4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Premium fuel

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 10:10 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Premium fuel

ORIGINAL: akelemecz

I'm tired of you cut and paste guys .. if thats the case.. 105 octane fuel is just there to be a huge gimmick! ... 93 is a cleaner fuel with more additives etc... allowing your fuel system to run cleaner... and for $.10 more a gallon .. 1.50 a week .. and 78 dollars a year its worth it ....
What do you mean cut and paste? You better learn more about cars and fuels before you try to give out advice. 105 octane race fuel is for high compression engines over 11.2:1. Do some research then come back and say your sorry.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:21 PM
akelemecz
I ♥ Acer

Haha .. ok sorry .. I'm a noob that knows nothing about cars .. *********** Be nice or be banned. One warning....

Basically you're telling me that if I'd take my GT ... and run it with my 100 wet shot running 87.. and then take it ... get it tuned with 105 .. then take it back and run it .. it wouldn't do me a damn bit of good ?
Old 11-10-2006, 10:36 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Yeah if you get it tuned for that which means advancing your timing you will get and improvement. But just run it untuned and use 105 then you just spent alot of money for nothing.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:43 PM
2004GTRED
2nd Gear Member

isnt there a nice sticky about fuel ratings?
Old 11-10-2006, 10:48 PM
blstoff
2nd Gear Member

this may help . http://www.theserviceadvisor.com/octane.htm
Old 11-10-2006, 10:54 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blstoff

this may help . http://www.theserviceadvisor.com/octane.htm
Ha see now that is a guy that does his research. Akelemecz you can learn from this guy LOL
Old 11-10-2006, 11:57 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1fast50

Why do the cobras require Premium fuel? whats so special about the engines?
They have higher compression... because of this they need a higher octane. The 03/04 Cobras are supercharged as well, meaning a need for higher octane.

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

I hope you like wasting money cause thats what you are doing. 93 is no better then 89. 93 has a higher temp at which it ignites. When you advance your timing you allow more air in the combustion chamber which makes it hotter when you compress it. The cobra's have higher compression ratios (NA) then GT's which causes more heat and that is why you need to run 93 octane. Running 93 in a stock GT is just a waste of money and does ablosutly noting for your car.
As much as I hate the guy you're replying to, you're incorrect here. Cam timing yes, but ignition timing, no. When people advance their timing they only advance the ignition timing... When the spark happens has no effect on how much air/fuel is in the cylinder. I'll think up an analogy if this doesn't make sense.

I'm tired of you cut and paste guys .. if thats the case.. 105 octane fuel is just there to be a huge gimmick! ... 93 is a cleaner fuel with more additives etc... allowing your fuel system to run cleaner... and for $.10 more a gallon .. 1.50 a week .. and 78 dollars a year its worth it ....
Yes and no. 93 itself is not cleaner, but all fuel suppliers add detergents to the higher octane fuels as an incentive to get people with cars designed to run on 87 octane to buy higher.

Haha .. ok sorry .. I'm a noob that knows nothing about cars .. STFU you dumb**** ...

Basically you're telling me that if I'd take my GT ... and run it with my 100 wet shot running 87.. and then take it ... get it tuned with 105 .. then take it back and run it .. it wouldn't do me a damn bit of good ?
Depends. What are you adjusting with the tune? If you're advancing the timing, yes, but with nitrous you really shouldn't be advancing the timing at all, in fact, you should move it back a few degrees to be safe.

So much incorrect information that just flat out doesn't make sense flying around this thread.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:57 PM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

akelemecz said that the 93 is a better fuel - of which he is correct - its cleaner and better for the longevity of a tuned motor for shure. However you are incorrect in some respects - 105 will make more power than 87 - sorry to tell you - but yes you do need a tune to take advantage of that potential gain...

but for your stock car 87 is just as good - now wether 93 is a total waste is another debate - bc your car will run better with 93, but is it NECESSARY ..no is it a waste I dont think so - the 93 does have more detergents
I would jsut say run what ever you think is better - I run 93 but I have a tune - before the tune I ran 87
I would have to agree that running 93 full time is a waste on a stocker - but 93 every once in a while wont hurt it... however if youve been running 93 - I would say stick with it - bc I hear horror stories of the down grade if you have been running it a long time.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:20 AM
mattmoto441
3rd Gear Member

i run 91 in all my stangs b/c its not gonna coast me that much more for a full tank like what a buk or two, dont be such cheep asses[:@]
Old 11-11-2006, 12:25 AM
2004_mustang_gt
1st Gear Member

So would it be more better to put 91 octane in a 2004 mustang gt? Just wondering because it doesn't say that anywhere. thanks

Quick Reply: Premium fuel