4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2002gt tired of getting smoked by z28's!!!!

Old 07-16-2004, 04:55 AM
IntruderLS1
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 2002gt tired of getting smoked by z28's!!!!

ORIGINAL: Dan02GT
A baffled setup compared to a straight thru setup on a horribly designed y-pipe car such as yours, I'd think you'd be even more concerned about chosing sound over performance.
Do you mean "performance over sound?" You're right about the Y pipe being crappy, but she still flows well enough. The car is difficult to go w/ the true duels, and the Off Road Y's are .... Well, disigned for off road use only. I spent a grand total of $225 bucks for my flowmaster set-up, and it sounds great! When I did it, it was intended to be only a quick fix because the stock sound was SOOOO tame, but now I've had it for over 2 years, and don't have any plans on getting rid of it for another 5 hp. ... 10 at the very very outside, maybe. LOL I was cracking up w/ your stories of the old Chevy 305. We used to cruz a 91 RS. LMAO That 305 was an iron hearted beast if you ask me. We abused that poor engine so much it was rediculous, but it always came back for more. LOL Great off the line too, I think it had somthing like 285 tq in her. ... Ah the good ol days.
Old 07-16-2004, 06:31 AM
gymrat2399

I know all of you guys are going to think im stupid but what are gears? What is the diffence in the ones people on here are telling me i should get. One said 4.10 and someone else said 3.73. What will they do and what are the advantages of each one. Is it something i could read directions on and do or would i definitely have to pay someone to do with my limited knowledge? And what is the guy in the first response to my post talking about when he said he best route would be to go GL or FI? I hope you all don't hate answering questions that most would consider stupid.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 07-16-2004, 02:23 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: IntruderLS1
Do you mean "performance over sound?" You're right about the Y pipe being crappy, but she still flows well enough. The car is difficult to go w/ the true duels, and the Off Road Y's are .... Well, disigned for off road use only. I spent a grand total of $225 bucks for my flowmaster set-up, and it sounds great! When I did it, it was intended to be only a quick fix because the stock sound was SOOOO tame, but now I've had it for over 2 years, and don't have any plans on getting rid of it for another 5 hp. ... 10 at the very very outside, maybe. LOL I was cracking up w/ your stories of the old Chevy 305. We used to cruz a 91 RS. LMAO That 305 was an iron hearted beast if you ask me. We abused that poor engine so much it was rediculous, but it always came back for more. LOL Great off the line too, I think it had somthing like 285 tq in her. ... Ah the good ol days.
Yup, I could run that 305 in 1st gear at 5200 RPMS all day and she wouldn't blow up. It's just funny that the TPI LB9 motors respond nicely to a cam & bolt-ons. I'm sure you know that everyone HATES 305's with a passion. I don't think I've ever seen such hate for any particular engine before. It would absolutely light a fire under someones *** when I grinned and said you just got spanked by my 305.

Let me give you a little information. Thirdgen.org member with a 335 stroker TPI, shorty headers & high-flow cats with a Flowmaster dyno'd 260RWHP, he put a cut-out on before his cat and netted another 18RWHP and 12RWTQ...I'm telling ya man, Slap a cut-out or swap out that muffler and you'll say dammit!! Why didn't I do that in the first place!
Old 07-16-2004, 02:30 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: gymrat2399

I know all of you guys are going to think im stupid but what are gears? What is the diffence in the ones people on here are telling me i should get. One said 4.10 and someone else said 3.73. What will they do and what are the advantages of each one. Is it something i could read directions on and do or would i definitely have to pay someone to do with my limited knowledge? And what is the guy in the first response to my post talking about when he said he best route would be to go GL or FI? I hope you all don't hate answering questions that most would consider stupid.

Thanks,
Brian
You're best off paying someone to do it if you don't have the knowledge to begin with. Everyone will argue 4.10's and 3.73's all day. FACT is, SN95+ model Mustangs have POORLY geared transmissions, this was done to help attain more gas mileage. Fox Body Mustangs have an ideally geared transmission that had performance in mind, they only require 3.73's for a major kick in the *** accellerating. Many SN95+ owners have swapped in 3.73's and been very dissapointed because it didn't respond the way they thought it would have. Quite a few members here swapped again for 4.10's and kicked themselves for not doing that to begin with.

