4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Painted chin spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 01:44 AM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Painted chin spoiler?

don't be so sure of that, paint is not able to cover a 100 grit scratch let alone a scratch from making contact with anything
ORIGINAL: BleedinBlue

The spoiler I'm getting is used, and probably has a few scratches. The paint would cover up any scratches, and I think would look really good too. I could paint it myself.

I'm also kicking around the idea of some sort of textured undercoating as a base coat. My GF's Cougar has a textured undercoating under the paint all the way around the car, you can't even tell and I think it protects from rock chips and such...but in this instance would cover up scratches.

Thanks for the pic, BTW.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:47 AM
03fireredstang
2nd Gear Member

if ur car is plain (no decals or stripes) then go for it, but if not then i think the black would be better...on my car i have black decals and the chin spoiler adds to it
Old 10-30-2006, 01:53 AM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 94gtcoupe

don't be so sure of that, paint is not able to cover a 100 grit scratch let alone a scratch from making contact with anything
ORIGINAL: BleedinBlue

The spoiler I'm getting is used, and probably has a few scratches. The paint would cover up any scratches, and I think would look really good too. I could paint it myself.

I'm also kicking around the idea of some sort of textured undercoating as a base coat. My GF's Cougar has a textured undercoating under the paint all the way around the car, you can't even tell and I think it protects from rock chips and such...but in this instance would cover up scratches.

Thanks for the pic, BTW.
Aye, I spoke out of order. I think the undercoating, which would be much thicker than the paint, would cover up scratches in the spoiler. Plus, I would sand a bit on the spoiler.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:21 AM
akelemecz
I ♥ Acer

My advice since I just took it off my car.. leave it black .. you don't notice it until its gone and you realize what a dramatic difference it made in the front end of a pretty much stock car....
Old 10-30-2006, 12:54 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

lol, Ok. Hey Andrew, BTW, what sort of fasteners did you use to hold it onto your car? Did you use plastic clips?
Old 10-30-2006, 01:20 PM
Turkeyboy
2nd Gear Member

Yea paint it, that is the one thing that is keeping me from buying one... i dont like the non painted look
Old 10-30-2006, 05:22 PM
akelemecz
I ♥ Acer

it was screwed into my front bumper wtih washers to keep the heads from digging into ito of course..
they make these plastic pops but im pretty sure you have to drill pilot holes to get them in .. so you might as well just screw it in ..
Old 08-17-2007, 03:22 AM
ironwarrior

I have a white 2000 GT . The chin spoiler will be something I will be getting soon.
I defnitely want to paint it white to match the car. I know that if you drive over to
an automotive paint store they can easily computer match your color and sell you a quart of paint.
I don't know if that would be all you need to do it right, but the anti-flex agent advise sounded like a good one.
I'm sure the paint store could give one instructions and all you would need to do it right.
I have a compressor and a gun, so I am ready to do it
Old 08-17-2007, 05:30 AM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

I have not done this, I kinda forgot about it. But if you are going to, I'd suggest using an adhesive promoter as a primer. Then, if you wanted, use the undercoating, then paint and then clearcoat (If you are going to clear it). I think it would work out good.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:02 AM
OzzDOA
3rd Gear Member

I'd leave it black. Its already sort of textured and that helps hide the scratches. I matched my chin spoiler up with black bumper inserts out back and the blackon silver looks really nice.

Quick Reply: Painted chin spoiler?