4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

99 GT Key Replacement $100 Seriously?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 02:54 PM
cldnails
1st Gear Member

Default 99 GT Key Replacement $100 Seriously?

My key broke the other day. The transmitter that activates my stock theft system fell out. Luckily I found it so I can lay it next to the key and it will still start my car. I went to the dealership today and they said it would be $25.00 a key and about 1 hour worth of labor to program 2 keys. They also said they would program a minimum of 2 keys.

Am I getting bent over or what?

Is there anyway I can just disarm my theft system so I don't need the transmitter. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:07 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 99 GT Key Replacement $100 Seriously?

damn, thats cheap dude. $25 a key. they are around 40 near me. but it only takes them 2 seconds to calibrate them
Old 07-19-2004, 08:50 PM
GIGM08GT
2nd Gear Member

where can I get a new key? only a Ford Dealership right?
Old 07-19-2004, 09:01 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SuperStudGT

where can I get a new key? only a Ford Dealership right?
the local ace hardware near my house sells them
Old 07-20-2004, 09:50 PM
cldnails
1st Gear Member

Yes the ace hardware store would be great for a Ford Key, if they came with the programmed key that let your theft deterrant system know that it was you and not some jerk trying to steal the car.

Apparently they have to program the car, not just program the key to my car. I have to make an appointment in their shop to bring it in, major crappiness.

I hate dealerships....
Old 07-21-2004, 11:33 AM
2002stang

Hey,
I can see How a dealership would charge that, being they are a dealership.

I work at carmax, and we purchased a ford New Generation Star tester2(its like a 10k tool ) well it programs the keys for all Ford, Lincoln, mazda, mercury vehicles, as well does just about anything diagnostical to a ford.

I personally Program Many ford keys with this machiene,
Yes, It physically takes 2 seconds to physically flash the key, But you have to have the machiene on in a 10 minute security access. Basically it wont let you program it for 10 minutes.

Why 10 minute security access? Quite simple. Say im a theif I get a key cut for the vin thats listed at the lower windshield, I unlock the car, plug the tool into the OBD2 port, program the
key, and drive off clean.

They make you wait, so your sitting there for 10 minutes out in the open if you were a theif and you were to use that tool in a non appropriate way to steal the car

Hope this kinda explain what is behind the whole price, being that the tool is a ford and exclusive dealer tool that not many people own or know how to operate.

Anthony
Old 07-21-2004, 03:30 PM
w11988
1st Gear Member

good info. Anyway you slice it, $100 is a hose job. Does carmax do this and if so for how much?
Old 07-21-2004, 09:40 PM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

Hey everyone. I work for FORD. My dealership charges $25 for a key and an hour for labor. This is the deal. IF you have one key, you get charged an hour, my place is 69 an hour. If you have 2 keys its FREE. If you have 1 key, you have to use WDS. I get in youre Mustang, and start this thing up, then i have to gain access to youre PATS system. Which takes 10 minutes. The whole 1 hour labor sometimes its only 30 minutes to do this, some cars/trucks it takes longer and the tech actually looses money. So after you gain access you have to erase all key codes, that lets you bring another key into the system. After that you stick the key in and take it out then stick the new one in and take it out. THATS 1 key. IF you have 2 keys and would like a 3rd. All you have to do is, stick the 1st key in and turn it until the THEFT light goes out, remove the key and stick the 2nd key in and wait for the THEFT light to go out. Then you stick youre unprogrammed key in and turn it until the THEFT light goes out. AND there you have it plain and simple. The ****ty thing is some dealership will charge you the 25 a key plus 1 hour for a new key even if you have 2. Alot of customers dont know the 2 key trick.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:47 AM
cobrakid
1st Gear Member

I don't think you can disarm the theft program in the CPU.. Could be wrong though.
ORIGINAL: cldnails

My key broke the other day. The transmitter that activates my stock theft system fell out. Luckily I found it so I can lay it next to the key and it will still start my car. I went to the dealership today and they said it would be $25.00 a key and about 1 hour worth of labor to program 2 keys. They also said they would program a minimum of 2 keys.

Am I getting bent over or what?

Is there anyway I can just disarm my theft system so I don't need the transmitter. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:11 PM
cldnails
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info Casper, calms me down a little. However, can only a Ford dealership provide this service?

Also, there has to be a way to disarm, disconnect, break...the theft deterrant system. Anybody with any info?

Quick Reply: 99 GT Key Replacement $100 Seriously?