4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

the next stages of my modding? input needed-

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 12:32 AM
rvoss5
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: the next stages of my modding? input needed-

ORIGINAL: dvs_03gt

okay let me restate this message.. again.

I ALREADY CURRENTLY HAVE:
18x9 saleen chrome rims / nitto 555r tires / o/r x (magnaflow) midpipe
mgw shortthrow on a 3650 / jlt intake / accufab plenum+tb (75mm)
bodywork (03-04 cobra front end)/ superchip tuner
tokico dspec adjustable shocks / mm caster+camber plates

NOW I AM ASKING WHAT I SHOULD LOOK TOWARDS INVESTING INTO NEXT. (gears? what?)
I want to s/c, I have paid of the gt and feel its not worth trading towards a cobra. (4v)
I really would be satisfied with 420~ rwhp. I would rather- If i could find a conservative, not fortune spending route, and i learn what to purchase i will look into building the car to hold more boost. what would i need? (I would do whatever this is over cams and heads).

i am either going vortech route or with a kb. (2.2l not the biggest bore they offer)

now spring wise i cant choose between sportlines or supersports / i dont want to sacrfice the ride quality, but i want it to look low, and snug. thats why i have been looking into coilover setups.. is it worth it?

with a good tune u won't need heads or cams. just make sure you have a dyno so u can tune it right. if your looking for a good supercharger, go with a procharger or another centrifigal s/c. more power for your money. for springs go with some progressive rate springs. they are a little more comfortable and u still get a real agressive look. i would recomend eibach pro kit. it's like 249 bucks. coilover is not going to help u unless your racing in the twisties and still it's not that much better than the pro kit with some decent shocks like the kyb2's.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:52 AM
MCanavan6
3rd Gear Member

Finish off exhaust with a cat-back and LT headers. Then get a MAF in prep for the S/C (if you are getting it soon).
Old 11-22-2006, 01:31 AM
dvs_03gt
4th Gear Member

yeh the exhaust route sounds good.

and i dislike the PROKIT. i want my car lower.. i hate the fender gap=/
Old 11-23-2006, 08:42 PM
dvs_03gt
4th Gear Member

bump i need some SUPPORT ON THIS please.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:08 AM
dvs_03gt
4th Gear Member

bump i need some tips on this!!!!
Old 11-25-2006, 05:06 AM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

im really starting to be sold on the kb twin screw... the powerband does stomp the procharger and makes equal power at 5500rpm..?

But id do a 4.10 and long tubes - they will help when you get a s/c ALOT.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:15 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dvs_03gt

I ALREADY CURRENTLY HAVE:
18x9 saleen chrome rims / nitto 555r tires / o/r x (magnaflow) midpipe
mgw shortthrow on a 3650 / jlt intake / accufab plenum+tb (75mm)
bodywork (03-04 cobra front end)/ superchip tuner
tokico dspec adjustable shocks / mm caster+camber plates

NOW I AM ASKING WHAT I SHOULD LOOK TOWARDS INVESTING INTO NEXT. (gears? what?)
I want to s/c, I have paid of the gt and feel its not worth trading towards a cobra. (4v)
I really would be satisfied with 420~ rwhp. I would rather- If i could find a conservative, not fortune spending route, and i learn what to purchase i will look into building the car to hold more boost. what would i need? (I would do whatever this is over cams and heads).

i am either going vortech route or with a kb. (2.2l not the biggest bore they offer)

now spring wise i cant choose between sportlines or supersports / i dont want to sacrfice the ride quality, but i want it to look low, and snug. thats why i have been looking into coilover setups.. is it worth it?

for all you who are far into the next stages of modding, what would you suggest? im waiting on my supercharger fund to finish itself up and that will be on the way but now i need some more light mods.. that will help better everything in the end.

catback? headers? cams? heads?

springs or coilovers?

should i look into lighter rims? mine right now are saleens (18") but they weigh like 33lbs or so
i dont know what to do next..
Forget the myth that you need supporting mods to run a blower. If its either get boltons now or a blower, no there is no doubt I would do the blower.

I ran around for 3+ years with the car, thousands invested, and it was simply disapointing. All the boltons, gears, cams, none of it really seemed worth it. 225 WHP vs 280 WHP is definatly a difference, and stock GTs were no challenge, but it still was thousands of dollars for a measly 55 WHP. There is NO doubt in my mind if I could do it all over again I would have started to save right away and got the blower as soon as possible (with the possible exception of gears).

Even a completely stock GT with a blower should make 360 WHP. To get to 420~ WHP your going to need to go with all the boltons and either a intercooled kit or a set of camshafts.

Old 11-25-2006, 05:22 AM
akelemecz
I ♥ Acer

I'd go ahead an up the gear ( 4.10 is my preference ).. throw on some long tubes .. and cut those stock springs about 1 5/8" in the front and about 1 1/4" in the rear if you want lower with out sacrificing ride quality ....

I wouldn't worry about buidling the block up or forging it yet .. as long as the mustang isn't super old .. go ahead.. get your blower on .. run it with a conservative tune .. somewhere around 375-400 rwhp for the time being .. then when you get some more cash .. just grab a forged kit .. about 1200 dollars most places.. slap it on .. retune .. and you're ready to go .. by then you'll be ready to find a nice suspension upgrade to make sure all the power is getting to those wheels .. shocks struts bushings lower ca's panhard bar tower strut brace weld in sub frames etc ....
Old 11-25-2006, 05:32 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: akelemecz

I'd go ahead an up the gear ( 4.10 is my preference ).. throw on some long tubes .. and cut those stock springs about 1 5/8" in the front and about 1 1/4" in the rear if you want lower with out sacrificing ride quality ....

I wouldn't worry about buidling the block up or forging it yet .. as long as the mustang isn't super old .. go ahead.. get your blower on .. run it with a conservative tune .. somewhere around 375-400 rwhp for the time being .. then when you get some more cash .. just grab a forged kit .. about 1200 dollars most places.. slap it on .. retune .. and you're ready to go .. by then you'll be ready to find a nice suspension upgrade to make sure all the power is getting to those wheels .. shocks struts bushings lower ca's panhard bar tower strut brace weld in sub frames etc ....
I think you need to recheck the prices on forged assemblys.

By the time you get it all together expect to pay about 2500 bucks all said and done. Most of the complete shortblocks are running around 3000-3500 with all the goodies.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:49 AM
akelemecz
I ♥ Acer

A forged internals kit .. pistons .. rods .. crank etc.. 1200-1500 and about another 1000-1500 to have it installed...

Quick Reply: the next stages of my modding? input needed-