If you skip shift around town, you'll actually get better gas mileage around town. On the highway, you might lose half a MPG over 3.73's. IMO, if you're gonna dish out the money for the swap, why not go with the best bang for your buck and get 4.10's.

Look at it this way, it's like spending $400 on headers they are dyno proven to add 15RWHP when for the same $400 you could of bought a different brand with better collectors that were putting down 20RWHP. I don't understand why budget racers looking for the most bang for their buck go with 3.73's.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:49 PM
DUB 6
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: IntruderLS1

I'm not trying to be a ***** or anything, so please don't think I'm raggin on you or your car. But if you want your GT to beat an SS, then you're going to have to accept the fact that you're looking at quite a bit of money. Going FI is probably the easiest way to get there though, so just start counting your pennies. GL w/ whichever rout you decide to go.

It doesn't take much money for a GT to run with or beat a Z28....all you need is to be smart...Intake....Gears......
Old 07-16-2004, 03:11 PM
Js281GT
2nd Gear Member

If you have an Auto go with th 4:10's. If you have the manual, get the 3:73's. The difference between the gears on the freeway is about 200 rpm's difference between the 3:73's and the 4:10's. They are about also 2 tenths difference in the quarter mile. (your choice (acceleration or better freeway gas/ top speed.
Old 07-16-2004, 03:29 PM
IntruderLS1
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gymrat2399

What are gears? What is the diffence in the ones people on here are telling me i should get. One said 4.10 and someone else said 3.73. What will they do and what are the advantages of each one. And what is the guy in the first response to my post talking about when he said he best route would be to go GL or FI?
Thanks,
Brian
Hey brother. Your questions are not stupid. It's stuff we all didn't know at one point, so no worries there. When I said "GL" that is forum shorthand for "Good Luck," and FI is short for "Forced Induction" (ie turbo or supercharger). The gears everybody is talking about are found in what's called the "rear end" of your car. Stand directly behind your ride, and get dow low and you'll see a round thing in the middle of your axle. That's where they're hidding. Those gears determine how many times your wheels turn per turn of the transmission (which is turned by the engine). If you ever had a 5 speed mountain bike, then you'll understand how it works. Remember how 1st gear was super easy to peddle in, but your top speed was mega slow? And in 5th gear you could go mach one, but it was hard as hell to start out with. ... That's because the 1st gear was bigger than the 5th gear. Easier to turn, but you get less travel out of it. The bigger gear you get put in your car will have the same effect. Go w/ the 4.10's, and you'll take off super easy, but your top speed will be limited, and your fuel consumption will go up. Go w/ something like 3.08's, and you'll have a hellova top end and gas milliage, but your poor car will really have to work to leave the line. You have to balance out what's inportant to you. Me, I'll not go to the higher gears, because I love getting 27mpg on the highway. The guys are right when they say it'll handle like a new car, but weigh your decision carefully. And I'm going to have to dis-agree w/ the guy who said get the 4.10's w/ an auto, and the 3.73's w/ the manual..... That should be the other way around IMO (In My Oppinion). Mustang guys seem to like going to gears early on, but if I were you, I would start with breathing. Get yourself a nice CAI (cold air intake) setup, and do your damndest to put in on yourself. It's a cheap way to make HP, and it'll teach you something about your car. So GL, and hit us up w/ as many questions as you can come up with. That's the reason the forums are here.
Old 07-16-2004, 03:33 PM
IntruderLS1
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan02GT
Let me give you a little information. Thirdgen.org member with a 335 stroker TPI, shorty headers & high-flow cats with a Flowmaster dyno'd 260RWHP, he put a cut-out on before his cat and netted another 18RWHP and 12RWTQ...I'm telling ya man, Slap a cut-out or swap out that muffler and you'll say dammit!! Why didn't I do that in the first place!
Thanks for the tip. I'm pretty sure the electronic cut-out's cheap, so I'll look into getting one. Boy, if I could get 18/12 out of it, I'd be extatic. Thanks.
Old 07-16-2004, 03:35 PM
IntruderLS1
2nd Gear Member

-deleated-
by IntruderLS1
Old 07-17-2004, 09:59 PM
gymrat2399

Hey guys just wanted to say thanks for helping me out w/everything. I'm sure that I'll have more stuff to ask you all later on.

Thanks,
Brian

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002gt tired of getting smoked by z28's!!!!