4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

broke intake manifold :(

Old 07-14-2006, 01:53 PM
dothack
2nd Gear Member

Default broke intake manifold :(

hey, whats up guys, long time no seen..well.. since you never know what u get when u buy a used car, i know what happen to mind. it seems it already had a small crack next to the thermorstat housing..and reving the engine to 5000 RPMs was the limit and broke the whole thing. i already order a new one from ebay..where water flows is pure aluminum so i imagine it improves on the OEM design. anyways, going to install it today. since im going to take the whole intake apart, anything i can adjust or clean to improve performance?? thanks guys..ill tell ya how it goes, hopefully it should fix the prob, here is the intake:

Old 07-14-2006, 01:55 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: broke intake manifold :(

What year stang do you have and is it/was it the one with the plastic near the thermostat housing? Ford settled on those and now (I dont' remember all the details) has offered to reimburse most people that have had to replace a cracked intake. Do a search on google or on this forum for SN95 Intake or SN95 Manifold
Old 07-14-2006, 01:57 PM
dothack
2nd Gear Member

... damn, didnt know that. its a 96 GT..so i dont think Ford still offers that deal..however ill google that stuff and probably check on the dealership..thanks
Old 07-14-2006, 01:58 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

the recall is ended. It ended last year I think, so when mine cracks im SOL... hopefully i will get my new engine before it cracks so i dont' have to drop money in an engine i'm not keeping

there isn't much you can do, but just wipe down every port as clean as you can and just clean everything you can while you are in there.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:17 PM
Blck98GT
I ♥ Acer

yeah.. recall is over.. Mine cracked just in time.. I put my new one on myself but i took my reciept up to ford with the car they took a look at it and sent me a check in the mail.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:56 PM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dothack

hey, whats up guys, long time no seen..well.. since you never know what u get when u buy a used car, i know what happen to mind. it seems it already had a small crack next to the thermorstat housing..and reving the engine to 5000 RPMs was the limit and broke the whole thing. i already order a new one from ebay..where water flows is pure aluminum so i imagine it improves on the OEM design. anyways, going to install it today. since im going to take the whole intake apart, anything i can adjust or clean to improve performance?? thanks guys..ill tell ya how it goes, hopefully it should fix the prob, here is the intake:

get a can of carb cleaner and clean the **** out of the intake runners, itll make a huge difference believe me.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:51 PM
dothack
2nd Gear Member

cool, thanks bro. i did that stuff. however i when i started the engine it was badly stalling and ****ing it was making a bad noise like something inside of it was ****ed up. the only thing i can think of is something felt inside but cant be. as soon as i remove the old one. i cover the air openings also i never took the spark plugs nor the cables. i took everything out again and check and nothing..nothing inside. im going to call a few friends tomorrow to help me out. ****, any ideas? i mean, i know it was going to be stalling cause of no gas or something in the injectors but a huge noise inside the engine..well..going to see whats going on tomorrow
Old 07-14-2006, 10:59 PM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

Can the stock 02 intake fit on pre 99 models? I have the stock one just sitting in my garage if anyone is interested...