4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

bbk catless x

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 12:06 AM
BmX
1st Gear Member

Default RE: bbk catless x

stay away from the BBK X Pipe!

It sucks as$ like no other xpipe.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:11 AM
00stang37
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BmX

why do you say that?
Old 10-23-2006, 12:16 AM
wes ley n the G T
3rd Gear Member

Cause he felt like making an ignorant post[&:] Its all preference, I mean I've seen 600rwhp Terminators with BBK x-pipes and also GT's with the same. Its all really about what you want and how much your looking to spend.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:58 AM
00stang37
2nd Gear Member

i like the deep rumble and not so much the cracling raspy sound. like a little high pitched i can deal with but i dont like the way it sounds when it crackles. i can get the bbk caless x for $50 which is something i can spend but i dont want to get it if its not going to be wha ti expect. i like the borlas but midpipes i dont have any preference nor do i have any real knowledge about the catted/catless x/h. and isnt it hard to pass inspection with catless, someone told me it was a federal offense but not sure about that one. thanks
Old 10-23-2006, 01:12 AM
scubasteve20

OK... I just had to replace my cracked O/R H with the absolute cheapest thing I could find. I wound up with a $150 ebay O/R X and I was a little worried about the sound but I'm completely satisfied. There is a small difference in the sound but that's just it, a SMALL difference. Under load at 2-4k rpm's the tone sounds slightly sharper, I wouldn't say raspy. At 5-6k it sounds mean as sh*t! still not raspy. I loved my exhaust before but now I really love it, maybe just 'cause It's different. I hope this helps you make your decision, don't let anyone else make it for you. BTW: I've never had problems with BBK products. I'm also running Flowmaster 40's.

Steve
Old 10-23-2006, 01:43 AM
00stang37
2nd Gear Member

thanks scuba. that makes it a little easier to get the o/r x for 50. thanks but im still not sure haha
Old 10-23-2006, 02:36 AM
BmX
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 00stang37

ORIGINAL: BmX

why do you say that?
because theres to many threads that look like this:

http://svtperformance.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=325992

GEt a BBK o/r Hpipe and youll be very happy.
plus BBK X pipe is not a TRUE X pipe.
Go head and try it You might get lucky and have a kick *** sounding ride!
Edit: For $50 thats not much for a midpipe. Go head and get it and if you dont like it just sell it on ebay for like 90 lol.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:49 AM
00stang37
2nd Gear Member

damn haha. can i swap the pipes out myself? i know the kid and if its an easy driveway job ill see if i can hear them first to see if i like them. thats all i can really think of now to determine if i like them or not. now my last question is the h pipes give you low end tourqe and the x pipes give you high end hp. whats better for a gt? and do you lose high end hp when you put on an h and lose low end tourqe when you put on an x or does it just add low for an h and high for an x? cuz someone told me you lose hp/tourqe depending on what one you get.

thanks to all the guys who have posted so far also
Old 10-23-2006, 02:58 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

Doesn't matter what aftermarket mid pipe you get! You will never beable to feel the diff. in power between any one of them, just the sound. The only power gains are from stock to aftermarket! Get the $50 pipe and try it out. What's there to lose, nothing just take it off and sell it!
Old 10-23-2006, 03:31 AM
eventer289
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 00stang37

damn haha. can i swap the pipes out myself? i know the kid and if its an easy driveway job ill see if i can hear them first to see if i like them. thats all i can really think of now to determine if i like them or not. now my last question is the h pipes give you low end tourqe and the x pipes give you high end hp. whats better for a gt? and do you lose high end hp when you put on an h and lose low end tourqe when you put on an x or does it just add low for an h and high for an x? cuz someone told me you lose hp/tourqe depending on what one you get.

thanks to all the guys who have posted so far also
Yes you can swap the pipe out in your driveway. I dont know though if I would really want to go to all the work just to try it out. It isnt exactly to shortest and most effortless install. For 50 bucks I would buy it. Deals like that dont come around to often. I have a friend with a BBK O/R X and it sounds fine. Not as toned as my prochamber, but it still sounds good.

Quick Reply: bbk catless x