4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Odd clicking noise: 1999 SVT

Old 04-30-2004, 11:21 AM
mattlal

Default Odd clicking noise: 1999 SVT

I have this odd clicking noise at 2500-2000 when coasting in any gear. Although the vehicle does not appear to make the noise while under accerlation. It sounds very similar to a really bad valve, but the engine has fairly low miles and babied...so to assume bad valve is not so probable.

The vehicle has 4.10 gears, Kenny Brown Sub Connetors, Mac Longtube, Bassani X, Magnaflow ex.

Anyone have any ideas or similar issues??
Old 04-30-2004, 11:30 AM
mattlal

Default RE: Odd clicking noise: 1999 SVT

Clutch is also a King Cobra
Old 04-30-2004, 12:05 PM
Natex
2nd Gear Member

A bad valve would ping anytime the engine is running.. not just at 2500 rpm. Try taking it out of gear when coasting. If it's still clicking it could be your rear end gears. If not have your tranny checked out.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:26 PM
mattlal

I was originally thinking it was a unbalanced pulley...(I do have a set of march) but rarely do I hear it from an idle rev (it only seems to make the noise while the rpms are going down)...on occations it will make the noise (real quick) on a rev but only 4-8 clicks.

It may be coming from throw out bearing...I cannot guarentee that was replaced with the clutch..The sound does appear to be coming more from the front of the car...but it is quite hard to tell.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:49 PM
GiddiupStang
1st Gear Member

mattelal, I just bought a 97 GT(4.6l) about a week ago with 102k miles and had a similar click. I determined it not to be an internal engine problem because it had a rhythm where it would stop in between every 4-5 clicks. I too thought a pulley or belt. I had the serpentine belt replaced and the problem went away. Quick cheap option to try...
Old 04-30-2004, 02:11 PM
mattlal

truthfully..mine was looking a little worn...was next to be replaced.
The click only happen when car is in gear coasting (not with the clutch pressed in)
ex. car in fifth at 65 without any gas makes the clicking sound until it has reached ~58mph/1900rpm....it's rather annoying..

I will replace the belt asap...hopefully that will be a nice cheap fix!
Old 04-30-2004, 04:18 PM
USAMuscle
4th Gear Member

Hey matt, I had the exact same click in my '96 for awhile, and I never could figure out what the hell it was. Kinda sounded like it was coming from the dash area, or maybe under the hood towards the throttlebody. Same thing too, it only clicked when I was coasting, not under acceleration or slowing down. The only thing that changed on my car since it went away was I replaced the throwout bearing, and shortly thereafter I had the transmission rebuilt. I don't remember if the sound went away after I replaced the throwout bearing though. Replacing the belt is a good first step though, because it's cheap and a lot easier than removing the transmission.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:30 AM
mattlal

update: after getting under the vehicle and giving it a few good revs it appears to be the long tube headers to the x pipe. But in the process I realized something else (trying to troubleshoot alternatives)...I have a slight vibration [feels almost like tire vibration but unlikely] at 58-67mph. If I press the clutch in the vibration goes completly away.

BUT, this is rougly at the same speed I get this "clicking" sound if I coast in gear...(I do not believe it does it at other speeds at the same rpm, and the vibration persist while coasting)...perhaps this may help

Clutch: King Cobra
Rear: 4.10
Old 05-06-2004, 02:58 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

If the clicking noise is happening randomly in gear, sounds like a throw-out bearing issue to me.

The vibration at upper MPH that stops when you press the clutch would be your drivesshaft.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:08 AM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

dont bad release bearings make a whiney sound, rather than a click?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Odd clicking noise: 1999 SVT