4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 08:01 PM
FRunner
1st Gear Member

Default Suggestions?

Alright, I just bought my first Mustang(2000 GT). Basically I'm wondering where to start with my mods. The only thing I don't like about how she looks is the 4x4 look and the stock rims. So I was considering putting my first efforts into a good set of rims with new tires and lowering the beast. My other thought was to start off by opening up the exhaust system...cat-back, mid-pipe, headers and saying to hell with looks for now. Are either of these options good ones to start with or am I missing something else entirely. Also, I've been reading a lot about gears...maybe I should start off there? Anyways, any thoughts from some experienced stang owners would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:04 PM
andrewclark
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Suggestions?

congrats. what are you looking for? are you lookin for performance or looks? I would lower it and get gears. What wheels are on it now, the bullitts or cobras or what? If you get gears get 4.10's unless you are thinking about a supercharger in the NEAR future.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:13 PM
FRunner
1st Gear Member

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2396762

There is a picture of my car with stock rims. I want cobra 03/04 cobra rims. Performance is my main goal and I'm probably not going to put much into looks beyond the drop and rims(maybe tint). I'm not looking at a supercharger until I get out of college at least. Ya, I'm thinking that lowering is a priority...I can deal with the rims because they don't look TOO horrible. I've been reading that Eibach pro-springs are the way to go if I just want to lower it(which I do for now), but then again some people say they start to sag early. Hmm...I'm leaning towards gears, however. Maybe I can just throw a cat-back on for some nice sound, lower it about an 1 1/2, and then get gears?
Old 07-09-2006, 08:15 PM
jpmustanggt
5th Gear Member

I'd go with exhaust first, start with a catback, then get mid and headers at the same time.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:16 PM
andrewclark
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FRunner

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2396762

There is a picture of my car with stock rims. I want cobra 03/04 cobra rims. Performance is my main goal and I'm probably not going to put much into looks beyond the drop and rims(maybe tint). I'm not looking at a supercharger until I get out of college at least. Ya, I'm thinking that lowering is a priority...I can deal with the rims because they don't look TOO horrible. I've been reading that Eibach pro-springs are the way to go if I just want to lower it(which I do for now), but then again some people say they start to sag early. Hmm...I'm leaning towards gears, however. Maybe I can just throw a cat-back on for some nice sound, lower it about an 1 1/2, and then get gears?
Those rims dont look bad. Performance wise it is all up to you, i have just heard from many many people that gears make a HUGE improvement, and you can actually feel it. Here is a suggestion for ya, i took my mufflers off and with that V8 it sounds really good, but if you have the money go for a full system. But IMO get gears. Good luck with whatever you do
Old 07-09-2006, 11:37 PM
FRunner
1st Gear Member

Well it seems that I will probably get gears, a drop, and some sort of cat-back system(I'm looking at either stingers or lm2s right now) and then get a midpipe and headers at the same time. Whenever I need to get new tires I will probably just get new rims while I'm at it. Thanks everyone!
Old 07-09-2006, 11:43 PM
rjgstang
3rd Gear Member

i have 3.73's and i love them over stock gears its a huge difference, but if i had to do it over i would go with 4.10!! i dont drive mine every day either
Old 07-10-2006, 01:31 AM
beastzilla02
5th Gear Member

how do u take off the mufflers ?
Old 07-10-2006, 01:44 AM
MustangMan00
5th Gear Member

just dissconnect the bolts from the h pipe to the catback....i did it when i first got my car.....and i liked the way it sounded...but lookin back on it now....way too loud cuz it comes out right underneath you..and it kinda sounds like a truck not a muscle car.....go just hold off and buy a catback/exhaust IMO
Old 07-10-2006, 03:11 AM
wes ley n the G T
3rd Gear Member

*cough* air mods*cough* i.e exhaust and intake mods. Really depends on how much money you have to start off with.

Quick Reply: Suggestions?