4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

1996 Mustang GT... (Help) Looking to Purchase.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 11:02 PM
mosportgreen66

Default 1996 Mustang GT... (Help) Looking to Purchase.

Hey guys. I am new to this forum. Looks like a Great Web Site. Anyhow, I am looking at my first Mustang. Its a 1996 GT Coupe (Black on Grey). Good standard options as well as a few nice upgrades, 41,000 miles. Car Fax report verifies the miles. It was in one car accident that was properly fix at the local Ford Dealer. The car has the Window Stick, and an invoice for the repairs done to it. The car was sitting for a long time and probably needs a tune up. With this type of Mustang what is recommend with a tune up? Plugs, Wires, Bearings, etc.? What is a ball park range for a tune up? What parts go fast that I should look into changing? The car also needs new tires. Do I really need Z rated tires? Also there is a squeak when I turn the steering wheel. What could this be? How reliable are these cars? Will it last me a long time with proper maintenance? Lastly, what is a good price to offer the seller?

If this isn't posted in the right place please forgive me I have not yet familiarized myself with this forum.

Thanks in advance,

-Dave
Old 10-20-2006, 11:32 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: 1996 Mustang GT... (Help) Looking to Purchase.

Never expect an accident repaired car to be a reliable daily driver, regardless of who has done the work. You don't need Z rated tires assuming you won't take the car over 100+ MPH.

IMO, its never a good idea to buy a DD that is in need of repairs before you even get it home. I don't know your budget, I don't quite know your plans with the car so I'm just assuming. I would pass.

Welcome to the forums & don't be afraid to ask any questions!
Old 10-20-2006, 11:41 PM
ripper
3rd Gear Member

96 is my favorite yr lol as you can see. If your lookin for a nice mustang you wont be disapointed, if your looking for a fast mustang you will be. 1996 stangs came with non ip heads hp if i remember right is like 270. I just figured it would be too much trouble to get a sn95 to go fast but i did it $$$$$$$$$$ lol. The 4.6 motor is well made and you wont regret buyin that car. There fun to drive and reliable (watch snow or wet roads). If the car is close to mint (cept for the accident) id say 6000 is a fair price. I am guessin there are no mods so i would tune it myself if i was you. Plugs, wires, oil&gas filter, pvc valve, hmmm bout it. Half the fun of ownin a mustang is taking care of it. Just be warned you will def get bit by the horsefly and turn stangified lol. This is a great forum. Guys know there stuff.Im not sure about the tires my wife has a stock 95gt and i put nittos on it. I think there better on wet roads. As for the squeek ill bet one of the guys here knows what it is, i sure dont. Keep checkin back someone will have an answer for you. Heres some pics of mine take a look http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...php?carid=1068
Old 10-20-2006, 11:47 PM
II 98 GT II
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ripper

1996 stangs came with non ip heads hp if i remember right is like 270.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:11 AM
mosportgreen66

I have been around cars a very long time. Now I am not certain but I am pretty sure the repairs done to the car are done very well. I don't need something fast, I need something reliable that I can start up and drive as my daily driver. If I do not get Z rated tires what do you guys suggest? Also what books or manuals do you guys suggest to familiarize myself with the 96 Mustang? I have been a Chevy guy all my life and to be honest I know next to nothing about Mustangs.

Thanks,

-Dave
Old 10-21-2006, 12:30 AM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

Whats the price on it?
Old 10-21-2006, 12:36 AM
V8Cody
3rd Gear Member

Well let me compare my car when i bought it.

This is the details of my car when I bought it:
Bone Stock 1996 "Laser Red" Mustang GT
-5 Speed Manual
-67,000 Miles
-Power Everything
-Cloth Seats
-Couple VERY MINOR scratches
-Never seen snow
-Never been in an accident
-One other owner

OK, now I paid $4,800 last November for the car. I feel I got a pretty good deal on mine. Now I don't know the exact details of the one you are looking at..but I would offer him no more than $5200-$5400 for it. I would bring up the fact that the car has been in an accident (major or minor), and needs a couple things fixed to be a daily driver.

Hope that helped!

Cody
Old 10-21-2006, 01:03 AM
bleau
2nd Gear Member

You said it needs a tune up. did it run kinda rough?
I would low ball him on the price 3k or less any more I would ask buyer to have car inspected by an auto shop.
If all it needed was some plugs the seller if he was smart would throw some in to get max value out of the car.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:34 PM
mosportgreen66

The car kind of broke up when we drove it on the highway. And the current owner said that he doesn't think the car has had a tune up since it was new. I think he wants some ware in the $5,000 - $5,500 range. I offered him $4,500 and he turned it down.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:53 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mosportgreen66

The car kind of broke up when we drove it on the highway. And the current owner said that he doesn't think the car has had a tune up since it was new. I think he wants some ware in the $5,000 - $5,500 range. I offered him $4,500 and he turned it down.
Walk away from it. Just trust me on this.. You dont want a car for that price range that acts like that and needs work especally the 94-98's.. The 5.0 and 4.6 of those years were puppy's... they werent even fully grown dog's yet..

They come rated at 215hp.. if its near stock and an auto, you MIGHT run a mid 15 1/4.. If its a stick, high 14's are about the BEST you can get unless you do some major work.

For the work that needs done, and for the price he's asking I would just walk away. Go find a 99+ with high miles for a comparable price and buy it. These motors have been known to go way into the 200k's when taken care of and not beat to hell and back. Or you can search for a higher mileage 96-98 cobra around the 8k range, and probably find one pretty quickly.

Quick Reply: 1996 Mustang GT... (Help) Looking to Purchase.