4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

O/R H-pipe vs Hi Flow H-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 06:07 PM
Razor19
2nd Gear Member

Default O/R H-pipe vs Hi Flow H-pipe

I just bought the MAC O/R H-pipe from AMP performance (yes thats right the god awful AMP performance that supposedely is horrible). Right when I got out some guy with a white cobra starts talking to me out in the parking lot. He says he just got pulled over a few days ago by a cop cause his car sounded to loud and they went under and checked for cats. He was running a High Flow H-pipe with magnaflows and they pulled him over for being to loud. So it made me question right after I bought it do I really want to take the risk of getting caught. I'm only 18 so If I get caught my insurance is gonna go up soooooo much. I'm just wondering is there a big performance and sound difference between the O/R and the Hi-Flow or will I be better off just going with the Hi-Flow and playing it safe?
Old 08-07-2004, 07:11 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

Default RE: O/R H-pipe vs Hi Flow H-pipe

i answered this in the pipes and boost section i think.
Old 08-07-2004, 07:16 PM
Redline03GT
3rd Gear Member

I have a high flow H pipe from MRT (Mustang Racing Technologies) complimented with 2 series Flowmaster mufflers. The off road h pipe is significantly louder, so if you want to avoid the cops, stay catted. If you don't have the money to get the catted version, then best of luck avoiding the cops.
Old 08-08-2004, 01:14 AM
00MustangGT
1st Gear Member

If I were you I would go with the catted. I'm 19 also so I can relate. I am probably going to get the magnaflow catted X pipe for my car to play it safe. With the Hi-Flow cats, there isnt a significant difference maybe a few HP tops between the two.
Old 08-08-2004, 01:40 AM
Acer2428
Site Mod

Don't go magnaflow catted X.... Catback, ok...... O/R X ok....... Catted X-pipe..no

If something happens they'll give you the run around and try to blame you before they even see the pipe.

I have a near stock 98GT except for the mods below and the magnaflow ppl told me I probably burnt it up w/ nitro and am trying to hide it....... [sm=forgetit.gif][sm=badidea.gif][sm=trust_me.gif]
Old 08-08-2004, 02:17 AM
RichMc87Classicstang

Dont go catted anything unless you absolutlety have to and have to drive your car everyday and cant get inspected with any loopholes. In my opinion the biggest exhaust restriction on these cars is the 2 inch pipes and 4 cats they have, any pipes running through cats defeat the purpose of headers the pressure slows down to travel through the cats anyway. Go off road pipe and enjoy the sound and performance.As far as cops go just drive nice through town and wait till your on the backroads or the racetrack to open her up!
Old 08-08-2004, 04:39 AM
dawssvt
3rd Gear Member

I would go with the MAC O/R H-Pipe, when i took my cats off, my car got SOOO much louder, and my buddy with a 98 cobra just like mine bought a BBK with high flow cats and his no where neear as loud! but i live in New Mexico and we dont have emissions!! so i would say if you are worried about getting caught go with the catted!!!!
Old 08-08-2004, 05:52 AM
Razor19
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the replies guys. Although the catted will cost me about $200 more I think I am going to go with it. Its just not worth it to me risk getting caught and gettign a ticket that will mess up my insurance. Most of you say there isnt much difference performance wise but sound wise the catted will be quite a bit quiter but I can live with that. Also I got one more question does the 96-98 GT have 6 or 4 cats I've heard both answers from numerous people.
Old 08-08-2004, 06:09 AM
dawssvt
3rd Gear Member

if you do get caught you could always go to court and say your car was sold like that....just keep the no cats til you get caught!!!!!!
Old 08-08-2004, 06:14 AM
Razor19
2nd Gear Member

Performance wise can anybody give me some estimates of the difference I would be getting between the O/R H-pipe and the Hi-Flow H-pipe?

Quick Reply: O/R H-pipe vs Hi Flow H-pipe