4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

3.73 gears

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 04:43 PM
91GT5.0
2nd Gear Member

Default 3.73 gears

Ok, gears don't add hp, so I guess the faster acceleration you get with gears is just in your head? You're saying that 2.73's and 3.73's have the same acceleration? So what's the point of buying aftermarket gears? Truth is, gears do add hp, it's just kinda hard to believe cause you're not touching the engine. That's why putting 3.73's in a stock mustang will beat another stock mustang with 2.73's. How else could you beat another car unless you're putting more power to the ground (assuming drivers are equal)? This debate can go on forever, but if you can prove to me how putting gears in your car makes it go faster without adding power to the wheels, I'll admit my mistake and stop talking.
Old 03-13-2003, 05:37 PM
lloydchristmas
3rd Gear Member

Default 3.73 gears

Gears just make you get up into your RPM range quicker. Thats why you pick up bottom end but lose top speed. Take your G tech and throw it in the river. LOL
Old 03-13-2003, 05:42 PM
lloydchristmas
3rd Gear Member

Default 3.73 gears

Tell the shop who told you that to sell his dyno and close his doors.Because he is wrong just like you are
Old 03-13-2003, 06:29 PM
cougar

Default 3.73 gears

LOL i luv it when a guy thinks he is rite and some one prooves him wrong.Ill bet lloyd dont even have a clue wot rwhp is.
Old 03-13-2003, 07:23 PM
lloydchristmas
3rd Gear Member

Default 3.73 gears

As soon as someone proves me wrong you can make a statement like that. Horsepower is made in the engine. For guys like cougar who dont seem to get it, the engine is the BIG AIR PUMP IN THE FRONT OF THE CAR. Modifications made to this air pump, the ENGINE, will usually result in an increase in power. The more air you can push through the engine the more power you can make. Stay with me here, this is where it gets tricky. The horsepower rating at the fly wheel will always be greater than that at the REAR WHEELS. (RWHP) That statement right there proves Cougar wrong, and youre right It is cool. The power at the rear wheels is less because of the amount of pwer use to turn the trans, driveshaft, gears and so forth. The last time I checked, changing gears or converter or what ever else, did not add air or fuel to the ENGINE thereby NOT INCREASING HORSEPOWER. Now that I have explained it to you go watch the Fast and the Furious again because that is the kind of dime store racer you have proven yourself to be. If you want to hang with the big boys you should get your **** straight before you talk smack. The chance of you EVER knowing more about how a car works than Myself or Noslow or anyone else who was on the right side of this argument is slim if not non existent.

Mayber instead of being Lloyd I should be called Lord.
Old 03-13-2003, 10:56 PM
cougar

Default 3.73 gears

No see thats where ur wrong dude. what happens when u put roller rockers on a engine or take a power steering belt off? ur not adding air or compression,ur just freeing up frictoin. With translates to more HP.rear wheel can be done just like that.when you use a lower gear ur getting rid of friction.Same as when u go from a AOD trans to a C-4. The C-4 uses less friction to turn so wot happens ? the RWHP and Torq go up>>>.........
Old 03-13-2003, 10:58 PM
cougar

Default 3.73 gears

Oh and i never said it increases HP at the engine infact i said it dont increase engine HP just RWHP.
Old 03-15-2003, 11:30 AM
lloydchristmas
3rd Gear Member

Default 3.73 gears

Wow I guess you are right. I apologize dude. I put a short shifter on my car today and picked up 5 horsepower!!! With out adding fuel or air to my motor!!!! You are a genius
Old 03-15-2003, 11:53 AM
lloydchristmas
3rd Gear Member

Default 3.73 gears

If you think all roller rockers do is reduce friction maybe you should find a new hobby after listening to you I dont think the whole car thing is your cup of tea.
Old 03-15-2003, 04:23 PM
91GT5.0
2nd Gear Member

Default 3.73 gears

RR's do add hp though, don't they? They increase valve lift and improve efficiency, or am I wrong? Either way, I still think gears add hp, lol.

Quick Reply: 3.73 gears