4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need a mean sounding exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 08:19 PM
jlfrd96

Default Need a mean sounding exhaust

Hey guys..i currently have an or/x with 2 chamber flows but am tired of it..and everyone has them...i was looking to switch to the magnapacks and maybe an h pipe...does ne one have this setup or clips or any info about the system because i am looking to purchase something new in a few days....and will it be louder than my current setup....mustangexhaust just doesn't give me enough to make a decision..thanks alot.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:41 PM
04mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Need a mean sounding exhaust

i thnk magnapacks do sound better than flows and produce more power. but you will take a loss for power with the H pipe. but the sound will be louder with the off road h pipe.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:24 PM
USAMuscle
4th Gear Member

Switching to an H-pipe will cut your top end a little, but you'll get better torque response, and your exhuast note will sound deeper and beefier, more like a true muscle car sound. Before you dump your Flows, why don't you try just an H-pipe first, because that combo has an incredible sound. Or if you really want to get rid of your Flows, consider a MAC flowpath cat-back. They have a very deep ballsy sound, especially when paired with an H-pipe.
Old 06-25-2004, 11:59 PM
RJM02GTDrag
2nd Gear Member

I have the Mac cat back USA references, and the Mac pro chamber off road mid pipe, very deep muscle sound, in fact many dont believe me that it is a 4.6 281 CU motor making all that rumble, one guy at the strip swears I switched it out for a 351, wish he was right, would be sweet1
Old 06-26-2004, 02:41 AM
USAMuscle
4th Gear Member

Yeah the first time I heard a MAC exhaust on an '02 GT I was like "dude there's no way that's a 4.6 under his hood." It sounds so deep and ballsy it really does sound like a nasty 351. It's loud!
Old 06-26-2004, 03:44 AM
Razor19
2nd Gear Member

I completely agree with the MAC. Go to www.03cobra.net and look under videos, one of the guys has an 02 GT with just MAC O/R H-pipe and catback and it sounds amazing. Magnaflows are to high pitched and raspy for my taste but like they said the MAC gives you a nice deep grumble like old muscle. The flows with an X I heard sound like ish. So if u want u can try just buying an O/R H-pipe and keep the flows I bet u it will sound way better.
Old 06-26-2004, 12:13 PM
04mustang
3rd Gear Member

ive heard mac sounds good but the quality is not the greatest. they wont last very long like stainless steal. but if you like that kinda sound and you wanna go for cheap mac is the way to go. i was very tempted to get mac but i wanted better quality. its up to you.
Old 06-26-2004, 12:43 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Magnaflows are too high pitched? Heh, sounds like you've never heard them on a car...
Old 06-26-2004, 01:21 PM
Mach1man
2nd Gear Member

I can tell you this much, the loudest exhaust this side of open headers, was on my car for about a week. It consisted of stock headers, Magnaflow O/R xpipe, and Borla Stinger catback!!! Like I said, the only thing I've ever heard that would be louder is open headers! After I installed the Borla, I cranked the car up, revved it, and promptly cracked a window in my living room! After about a week, I took the xpipe off, and put my stock catted H back on, car is much more livable now, but still has a ballsy, muscle car sound.
Old 06-26-2004, 06:08 PM
Razor19
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan02GT

Magnaflows are too high pitched? Heh, sounds like you've never heard them on a car...
Magnaflows with an X-pipe are high pitched compared to MAC with an H-pipe. Borla's do sound mean also. I ran into a guy a few weeks ok on the road with a pre 99+ GT and all he had was a borla catback on it and it sounded awesome.

Quick Reply: Need a mean sounding exhaust