4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Tire gurus in here!!!

Old 11-12-2006, 03:03 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Default Tire gurus in here!!!

I was going to go with 10.5" rears so I can run 315's in the back... but, I don't want to replace all 4 wheels, and I cannot find any 17x10.5" wheels in my color (stock finish 03' wheels)... Is it possible to run the 315's on the 17x9?? Or what's the biggest I can go without it looking stupid? Or should I just stick with my 275/40's?
Old 11-12-2006, 03:13 PM
akelemecz
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Tire gurus in here!!!

To prove I'm a nice guy .. here you go .. you can fit up to a 305 on a 9 inch tire I've done it .. but it does not look good and the max as stated by the tire "pros" is that you should not run over a 275 on a 8 inch rim ... if you like the wheels you have, there are guys out there that widen wheels for about 100-150 per wheel, that is out my buddy and I are having our wheels widend, cheaper and def. safe ...
Old 11-12-2006, 03:30 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

I have a 9" rim... the stock cobra wheels are 17x9. thanks for the reply... I have heard of people running the 315's on a 17x9" wheel before... anyone actually do it in here? or seen it?
Old 11-12-2006, 03:58 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

You should check svtperformance.com forums. Theres lots of people over there with 03/04 cobras, and I believe alot of them run 315/35/17 Nitto 555Rs on their stock wheels. Nittos run a little bit smaller width wise then BFGs do, I know because I had BFGs until yesterday and my new Nittos are not quite as wide as my BFGs were.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:19 PM
shifterdelux
2nd Gear Member

Wide rears are for drag racing. They reduce slip angle, and alter cornering power to the worth. Plus you loose power oversteering ability, and get less traction in the wet. But if drag racing is your thing and if you after looks, they look killer! You should go with widest rim possible, and biggest possible wheel radius (16, 17, 18, or even 19), in order to increase contact patch, if that is what you after. Consider wheel weight and tire weight too.

For handling, man, go with combinations used by Saleen, Rousch, or SVT.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:31 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

you can fit a 315 bfg on a 9in rim, and they do sell 10.5 03 cobra rims in that finish, ive seen them
Old 11-12-2006, 04:40 PM
shifterdelux
2nd Gear Member

Just remembered. AFS replica wheels, click here

They are cheap, and they even have wheel and tire packages, though not the best combination, but again, they are going for looks, kinda like you.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:46 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

yes i've looked there - AFS just doesn't have my wheel finish... I am checking on svtperf, but nobody has responded in a couple days, lol... They say 275 nittos dont grip very well, that if you want grip you need the 315 nittos.. thats why im getting them.

EDIT: ahh so i need to call them, didnt see that part... but, also - I think the nitto 315 will fit on the 17x9 wheel - thanks guys.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:02 PM
shifterdelux
2nd Gear Member

You talking about straight line grip, broza. But hey, it must be your thing, that and looks, because they look bad.

Call or email AFS, they should be able to make you custom wheels, because that is what they do. Tell them what you need.

Problem with AFS and such, is that you dont know what you getting. You want light and balanced to the T wheel, and that you only get from reputable racing wheel manufacturer.

If grip is what you after, 1st to looks, then pick the lightest combination you can find in a right size. Big contact patch and light wheel gives you better grip than big contact patch and heavier wheel. I cant see my stock GT needing anything more than 255, and I have 245 right now, so its not that far off. More rim radius will make a greater contact patch too.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:28 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

bad as in good, or bad as in bad?? lol - im trying to be able to launch a car with close to 500lb ft torque to the floor at 2500rpms, at 2500rpms, lol - I don't think 275 nittos will cut it... maybe 275 BF's or Mickeys... but i also need to be able to drive in fla rain .. I dont mind AFS wheels, but im not tryin to spend an arm and a leg for a pair of knock offs... I was thinkin bout doin them on the 17x9 inch wheel and when I muster up enough for the larger wheel, ill swap the tires on to the larger wheel, get the spacers and shave the IRS bolt down... we'll see..
ORIGINAL: shifterdelux

You talking about straight line grip, broza. But hey, it must be your thing, that and looks, because they look bad.

Call or email AFS, they should be able to make you custom wheels, because that is what they do. Tell them what you need.

Problem with AFS and such, is that you dont know what you getting. You want light and balanced to the T wheel, and that you only get from reputable racing wheel manufacturer.

If grip is what you after, 1st to looks, then pick the lightest combination you can find in a right size. Big contact patch and light wheel gives you better grip than big contact patch and heavier wheel. I cant see my stock GT needing anything more than 255, and I have 245 right now, so its not that far off. More rim radius will make a greater contact patch too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire gurus in here!!!