4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

96 OR 98

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 06:39 AM
TX02GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 96 OR 98

Whatever you do, do not rush it. If you have any ill feelings or even one second guess in your head, walk away and go to the next one. If you rush, you are going to make a bad decision and it will end up costing you in the end. The right car and price are out there. Just be patient.
ORIGINAL: FordStang5.0

yeah i hear all of you but the 98 is so bad *** looking but he let me drive it and i can hear something clicking and when going over bumps u can hear a squiking nosie which id say is the suspension but it shift fine but i dont want to have to buy a 5k car and knowing the motor is going on it and then dropping another couple g's into for another motor when i could find a cobra or get the 96 and supercharge it so i think my decision is made im either getting the 96 or look for a cobra in my range and if anyone knows anyone selling a cobra in the 5-6k range let me know and if it is in the west/southwest it would be nice.

thanks
Old 07-13-2006, 12:06 PM
bsteen81
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FordStang5.0

yeah i hear all of you but the 98 is so bad *** looking but he let me drive it and i can hear something clicking and when going over bumps u can hear a squiking nosie which id say is the suspension but it shift fine but i dont want to have to buy a 5k car and knowing the motor is going on it and then dropping another couple g's into for another motor when i could find a cobra or get the 96 and supercharge it so i think my decision is made im either getting the 96 or look for a cobra in my range and if anyone knows anyone selling a cobra in the 5-6k range let me know and if it is in the west/southwest it would be nice.

thanks
Your not gonna find a cobra for that price without having A LOT OF MILES on it. Just check around on ebay to get an idea of what you should be looking for in your price range, or autotrader.com as well. Why dont you look into a '94 or '95, they have the body you want with the 5.0 in it.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:21 PM
travisl1213
4th Gear Member

if the 98 has that many miles, then the clutch has to have been replaced. i have never seen one last that long, if it has lasted then it is getting really weak and i would make them replace it before i bought the car. drive the car to a trustworthy shop and have them look it over end to end and run a car fax. all this will prob cost u an extra 50 bucks but its worth knowing what ur getting urself into. if the shop says it looks good then go for it. if the shop says part X, X, and X are about to have problems let the dealership or owner of the car know and tell them to fix it, if they do them buy it.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:23 PM
Twister
5th Gear Member

personally, niether, but the 96 at least has more exhaust options, the 98 exhaust is one year only
Old 07-13-2006, 02:26 PM
jelam
2nd Gear Member

Let me make that mistake for you almost $10000 for a 98 GT with 89k on the odometor (odometor doesn't work) and that was only seven months ago. If I would have looked around then I would have me a 96-98 Cobra.

ORIGINAL: TX02GT

Whatever you do, do not rush it. If you have any ill feelings or even one second guess in your head, walk away and go to the next one. If you rush, you are going to make a bad decision and it will end up costing you in the end. The right car and price are out there. Just be patient.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:44 PM
FordStang5.0
1st Gear Member

yeah i know that cobra thing would be a near impossible find id have to spend 7and up but this 96 has been owened by two female owners and the owner right now had it for the past 6 yrs and only drove it in the summer and garaged it in the winter and is in really good shape from the pics it is bone stock except for the h pipe on it and has fresh tires and the stang has only 80,000 miles on it so it has been babied. so im locked on that 96 but im going to keep looking around cause so far i havent found a better deal than this 96 so thats why i think i might buy it. also the reason for her selling is that she bought a brand new 350z and do u think 5k is a good buy on my half from what ive told you guys about the car cause i do