4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

If you had 13K, what stang would you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 05:14 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

Default RE: If you had 13K, what stang would you buy?

Why pay for a new car when i can get the same thing for half the price and not have any payments. I dont buy new cars because i am not going to be the sucker that pays for the resale drop as soon as it is driven off of the lot. Not to mention you only get 0% if you meet their credit requirements, which most people dont. When you finance you are buying a car on their terms. When you have cash in hand you have the power.
Actually with the internet and competition as great as it is, you can buy a new car on YOUR terms because they are all dying to get rid of them: Especially with the '05 model due out soon. A dealership makes considerably more money on a used car...why do you think everyone tries to sell them privately?..ever seen what they offer you for a trade?

Everyone who qualifies for a loan will qualify for the 0% financing if it is offered - OAC means On Approved Credit. All you have to do is qualify for a loan and you get the deal...or get a co-signer.

Also - you may have payments with a new car but you also get a 3 year/60,000 km (or whatever that is in miles) warranty.

They don't actually depreciate all that much when you drive them off the lot...go price some low mile 2003 or 2004 used machines. You won't save much.

That being said, $13,000 is alot of money. Maybe you are better off to buy something outright, like you mentioned, and not have any payments. That's a pretty good feeling....it's all mine! Unless, of course, you can't get what you want used...like the power of the 99+ GT's.

Just DO NOT borrow money at 10% interest...that's an insane amount and you may as well buy a new car because you will pay back MUCH MUCH more. If you want to know what the payments will be, I will do the math with you.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:46 PM
merfsiu

ORIGINAL: GSXRIntensity
Trying to offer you some SMART advice, & you shoot me an attitude...[&:]
Just being straight with ya, and the ford dealer comment was just a little friendly sarcasm. Maybe i should be more proficent with emoticons.

Basically i have seen some low milage 99+ Gts for around ten grand and its not worth another 13 grand to me, to have basically the same car and the comfort of knowing that only i have driven it. If i wanted a new 05 i would go new but id rather own it outright. About the warranty, I am the type of guy that does all my own work. I have been a mechanic and have seen the type of crap that dealerships/shops have tried to pull. Not saying that they are all like that but i dont trust them.

Anyway.. I wont be buying from a dealership, most likely private seller, or ebay. So the 96-98 gt is ruled out. i basically have to choose between a 99+ GT or 96-98 cobra or if i can find a good deal on a 99 cobra that would be great too.

I'd like to find something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

or this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT
Old 06-22-2004, 05:51 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

You got it dude! Good luck and good hunting
Old 06-22-2004, 07:35 PM
SCARFACE
3rd Gear Member

you shouldn't ask for opinions since you already have you mine setup to what you want, just buy what "you" want and try yo be happy with it
Old 06-22-2004, 07:40 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

96-98 cobra is the best bet
Old 06-22-2004, 11:02 PM
USAMuscle
4th Gear Member

I know you said it has to be '96 or newer, but if you want something that will hold it's value well, and actually start escalating in value before long, maybe you should think about looking for a '93 Cobra. They are pretty rare, and you should be able to find one for about $13k. It doesn't have as much power stock as a '99+ GT, but it's lighter, IMO looks a lot better, and is a very valuable car. Just some food for thought. Otherwise I would definitely take the other guys' advice and NOT finance a car when you have the money in hand to pay cash for a car equally as good. New cars are a rip off. Save yourself a few grand and spend it on mods, or take your woman out to a nice dinner.

How about a '93 cobra with 26k miles...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...482563324&rd=1
Old 06-23-2004, 12:27 AM
01GTvertible
3rd Gear Member

well, if you have to have a problem, this is a good one to have. just like everyone else, imma give you my two cents. just my opinion, definately see if you can get a steal on a 99 cobra first, but good luck with that. unless you arent afraid of a payment, i dont see that happening. and i know that i may catch some grief, but i say forget the 96-98 cobra and go with the new GT. my uncle has a 98 cobra, and i have an 01 GT and to be honest with you, its a closer race then you might think, and i dont have any mods done to mine. i know with a few bolt-ons i could hurt his feelings, and, once again, in my opinion, i think i look better. but, no matter what you chose, i dont think you will be disappointed. GOOD LUCK
Old 06-23-2004, 02:36 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: merfsiu

The choices are many and i am looking for opinions. Has to be 96 or newer. I like bolth 96-98, and 99+ body styles equally. I have seen low milage 96-98 gt for well under my limit. Have seen 99gt w/40K for around 10g on ebay. Have also seen 96-98 cobras with higher limage for under 13 also. I really like the idea of getting a cobra but am a little weary of high milage cars. Insurance isnt a factor. So what would you get and why?
Buy a 99 with super low miles for 10,000. Buy a procharger kit for 3500 dollars. Go fast.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:33 PM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

Sorry if I blew off my lid a little then. I can understand you p.o.v. too, so good luck w/your choices. I'd still stick w/99+ for the power increase, & typically lower mileage cars.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:40 AM
AirForce2004
2nd Gear Member

If I had 13k Id put that down on a brand new SVT cobra... Just my thoughts, Itll bust the price down that youd have to finance to about 23-25k

Quick Reply: If you had 13K, what stang would you buy?