4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
View Poll Results: A poll
Accufab TB & Plenum, MAC Straightshot (w/ MAI) $579.95
0%
Accufab Plenum, C&L TB, Full Densecharger (w/ MAI) $669.95
100.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

WHICH SHOULD I DO!!! (Please read details before choosing)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 04:08 PM
ricekiller2003
3rd Gear Member

Default WHICH SHOULD I DO!!! (Please read details before choosing)

I am pulling out my old MAC CAI (and throwing it out on ebay) because it overheated too much. I noticed a sound difference, but I'm reluctant to say it made a performance difference. That thing got HOT to the touch though...

I am considering two COMPLETE setups for my car...I'm debating between the two because while one is pricier, it SHOULD have more performance...although I'm not exactly certain.

SETUP 1:

MAC Straightshot (includes full length pipe up to the throttle body, and a mass air meter), and an Accufab Throttle Body and Plenum.

Pros: Costs only $579.95 for the whole setup! The MAC Straightshot has only one bend (see pic below). Involves an Accufab TB AND Plenum

Cons: The MAC Straightshot is constructed of stainless steel...heating I believe is an issue (although I've never had a Straightshot).

Setup 2:

Densecharger kit (includes full length pipe up to the throttle body, and a mass air meter), and an Accufab Throttle Body and C&L Plenum.

Pros: Densecharger is made out of hard plastic (doesn't get hot). I hear great things about densecharger.

Cons: More expensive by almost $100! Densecharger has two bends (see pic below) so I'm not sure if this would rob it of performance.

I need to hear your thoughts! Please vote! Money is not so much the big issue, but I'm not sure about the MAC Straight Shot because it's metal!
Old 07-20-2004, 04:11 PM
WHT00GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: WHICH SHOULD I DO!!! (Please read details before choosing)

Accufab plenum+Accufab T/B+Denscharger= nice setup

this option is not up there, so i am not voting...
Old 07-20-2004, 04:27 PM
ricekiller2003
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, i was considering that...but it would be a $760 setup as opposed to $670...just a little too pricey....

I've heard great things about the C&L plenum with accufab TB
Old 07-20-2004, 04:32 PM
WHT00GT
3rd Gear Member

never again will i buy an cai that is shinny in any way... way too much heat conducting.. plastic is your friend...

i have yet to hear anything good about the C&L plenum on a N/A setup... i only still have mine because i have nothing else to replace it at the moment. still waiting to get my accufab plenum...
Old 07-20-2004, 04:56 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

I cant stress this enough... Densecharger is the only way to go. It will come with a 85mm ProM MAM that is tuned for your application and plastic never gets hot to the touch, thus remaining a TRUE COLD AIR INTAKE!

Chrome setups always got way to hot and hot air is no good for an engine. Chrome is more less for looks and is not for performance.

Just remember... you get what you pay for!
Old 07-20-2004, 05:03 PM
SCARFACE
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jdaniel

I cant stress this enough... Densecharger is the only way to go. It will come with a 85mm ProM MAM that is tuned for your application and plastic never gets hot to the touch, thus remaining a TRUE COLD AIR INTAKE!

Chrome setups always got way to hot and hot air is no good for an engine. Chrome is more less for looks and is not for performance.

Just remember... you get what you pay for!
I totally back that up, agree!
Old 07-20-2004, 05:06 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

you could save money by keeping the mac intake, and getting fiberglass wrap, and it would be cooler than the densecharger
Old 07-20-2004, 05:16 PM
ricekiller2003
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nomocobra

you could save money by keeping the mac intake, and getting fiberglass wrap, and it would be cooler than the densecharger
I think I'll just pawn the MAC on ebay, and use some of that money towards my new setup...I personally want to have a professional looking setup. I'm sure the fiberglass wrap would be cooler, but I'm just not sure about having it look neat and wrapping it around the two hoses and the wiring for the MAM...

Great suggestions so far...

How does the C&L plenum match up with the densecharger? I've heard one bad review posted so far...I thought these things were good?
Old 07-20-2004, 05:18 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

teh densecharger pwns all biotches
Old 07-20-2004, 05:43 PM
ricekiller2003
3rd Gear Member

I guess it's gonna be a densecharger...

How's the C&L plenum with an accufab TB add up? I heard this was a good combo. but yet there is bad heresay on this post....

Quick Reply: WHICH SHOULD I DO!!! (Please read details before choosing)