4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Finally getting a V8!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 12:38 PM
uofipilot
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Finally getting a V8!!!

I went from a Saturn four-banger to my 97 cobra....I think I shat myself the first time I opened it up. Anyway, I would be really weary buying a s/c 96 gt, just because you know it hasn't had an easy life.

And it really isn't the same sh*t under the hood. Those cobras are not s/c, and they are really a completely different motor than the gt motor. I would look for a 96-98 cobra if I were you. If you can get the same power out of a n/a car with a stronger motor, thats probably the route to go. The gt motor inst the strongest motor, and if its been supercharged and beat on for years, it could be on its way out. PLus the fact that the guy who owned it doesnt even know what the hp is, that pretty much proves that it was never properly dyno tuned. Just my opinion.

Matt
Old 11-13-2006, 12:56 PM
GStam66
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jaybird79

ORIGINAL: mylongvictor

Going from a V6 to a V8 is like waking up in the morning and noticing you have a much bigger *****.... Its a great feeling!
[sm=funnypostabove.gif][sm=groupwave.gif]

roflcopter.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:20 PM
Quick Shot xMLx
5th Gear Member

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

I would personally be a bit weary of that car. A S/C usually means it was ran pretty hard. Also the fact that he stated he never got it on the dyno. Who knows how messed up that tune is. The car could be running extremely rich/lean. Neons, fake badging? This guy sounds a bit on the "ricey" side to me. I would get it checked out by a mechanic. If he approves it then go for it. Don't jump right into it before making a good inspection of it.

Just for a reference so this doesn't happen to you. I was into the DSMs since I had a 98 GS(slow) and I wanted a turbo model. I couldn't find one for cheap though. We finally found a 96 GST Vert for $1500 in need of TLC. I was so exited I didn't even check the crankshaft for any play(those cars are prone to this problem).After that we replaced the the clutch, timing belt, other random ****. Well the car ran pretty strong/good for one weekend. Then it started making a bad ticking sound. That's when I realized what happened. After driving the car about 250 miles it ended up crankwalking. Seriously it was probably one of the worst things that has happened to me. Yes I did cry and you guys can kiss my ***. Needless to say I ended up selling the car for about 1/5th of what we put in it. It all ended up good though since I have the GT now. Had I not been so closed minded when I was considering cars at that time I could've had a nice LS1 F-Body or 99/01 Cobra. Oh well you live and you learn I suppose....
Old 11-13-2006, 04:29 PM
dastangman
2nd Gear Member

Well, the S/C was installed recently and the car has been garage kept. I kind of used original owner in a very general term. As there has really been two previous owners. The very first owner probably was a huge ricer kid, but then he ended up selling the car to this guy I'm buying it from. This guy kept the car for about a year and put maybe a 1000 miles on it. He treats the car with lots of respect and removed everything ricey from it. He fixed up the engine, rewired things, and overall just got the car back into good shape, also putting on a few mods of his own.

I don't have any pics, but I'll get them soon. I probably will end up taking off the Cobra emblems. Just go regular mustang emblems. I would put GT, and most people would recognize, however, I just like the nice tribar running pony emblem a lot. Most of the reason it's never been dynoed is that there really isn't a performance shop around here. If any one knows of one around Central Iowa, that would be awesome. I did take the car to a mechanic today (I woulda taken it home, but didn't have someone to take my vehicle and had to get to work) and he said everything was in working order. Obviously with any used car he said you can hope that they will last to 200,000 miles, but you may get two weeks down the road and the thing just go kaplooh.

I'll get pics posted soon as the car is home. But, the owner has to work late tonight, I have to work late tonight. So tomorrow it will get picked up. See ya later!!
Old 11-13-2006, 05:29 PM
kylebgt
3rd Gear Member

neons+supercharger+fake badging. I bet the previous owners beat the **** out of it. Hopefully its in good shape.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:32 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

cool, can't wait to see pics
Old 11-13-2006, 05:35 PM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: mylongvictor

Going from a V6 to a V8 is like waking up in the morning and noticing you have a much bigger *****.... Its a great feeling!
And adding a supercharger on top of that v8 is like looking over and seeing your girlfriend a few cup sizes bigger. . .
Old 11-13-2006, 05:41 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

and welcome to the world of gas guzzing v8's
Old 11-13-2006, 06:55 PM
djb1187
5th Gear Member

lol becareful with that power. I remember when i first got out of my v6 and into my v8 driving in the rain was diffrent....seems like the car wanted to dance for some reason??
Old 11-13-2006, 07:44 PM
dastangman
2nd Gear Member

I can't tell you for sure if the car was beat on by the original owner. I mean, are neons and cobra badges and a supercharger(common mod on cars) really a reason to consider the car has been driven rough. I can bet it's seen several burnout, and it will see several more. And I bet it's been raced a few times, and might jsut see even more. But if the car had never had neons and cobra badges, would you still consider it as treated badly. As far as I can see, the car was kept in very good shape, save a few common flaws.

But anyways, I've bought the car already, there's no looking back. I just can't wait to pay this sucker off (shouldn't take long), put some more money into it, get it professionally tuned. The thing is, with the v6 I was so constricted to what I could do. But now I have something to work with, quite a lot of something to work with, and I'll be able to get those little flaws out, clean er up real nice, and maybe lay down some rubber at the Iowa Speedway next year.

As for buying a Cobra, that was out of the picture. The only one within the budget I could afford and was even possible to get to was a 94 Cobra with a few bolt ons and was 7500. However, it also had 150,000 miles, bald tires, scratches and a lot the same stuff as this car wrong with it. Insurance quote also left me gasping, and so I decided this was the car to go with. I'm positive there were other Mustangs close by within the budget, but I wanted V8 power, decent miles and 75000 for a 96 isn't too bad, and it had to be a 5speed. So in actuality my choices were narrowed quicker than you might think.

Quick Reply: Finally getting a V8!!!