything with the timing chains by taking the valve covers off except. As far as the burnt oil, heck man, it could be a number of things. Do you have a lot more slack on the passenger side timing chain v.s. the drivers side?
Old 06-21-2006, 03:41 AM
damdanger
2nd Gear Member

yeah, passenger side has alot of slack, im assuming i have a huge flow issue since its been backing up on the passenger side head, and since there is slack, prolly keeping the tensioner from working, i dunno i have owned a stang for a week
Old 06-21-2006, 03:47 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

I'd run a compression test on your right (passenger) cylinder bank before I tore it down any further brother. You might have some issues. If they all look good, you are going to have to pull the timing plate off the front and make sure the tensioners are not worn out and you do not have any oil restriction that tightens the tensioners.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:51 AM
damdanger
2nd Gear Member

im new to this, how do i run a compression test, you think if the oiul is restricted at the tensioner it would keep the passenger side head from getting flow properly?
Old 06-21-2006, 04:00 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: damdanger

im new to this, how do i run a compression test, you think if the oiul is restricted at the tensioner it would keep the passenger side head from getting flow properly?
The easiest way to do a compression test is to buy a screw-in compression gauge. The gauge screws into where the spark plug is and as the motor is cranked over, it measures the psi of the cylinder. If the timing chain tensioner oil passage is restricted, it isn't necessary a sign of bad oil flow to the heads. The oil pressure of the tensioner is that of the oil pump but the pressure feed to the heads is apx. 4 psi less from what I have seen. But, if the chain tensioner oil feed outlet on that side is just "gummed up" it is quite possible that you would have other oil pressure restrictions on the same side just farther up the valve train.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:05 AM
damdanger
2nd Gear Member

any suggestions on flushing it, when i ran the car everything ran fine except for the timing chain tick, oil pressure was always good, it never dropped. i have everything torn off the front of my motor except the timing chain cover,
Old 06-21-2006, 04:09 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

Underneath that elusive timing chain cover is where you are going to find the timing chain tensioners and the timing chain oil preasure ports.

By the way brother, don't fix it if it isn't broke.

Quick Reply: cleaning the heads?