4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Cams & there differences

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 04:20 PM
Sebski
2nd Gear Member

Default Cams & there differences

I've seen alot of posts about different stage cams... could anyone fill me in on what each stage is like good for, how it sounds, i have no idea of cams on the whole. thanks
Old 07-16-2006, 04:45 PM
dsg04gt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Cams & there differences

Alrighty, there are multiple companies that make cams for our cars. VT is one of them, and they use different "Stages" to list the differences between their cams. Stage 1 cams make their power in your stock powerband, so they are ideal if your not going to forge out your motor. Stage 1s do not require new valve springs. Stage 2's and Stage 3's make most of their power higher than 6k RPM, the limit of your stock shortblock. You definately will need new valve springs with either of those two choices. In order to take advantage of everything the Stage 2s and 3s are capable of, you need to forge your bottom end so it can handle being revved alot higher than 6000 RPMs. Hope that helps.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:10 PM
andrewclark
4th Gear Member

dont mustang GT's redline around 6,000rpm? would u have to set the redline higher if you got the stage 2 or 3 cams?
Old 07-16-2006, 05:39 PM
dsg04gt
3rd Gear Member

Yes, GT's redline at around 6000.. if you were to remove/change the rev limiter, and tried to shift at about 7000 rpms with stock internals and stage 2 or 3s, you could MAYBE do it once without your engine going *POOF*. Thats why you need forged internals.. they can withstand being revved to very high RPMs.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:43 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

my rev limiter is at 6500rpms.... no problems so far and its been like this for 8 months.

i have heard that stiffer valve springs on a supercharged car will give more hp cause it will give more of a seal and leak less out. is this true?
Old 07-16-2006, 05:50 PM
Sebski
2nd Gear Member

whats the difference with VT's stage 2 N/A and Blower cams, i mean its sounds obvious but like what is the actual difference? could blower cams be used on a N/A car? Would it be reccomendable to get stage 1 cams now and then several years down the road when basically rebuild the enitre engine switch to say stage 2?
Old 07-16-2006, 06:01 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sebski

whats the difference with VT's stage 2 N/A and Blower cams, i mean its sounds obvious but like what is the actual difference? could blower cams be used on a N/A car? Would it be reccomendable to get stage 1 cams now and then several years down the road when basically rebuild the enitre engine switch to say stage 2?
the blower cams hold the boost better, the n/a cams can counter the boost and make it harder to build. you can run blower cams on a n/a car according to what a VT tech told me...
Old 07-16-2006, 06:05 PM
dsg04gt
3rd Gear Member

Dont know the answer to your question Racer, but i have a new problem with my exhaust lol.. I dropped the whole h pipe and put in the new stud, and a new gasket, bolted it all back in. The second i turn it on it seemed half as loud as it used too.. the sound coming out of the tailpipes.. People told me the leak could have made the overall noise louder...now its to quiet for me. And i dont know about this next thing, but when i turn on my car, while its warming up, if i open my door and blip it to 1200 RPMs, i hear this wierd sound.. almost like its coming from the muffler..Sounds like the exhaust gas is going, then it suddenly gets blocked or something.. ill try to get a vid of it. Sorry to kinda jack your thread.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:12 PM
Sebski
2nd Gear Member

Guesstimating how much rwhp can be seen with Stage 1 cams?
Old 07-16-2006, 06:19 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

With your mods, Sebski, you could see 30+ n/a.

You don't list a mid pipe. Do you have the stock piece on?

Quick Reply: Cams & there differences