4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Mustang GT Overheating (long)

Old 07-30-2006, 06:56 PM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

Default Mustang GT Overheating (long)

My Mustang started overheating about two weeks ago. It has overheated on me four times now. Each time it has been very hot outside, and I've been in stop and go traffic. At first it was the first time I ran the A/C this year, but it happened last night on Lake Shore Drive in traffic without the A/C on. The car temperature drops when I'm moving on the expressway or on the road not stopped at a light, but once the car is stopped it doesn't take long for the temperature to rise.

I have checked the coolant for air bubbles several times, and even replaced the thermostat with a fail-safe thermostat. I have been reading that my pressure cap may be falty, and was wondering if anybody with a highly modified Mustang can offer some insite. Could my pressure cap need replacing with a better one now that my car has all this work done to it? Also, can someone send me a pic of the thermostat proper installation position. I put the one I have in the way I took out the original, but I am wondering if the shop may have put it in backwards in the first place.

Lastly, Sutton HP who tuned my car is saying that I need to get an electric water pump. I ordered one on Friday that is supposed to keep my car 30% cooler, and is guaranteed for 50,000 miles. I've had my GT since August 02 and have 12,780 miles on it, so the miles don't worry me. I just don't know if the $360 pump is the solution to my problem. I ordered it just in case, but I am curious to know if my pressure cap may be a problem, or if my thermostat may be. Some feed back and advice please.

~Gixxer
Old 07-30-2006, 07:16 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang GT Overheating (long)

A cap that does not seal properly or is letting lose before the proper PSI is reached can cause overheating. But based on you saying the car does fine once you get up to Hwy Speeds leads me to belive that the Fan is not working properly so i would check that out.

As for the thermostat usually they go with the long end down. Also after you swapped the thermostat did you let the car run with the radiator cap of and get to proper operating temps to allow the system to burp?

Richard
Old 07-30-2006, 07:20 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

When you up the HP you up the heat....if the fan checks out in working order try setting it to turn on earlier in the tune. Also a 2 core radiator isn't a bad idea as well as some redline water wetter additive.
oh you signed your name as gixxer....how cute [8D]
Old 07-31-2006, 12:28 AM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06GT4RAD

A cap that does not seal properly or is letting lose before the proper PSI is reached can cause overheating. But based on you saying the car does fine once you get up to Hwy Speeds leads me to belive that the Fan is not working properly so i would check that out.

As for the thermostat usually they go with the long end down. Also after you swapped the thermostat did you let the car run with the radiator cap of and get to proper operating temps to allow the system to burp?

Richard
I am going to have to look into this fan. the thermostat is in correctly, and I did let the car run to get the burps out.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:32 AM
02StanGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06GT4RAD

Richard

I would have to agree with him. It sounds like your fan might be the culprit.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:35 AM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: droptoppony

When you up the HP you up the heat....if the fan checks out in working order try setting it to turn on earlier in the tune. Also a 2 core radiator isn't a bad idea as well as some redline water wetter additive.
oh you signed your name as gixxer....how cute [8D]
I have redline additive already, but don't have a two core radiator. How much does a 2 core radiator run?
Old 07-31-2006, 05:54 AM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 02StanGT
I would have to agree with him. It sounds like your fan might be the culprit.
Yea, I am going to get it to Sutton very soon and see if they can't look at my car's fan. Sigh...the faster you make your car, the bigger the can of worms you are taking a chance of opening.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:57 AM
02StanGT
4th Gear Member

True dat
Old 07-31-2006, 08:21 AM
myk
2nd Gear Member

Maybe your cooling system needs to get flushed? Are you using any of that extended-life coolant? That stuff is poison to any cooling system. Debris/crap in your cooling system would also cause overheating issues...
Old 07-31-2006, 02:15 PM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: myk

Maybe your cooling system needs to get flushed? Are you using any of that extended-life coolant? That stuff is poison to any cooling system. Debris/crap in your cooling system would also cause overheating issues...
Now, just to regular stuff. I'm using PEAK.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mustang GT Overheating (long)