4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

cutting springs

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 08:27 PM
kontroldkhaos
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: cutting springs

i would'nt do it..i just had to replace the springs and alot of suspension parts, due the the previous owner of my car doing the same sh*t
Old 07-03-2006, 08:51 PM
ericdiver
3rd Gear Member

whatever ghetto or not, i have purchaced springs and cut them on cars, i personally like to cut them because guess what, aftermarket springs DONT SIT RIGHT, and when u cut the stock ones i can make my car sit perfectly level, i cut mine on my 01 gt and cut 1.2 on one, 1 on and 1.3 and 1 and kept playing with it till it was perfect and it rides very nice and LEVEL you get a little stiffer and your not slammed like some springs, then you paid $200 for springs and your car is .5 inches higher on one side and hits in the front because it did not settle right.... so unless your going to autobaun your car do waste the money, cut them and get spend some great struts and shocks, my .02
Old 07-03-2006, 08:52 PM
ericdiver
3rd Gear Member

copied twice
Old 07-03-2006, 08:55 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

my aftermarket springs fit perfectly.

made in canada > made in china
Old 07-03-2006, 11:08 PM
Hyper00
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: redass02gt

my aftermarket springs fit perfectly.

made in canada > made in china
Mine also.

I had it done to a previous car and the ride was terrible. I felt everything in the rode, even the white lines during lane change.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:10 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

The thing about cutting springs is, if they're NOT progressive rate springs, it's NOT going to matter whether you cut 1 coil, or half of them.. They spring rate STAYS THE SAME!!

Now, stock coil springs, that's different. They are PROGRESSIVE RATE, which means that as the spring compresses, the spring rate increases, thus giving more "performance," out of more compression..

The other problem w/ cutting springs though, is that you decrease tensile strength slightly. Since I don't really imagine many of you guys taking chicanes at over 100mph, I don't think that will really be too much of a problem..

JT
Old 07-10-2006, 04:15 AM
atownboy

GHETTO? CHIP FOOSE IS GHETTO FOR CUTTING SPRINGS!!!! NO DUMBASS GHETTO IS A WOMAN WITH NO JOB AND 6 KIDS ON HER WAY OF MAKING A SEVENTH BABY THATS GHETTO!!!!! OR A 85 CHEVY CAPRICE WITH FRESH PAINT WITH DENTS A FIFTEEN INCH SCREEN HANGING IN THE MIDDLE WITH 26 INCH RIMS WITH BOLT ON SPINNER ADAPTERS AND THE MOTOR RUNS LIKE CRAP!!!!! THATS GHETTO NOT CUTTING SPRINGS ***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-10-2006, 04:31 AM
so1o2k3
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: atownboy

GHETTO? CHIP FOOSE IS GHETTO FOR CUTTING SPRINGS!!!! NO DUMBASS GHETTO IS A WOMAN WITH NO JOB AND 6 KIDS ON HER WAY OF MAKING A SEVENTH BABY THATS GHETTO!!!!! OR A 85 CHEVY CAPRICE WITH FRESH PAINT WITH DENTS A FIFTEEN INCH SCREEN HANGING IN THE MIDDLE WITH 26 INCH RIMS WITH BOLT ON SPINNER ADAPTERS AND THE MOTOR RUNS LIKE CRAP!!!!! THATS GHETTO NOT CUTTING SPRINGS ***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Once again, you need to chill, lose the caps, and stop with the name calling. People are entitled to their opinions.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:17 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GodAmGT00

The thing about cutting springs is, if they're NOT progressive rate springs, it's NOT going to matter whether you cut 1 coil, or half of them.. They spring rate STAYS THE SAME!!

Now, stock coil springs, that's different. They are PROGRESSIVE RATE, which means that as the spring compresses, the spring rate increases, thus giving more "performance," out of more compression..

The other problem w/ cutting springs though, is that you decrease tensile strength slightly. Since I don't really imagine many of you guys taking chicanes at over 100mph, I don't think that will really be too much of a problem..

JT
I think that's why Code mentioned cutting off the dead coil. It doesn't do anything.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:37 AM
tcuallstar
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Colorado_Mustang

ORIGINAL: GodAmGT00

JT
I think that's why Code mentioned cutting off the dead coil. It doesn't do anything.
I think thats why its called the dead one