4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Torque Converters

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 01:16 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

Default Torque Converters

I have an automatic 03' GT and I have heard many people say that torque converters really help at the track. How do torque converters affect daily driving? What stall would be good for a daily driver with occasional track time? What kind of performance gains am I looking at? Any help, especially if you own one, would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:23 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Torque Converters

Unfortunately, my stall isn't installed, but I'd have to say that putting one on a Daily Driver isn't usually the best idea... If you enjoy whatever gas mileage you get now, getting a Stall Converter is going to roast it...

Think of it like this, say conservatively, you get a 2600 RPM stall, that means, everytime you're at a light, you'd be taking off using the Stall Speed to get going...

Sure, I'm crazy enough to do it, but I've thought about it..

JT
Old 07-15-2006, 01:25 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

So the car doesn't get going until the stall rpm... that would definitely suck for a daily driver...
Old 07-15-2006, 01:28 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Well, it starts kicking in before the actual Stall Speed. I believe the Stall Speed is when the actual engagement point is, similar to a clutch coming off of the floor and the Pressure Plate engaging the disc..

JT
Old 07-15-2006, 01:29 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

Oh, okay. Thanks. Basically what I'm trying to do is compensate for the car being an auto.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:36 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Well, that'll do it..

JT
Old 07-15-2006, 01:40 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

Yeah, but it's my daily driver so I guess I'll stay away from torque converters...
Old 07-15-2006, 03:00 PM
DILO2001GT
I ♥ Acer

well theres lock up converters and non lock up converters. if you get a non lock up gas mileage would barely suffer. just look what your getting into before you make that decision. im getting a 4k stall from PI and its a non lock up so gas mileage won't suffer too much because it won't stay locked up at 4 grand.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:25 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

Can you explain that a little more Dilo... I'm kind of lost? What kind of performance do these give? How much are they?
Old 07-15-2006, 08:26 PM
danyz
2nd Gear Member

I have a 3000 stall speed converter from fuddle in my Z, and it is my main transportation.
It was a HUGE boost to my cr's performance, w/o any negative effect to it's drivability.
A lot of people think that from a stop you have to bring the rpm's up to the rated stall to get the car moving, but this is not true.
If my car is at idle, and the gear shift is in D, the car will creep ahead, just like when stock.
The only real difference in normal driving is that before the stall the car felt "crisper" when pulling away from a stop. I mean as soon as i hit the gas I was moving with traffic.
Now with the stall, I have to give it another 3 to 400 rpm's to do the same over stock.
Please believe me when I sy that you get used to it in a couple of day's.
performance increase?
When stock, with my 2.73 gears I could nearly go wot from a stop w/hardly any wheelspin.
After the stall I actually had to relearn how to launch my car.
I'm serious. If I nailed the gas from a stop I wouldn't be able to beat a kid on mountain bike.
I could only give the car about 1/2 throttle, and then push it to the floor as it got rolling.
It made a night/ day improvement to my car.
I now have a set of Nitto DR's to better utilize the stall, but even on street tire's it made a BIG difference.
Most people will say that a stall will be the single best performance mod you can make to an auto equipped car. Do the stall my friend.
You will not regret it!

Quick Reply: Torque Converters