4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

X PIPE WITH CATS! IS IT WORTH IT?

Old 07-25-2006, 09:43 PM
DROES99STANG
2nd Gear Member

Default X PIPE WITH CATS! IS IT WORTH IT?

I have a 99 mustang gt 4.6 SOHC. I wanted to get off road X Pipes but I have stupid E-Check to deal with. I was going to purchase it anyways but to swap it out on E-Check day I don't know if the off road is worth it because I would have to pay $96 to each time I swap them which means I will be paying a little over $200 after tax every 2 years when stupid E-Check comes Around. I HATE E-CHECK. So i was wondering If I bought the X Pipe with cats is it worth it? I have flowmaster american thunder system right now so would the catted X pipe make it louder and would i get any more HP out of it? The only thing i have done to my car is the American Thunder Flowmaster system, a BBK cold air intake and throttle body spacer. So with just these parts installed will the X Pipe w/cats help at all or is my car already breathing good enough since there is nothing bored over? If you have any other suggestions let me know. Thanks
Old 07-25-2006, 09:48 PM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

Default RE: X PIPE WITH CATS! IS IT WORTH IT?

There are several X-pipes that have removable cats. This means that you can put the straight tubes in their place when e-check comes around, and then swap them back out. Its a matter of 2 clamps per side so I wouldn't pay $96 for the swap. I had swapable ones but I eventually just decided to weld the cats on because the power difference was inconsequential to me. It didn't actually FEEL any faster without cats (just dynoed slightly better) and I didn't mind the sound difference.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:53 PM
YouGiveMeRash!!!
2nd Gear Member

Listen to my setup.

In sig.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:54 PM
DROES99STANG
2nd Gear Member

did you have an aftermarket exhaust before you installed the X pipe? because i am trying to figure out wether I am going to get more sound and hp because with the flowmasters it sounds good but i want it to be louder. And thanks a lot for helping me out fallstar you have been helpful
Old 07-25-2006, 09:58 PM
DROES99STANG
2nd Gear Member

your car sounds mean what else do you have done to it?
Old 07-25-2006, 09:59 PM
DROES99STANG
2nd Gear Member

what is the air silencer? is that the thing in the air flow box? (factory intake)
Old 07-25-2006, 10:03 PM
YouGiveMeRash!!!
2nd Gear Member

Well I bought the car like this, but I have a friend that has almost an identical setup but without long tubes. He first got flowmasters and had them for a little while and it wasn't nearly as loud until he got an x-pipe.

That's pretty much all that's been done to it that I know of. I'm taking it to a shop tomorrow to find out everything that has been done to it. I suspect the clutch has been changed to an aftermarket, and the gears have been changed probably as well.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:05 PM
YouGiveMeRash!!!
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DROES99STANG

what is the air silencer? is that the thing in the air flow box? (factory intake)
Yeah, the rubber tube thing that goes into the fender. I just took that off and dropped in a K&N filter.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:11 PM
DROES99STANG
2nd Gear Member

ok gotcha, i already have an aftermarket intake, but that stang probly has a shift kit in it. does your friends x pipe have cats?
Old 07-25-2006, 10:18 PM
bsteen81
3rd Gear Member

cats = a little less hp but more torque.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: X PIPE WITH CATS! IS IT WORTH IT?