4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

3 inch or 2.5 inch exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 02:13 AM
joshafmil
4th Gear Member

Default 3 inch or 2.5 inch exhaust?

anyone know what the real difference is between these to. ive heard the 3 inch has a deeper sound... but im still unsure.

to add if they are good... anyone know where u can get a nice full exhaust system for a 03gt that is 3inch?
Old 08-12-2006, 02:25 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 3 inch or 2.5 inch exhaust?

what do you mean? catback or complete?

I honestly wouldn't reccomend doing it complete 3". If you do, you will probably lose horsepower because the place where 3" exhaust shines is high horsepower N/A and nitrous/supercharger applications.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:29 AM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

if your not making 500+ hp then you don't need 3 inch exhaust
Old 08-12-2006, 02:51 AM
Albizo66
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: monkeydude3

what do you mean? catback or complete?

I honestly wouldn't reccomend doing it complete 3". If you do, you will probably lose horsepower because the place where 3" exhaust shines is high horsepower N/A and nitrous/supercharger applications.
false george. he will gain horsepwoer, just liek with any other after market, larger diameter exhaust, but it will be even higher in the RPM band, and the low end torque will suffer a decent amount
Old 08-12-2006, 03:00 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

If you go over 2.5 on a NA car you will hurt your horsepower because the flow will slow down. With over 500hp forced induction cars you can go to 3".
Old 08-12-2006, 03:19 AM
Black98GT
1st Gear Member

The reason it may seem like you go slower with 3" exhaust compared to 2-1/2" is because you will lose back pressure, something the motor depends on. When I put headers on my old car a 65 El Camino 327 I didn't have exhaust and had to run it to a shop about 50 or so miles away for a complete exhaust system. I thought about 3" for that 327 but a speed shop mechanic told me that with a motor displacing even 327c.i. it wouldn't be wise to do so because the power you gain will be way up in the rpms. 2-1/4" is what they suggested for my little 327 so I would venture to say that even 2-1/2" is good enough for our 281c.i.'s. Backpressure will give you better low end torque and your hp increases will still be within your powerband. So if your plans are like everyone else said, to s/c or put a shot of juice on it then 2-1/2" should be all you need...plus i could see with 3" a decrease in mpg...Instead of 2-1/2 you could consider 2-1/4"

Could be wrong but my .02
Old 08-12-2006, 03:31 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Sorry Black98GT but you are alittle off. You do not need back pressure.

Most of the time bigger is better, but that's not always the case with exhaust. Today's late model cars are designed with several restrictions on the manufacturers. So in order to perform but still stay within the limits of emissions and other regulations, the exhaust is usually the first thing to suffer from the factory. The easy power that is found in changing the original equipment exhaust system, is just one of the many reasons there are so many aftermarket manufacturers capitalizing on this insufficiency. But just opening the exhaust doesn't always make more power, it takes the correct combination of flow capability and velocity. That's why performance exhaust manufacturers spend so much time in search of just the right combination, so that they can ensure peak power to their customers.

In this article we will discuss the effects that exhaust backpressure has on your engine. Backpressure is the restriction of the exhaust gases that are produced by your engine while they are being released through your exhaust system. Exhaust gasses are the burned and unburned gasses that are released out of the exhaust system after engine combustion happens.

The exhaust system should have minimal restriction to the exhaust flow that is being released in order to create the most amount of power from the engine. With restriction present, backpressure is developed, making the engine work much harder to release the exhaust out of the engine cylinders.

The standard for exhaust diameter is to not run too large of exhaust, for the engine needs a certain amount of backpressure. This is correct in the sense of one should not run too large of diameter exhaust tubing, but the statement of the engine needing backpressure is not. You need to have the least amount of backpressure possible to produce maximum power. Too large of diameter exhaust will cause a power loss and loss of low end torque because a larger pipe has less exhaust stream velocity than a smaller pipe. If the exhaust pipe is too large, then the exhaust flow will be slowed with less velocity. There are exceptions, forced induction or high-volume race engines require a larger diameter exhaust due to the flow characteristics of the engine. Supercharged and turbocharged vehicles can have an exhaust gas volume of 1 to 2 times more than an equivalent displacement naturally aspirated engine. In this case, one is able to use a larger diameter of exhaust for greater performance.

This was taken from https://mustangforums.com/m_1789889/tm.htm
This has been a big argument for along time and I'm glad this guy posted it cause I could never find hard evidence before.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:37 AM
Black98GT
1st Gear Member

Ya what he said [sm=insomnia.gif]
Old 08-12-2006, 03:42 AM
snowborderz
1st Gear Member

2 and a half is plenty fine, i went with magnaflow magnapacks and love the sound
Old 08-12-2006, 03:48 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

Sorry Black98GT but you are alittle off. You do not need back pressure.

Most of the time bigger is better, but that's not always the case with exhaust. Today's late model cars are designed with several restrictions on the manufacturers. So in order to perform but still stay within the limits of emissions and other regulations, the exhaust is usually the first thing to suffer from the factory. The easy power that is found in changing the original equipment exhaust system, is just one of the many reasons there are so many aftermarket manufacturers capitalizing on this insufficiency. But just opening the exhaust doesn't always make more power, it takes the correct combination of flow capability and velocity. That's why performance exhaust manufacturers spend so much time in search of just the right combination, so that they can ensure peak power to their customers.

In this article we will discuss the effects that exhaust backpressure has on your engine. Backpressure is the restriction of the exhaust gases that are produced by your engine while they are being released through your exhaust system. Exhaust gasses are the burned and unburned gasses that are released out of the exhaust system after engine combustion happens.

The exhaust system should have minimal restriction to the exhaust flow that is being released in order to create the most amount of power from the engine. With restriction present, backpressure is developed, making the engine work much harder to release the exhaust out of the engine cylinders.

The standard for exhaust diameter is to not run too large of exhaust, for the engine needs a certain amount of backpressure. This is correct in the sense of one should not run too large of diameter exhaust tubing, but the statement of the engine needing backpressure is not. You need to have the least amount of backpressure possible to produce maximum power. Too large of diameter exhaust will cause a power loss and loss of low end torque because a larger pipe has less exhaust stream velocity than a smaller pipe. If the exhaust pipe is too large, then the exhaust flow will be slowed with less velocity. There are exceptions, forced induction or high-volume race engines require a larger diameter exhaust due to the flow characteristics of the engine. Supercharged and turbocharged vehicles can have an exhaust gas volume of 1 to 2 times more than an equivalent displacement naturally aspirated engine. In this case, one is able to use a larger diameter of exhaust for greater performance.

This was taken from https://mustangforums.com/m_1789889/tm.htm
This has been a big argument for along time and I'm glad this guy posted it cause I could never find hard evidence before.
yea, i now what you mean.... we have a 69 super bee with a 383BB and a cam, heads, intakemanifold, and alot of other stuff... we run 2.5 inch exhuast on it to keep the backpressure...

Quick Reply: 3 inch or 2.5 inch exhaust?