4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Those speedy 4bangers

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 09:34 PM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Those speedy 4bangers

The choices we make at any point in time greatly effect everyone around us. In this world that we live in today, etiquette is so long forgotten and it becomes about our own selfish nature. There should be etiquette for those of us on the road that are driving safely to and from places. Etiquette to me and many, i believe, means to have consideration, awareness, and respect for others and yourself. It is amazing to me how unaware people become of others as soon as they find some sort of bliss. Think about it. you find a significant other and you begin to lose touch with friends. You get caught up in a simple game of poker and end up losing lots. You enjoy cracking the whip on your car and who knows the outcome. But if everyone could begin to live with a little more thought for others, it could be a lot easier to leave these topics behind, in theory and in reality. I admit that i drive like an idiot once in a while, but it is still wrong. Racing at night starts to minimize the possibility of something terrible happening to somone else, but NEVER eliminates it. Etiquette. That's what i call it. Have some, it goes a long way, in everything you do.

As for upgrading to keep up with, cheap and quick methods to run with them would be n20, but if i was going to drop cash on it, i would def do gears, head and cam swap, and exhaust. AND weight reduction. I would love to supercharge, but oh so much $$$$.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:36 PM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

by the way, sometimes getting caught up in things is a good thing, but lots of times it isn't! I don't want you all to think i am saying EVERYTHING is black and white.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:08 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

You don't need much to stay with those lil 4 bangers... I hope you realize racing in 5th gear, isn't great for your already crappy Tranny... in my GT i never raced out of 4th gear (had a good friend with a 01' V6 that use to race in 5th gear a lot and his 5th gear had be grinding for around 6 months before he wrecked)... once you get into overdrive (5th gear) the race is really over imo... then it's just speeding. You do want to watch out though going that fast, not because of cops and whatever.. but your tires... if you're going that fast on tires not rated for it, when (not if, but when) they blow, whoever is in the car will be killed. Nobody will survive that. Not in a car that's not certified by Nascar atleast, lol or F1. Don't realize how fast you're going when you're doing 130+mph, you don't have any reaction time going that fast. That's just for your safety.

As far as cops go, I don't know how it is near you, but in Fla if you get caught racing, doing dbl the speed limit, or 100+mph, you can go to jail and/or get your license suspended 1yr, no questions asked.

Racing is stupid enough, even though I do it. You can only be as safe as possible. If you're going to do it, make sure that you're car is able to go at those speeds (ie: suspension, tires, etc). Last thing you want to do is wreck into the other car, or other innocent drivers.

Finally getting back to your question: - you get 3.73 or lower gears like 3.90 or 4.10's... and get full bolt ons (including PI Swap)to stay with those STi's (they're a lot harder to beat from a dig then roll)... gears + pi swap = faster then srt4... gotta remember you're starting way back there because of the non-pi engine - good luck, and be safe.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:18 PM
SHO NO MERCY
4th Gear Member

just throwing in a story...not taking sides seeming how i as well sometimes dont drive responsibly. 2 kids from Ada, OK we're coming down I-40 from Oklahoma City and were racing a black mustang gt. They were in a conv. 95' Gt or so. The conv. lost control and ran across the median and collided head on with an Expedition. I'm pretty sure the drive of the Expedition ended up dieing later from injuries. As for the stang, it looked like a ball of metal. Both kids we're ejected from conv. Gt. One lived...somehow and the other was dead on arrival. Working as a firefighter you see some stuff that changes your way of thinking. Just proves life is fragile. Just be careful when you're on the roads racing out there. No one deserves to be killed from someone else's ignorance.

Sorry for the off topic post. Just thought I would share the story. Never know what could influence peeps