4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

To people who really know stuff about there car...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 01:11 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default RE: To people who really know stuff about there car...

Well as to the original post I'll give as brief a story as I can bout how I got into cars

From the moment I could remember, I had toy cars... and loved them... I even put my own straw custom exhausts on them [8D]

Then whenever my dad would fix something on the family car(s) I would at least be there watching him handing him tools. Then I got my first go kart... little piece of **** but I took it from nothing to a tire burning machine... sold that for an off road kart... then sold that to get my first truck. It only had front brakes, 1/2 a gas tank, and a buncha other crap wrong with it... so I HAD to fix it before it would drive. So I did. Then I sold that and fixed up my ford explorer (anything and everything) and gave that to my aunt and now am struggling to pay for my stang [:@]

Right around the time I got my explorer I started going to "Technology Center of DuPage" which is an extension of the community college here, that offers college level vocational classes while in high school, so I took those classes my Junior and Senior years. After that I went to College of DuPage through one year of automotive and gen-ed classes. That leaves me where I am right now, on summer break ready to go back this fall. I am going for my associate's degree in applied sciences; major = auto service technology. I'm not stopping going to school until I have my bachelor's degree.

I've worked at a few places, starting with sears hardware... then a string of automotive shops that went south not too long after I started... and now I'm a shuttle driver at the ford dealer in my town. I hope when I'm done with school I can become an apprentice technician and move my way up.

George
Old 07-13-2006, 01:17 PM
ASUSMC
4th Gear Member

My dad helped me a lot. I don't live there anymore but will not work on my car unless I am at his house. Just a wierd feeling I get if I am somewhere else. I also worked at a Toyota dealership and am still friends with a lot of the techs there. My former neighbor is also the parts guy there so I get OEM parts cheap.

Also had to rebuild my first car... 91 Baby blue Mercury Sable Wagon[:'(]. Ran like hell but it ran. Will do most stuff but Transmissions I don't like to touch, way too much can go wrong way to quickly.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:28 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I used to take things apart when I was a kid too. Any electronic devices I had would be taken apart with a few months. Granted I would never get them put back all the way to working 100% but hey, that's why my parents bought me the cheap version. They knew I would take it apart after a while.

My favorite were the battery powered 'Stomper Trucks'

http://www.stomper4x4.com/Images/g1greensr5.jpg

I used to take gears and parts from the faster ones and put them in the slower models so when I raced them at lunch time in grade school I would skunk the kids that thought I had a slow model.